Why 6.5CM over 6.5PRC if you reload?

I bought a 6.5 PRC based on reasoning similar to yours. I will use it only for whitetails and below, but hope to become proficient at longer range (500+ yds). My hunting load this fall will be a 124 hammer @ 3300. I have high expectations for this cartridge/load.

If you are not going to shoot comp I'd run the PRC. If shooting comp creedmoor or a 6mm variant. You can reduce load the PRC but keep in mind you may reduce powder fill rate to the point the ammo is not consistent and accurate.

For larger bodied game the PRC is decent choice for sure if you are trying to stick with a short action. I have the creed, prc, and several 6.5-284's. I was not ever planning to going away from the 6.5-284 until I decided to build a switch barrel rifle based off the bighorn tl3 so I am giving the PRC a chance. So far it seems to be doing about what it is claimed to do. In the end, I would have ZERO issue buying a creed for deer inside 400, as you stated. Easy to find ammo, easy on barrels, low recoil, short action, accurate, fun to shoot. If you desire more horsepower, harder hitting, and possibly extend the ranges or go after larger game, the short action magnums are excellent choices.

Why buy a 7mm SAUM instead of a 7mm-08?
Why buy a .300 Win Mag instead of a .30-06?

Bigeclipse said:
It would seem that factory ammo, recoil and barrel longevity are the only positives of the 6.5CM over 6.5PRC.

The above are not insignificant reasons.
The 6.5 PRC is a fine cartridge, and I want a rifle chambered in one.
But it hasn't made the 6.5 Creedmoor obsolete.

Why buy a 7mm SAUM instead of a 7mm-08?
Why buy a .300 Win Mag instead of a .30-06?

The above are not insignificant reasons.
The 6.5 PRC is a fine cartridge, and I want a rifle chambered in one.
But it hasn't made the 6.5 Creedmoor obsolete.

exactly, and never will.

For a reloader, I would take into account brass selection. The CM has good brass from Lapua. Not sure about prc
ADG and Hornady make 6.5 PRC brass. Lapua may soon. I just received some PRC brass form ADG. Very nice but $$$.
I also just received some Lapua and Hornady brass for 6.5x284. I probably have 6 different makers of brass for Creedmore .

"im stuck with a unpopular rifle" don't hear that much?
The 6.5 Creedmoor does more than this community gives it credit for, but it ain't no ELR killer, one of mine is about go for a walk up the mountain in 2 weeks, with 156 EOL's loaded.
I'v been holding off and keeping an eye on the 6.5 PRC development, watching to see what it is, what it isn't, what it does do, what it doesn't do? Soon as I get another action/donor/rifle, I'l be on to the the 6.5 PRC bus.

"im stuck with a unpopular rifle" don't hear that much?
The 6.5 Creedmoor does more than this community gives it credit for, but it ain't no ELR killer, one of mine is about go for a walk up the mountain in 2 weeks, with 156 EOL's loaded.
I'v been holding off and keeping an eye on the 6.5 PRC development, watching to see what it is, what it isn't, what it does do, what it doesn't do? Soon as I get another action/donor/rifle, I'l be on to the the 6.5 PRC bus.
What barrel length and velocity are you seeing with the 156?

Halfway sounds like a bunch of drug addicts trying to get the first high again. A never ending battle that will never reach a satisfactory conclusion.
Relax all said in jest.

For myself I have different rifles for different tasks. I haven't hunted with 338LM but shooting it teaches me better habits and skills which in turn increase my marksmanship using smaller rifles and pistols.
Get both, be safe, have fun and enjoy.

If you reload, why would someone in the market for a new rifle buy a 6.5CM over a 6.5PRC? It would seem that factory ammo, recoil and barrel longevity are the only positives of the 6.5CM over 6.5PRC. From what I read is the 6.5PRC is ~200-250FPS faster than the 6.5CM if all else is equal. Ive been debating buying a new deer rifle and am wanting a 6.5prc but people keep telling me that for my needs a 6.5CM will do just fine (Deer out to 400 yards). In my head it is a win win to buy the 6.5PRC but maybe im missing something. With a 6.5prc I could load bullets at 6.5CM speeds for reduced recoil or I could have a fast heavy bullet for longer shots or should I ever decide to get into an elk hunt. The 6.5PRC could become very popular and have over the counter ammo similar to the creed which could make the point a wash. If it doesnt become super popular then yes, im stuck with a unpopular rifle, which could be hard to sell should I ever want to sell it but I dont tend to sell guns. So please, tell me why I should get a 6.5CM over the 6.5prc? Am I missing something? I am not saying this to sound like a smart alec or anything, im truly asking if there is something im missing. I guess the argument could be why get a 6.5prc at all since I reload. Why not some other wild cat then? Well my one reasoning for the PRC over 6.5-284 or something similar is the 6.5prc does have a chance to become a popular cartridge where as the others have already basically died out or never took off.

If you just run the numbers for the Hornady 143 ELD-X ammo in 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC, it appears the PRC shoots 1.5 MOA ( or 8 inches) flatter at 500 yards.
That 8 inch flatter trajectory could help a lot in a hunting situation. So for that reason, I would go with the 6.5 PRC for a hunting rifle.
And, in hand loaded ammo you can easily run that 143 ELDX right up to 3100 fps in a PRC. My best 143 load is 59gr of H1000 clocking right at 3100 fps out of a 26in Proof 1:8.

Personally if I was hunting WT deer (other than Coues) and 90% of my shots on game were less than 500 yards I'd pick the CM so I could shoot more and become a better shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.