7stw

RCO

I have a custom rifle and trouble getting a good group, I check the twist seem to be 1:10.5. What Im reading the slower twist may have to go to lighter weight.If I do the greefell cal. need a bullet length around 1.4, Im I reading this right. Thanks

I have a custom rifle and trouble getting a good group, I check the twist seem to be 1:10.5. What Im reading the slower twist may have to go to lighter weight.If I do the greefell cal. need a bullet length around 1.4, Im I reading this right. Thanks

A lot of 7stw's built before the last decade or so were built with 10" twist barrels. My lh 7mmstw has one of those 10" twist barrels and will spin pointy 140 and 150 grain noslers just fine. It gets into trouble with 170 grain and heavier though, and accuracy gets flaky.
My current load is 140 ab, 82.0 rl25, rem brass, 215-- .5 to .6 moa... 480 yard kill this year. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f126/fed-beast-124280/
I've also used the 150 lrab, 80.0 rl25, rem brass, 215 with good results but didn't have enough groups downrange to shoot my buck with the 150 this year.
Let her scream with a pointy 140 or 150; you'll have enough energy to get the job done past 1,000 yards and a flatter trajectory in that range also.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.