Why 6.5CM over 6.5PRC if you reload?

Bigeclipse

If you reload, why would someone in the market for a new rifle buy a 6.5CM over a 6.5PRC? It would seem that factory ammo, recoil and barrel longevity are the only positives of the 6.5CM over 6.5PRC. From what I read is the 6.5PRC is ~200-250FPS faster than the 6.5CM if all else is equal. Ive been debating buying a new deer rifle and am wanting a 6.5prc but people keep telling me that for my needs a 6.5CM will do just fine (Deer out to 400 yards). In my head it is a win win to buy the 6.5PRC but maybe im missing something. With a 6.5prc I could load bullets at 6.5CM speeds for reduced recoil or I could have a fast heavy bullet for longer shots or should I ever decide to get into an elk hunt. The 6.5PRC could become very popular and have over the counter ammo similar to the creed which could make the point a wash. If it doesnt become super popular then yes, im stuck with a unpopular rifle, which could be hard to sell should I ever want to sell it but I dont tend to sell guns. So please, tell me why I should get a 6.5CM over the 6.5prc? Am I missing something? I am not saying this to sound like a smart alec or anything, im truly asking if there is something im missing. I guess the argument could be why get a 6.5prc at all since I reload. Why not some other wild cat then? Well my one reasoning for the PRC over 6.5-284 or something similar is the 6.5prc does have a chance to become a popular cartridge where as the others have already basically died out or never took off.

You can run a 6.5PRC at 6.5CM speeds....but not vice versa.

For a HUNTING rifle, no reason to go 6.5CM over 6.5PRC. You don't NEED 6.5PRC speeds out to 400, but it sure doesn't hurt anything.

For a target/high volume shooting rifle, 6.5CM is a wiser choice due to the reasons you already listed.

What about a 6.5SS or 6.5SAUM? Even more horsepower to be had with them.
Then you have the big 6.5s like .264WM, 6.5STW, 26 Nosler, 6.5-.300 Weatherby. And more.

Cost and availability of brass at this time and possibly in the future if the prc flops

Do you need the extra speed and recoil for your hunting distances, or just want it

Availability and cost of factory rifles.

Cm can be loaded long in a true short action, prc is pushing it. Std face vs mag face (if you care)

As you said, slightly more barrel life from a cm.

Cm is established, prc is still in its beginning stages.

But I say buy what you want, not what someone else thinks you should buy.

By that logic why not a 6.5 Weatherby. Or 26 nosler? You can always keep finding more speed in the next size up cartridge.
So it's kinda like chasing the next big thing. You can never catch it. Now as for your needs either will work I shoot my creed and larger game than deer at that distance and it works great makes a mess of the boiler room and goes right out the other side most the time. I think it's reasonable to find what you are gonna use it for and then get a cartridge that does that. The creed fits that bill great. Plus it will have less recoil than the pro. Which is always a nice thing even if you are not sensitive. I shoot some big boys and I still love the no recoil of my creed. I love the round just hate the people that think it's the greatest ever. It's perfect for what I use it for.

Barrel life can be a big issue if you really like shooting your new rifle. I put a considerable amount of ammo through my Creed in the first year I had it. Bigger is not always better.

With that said - the PRC has my attention too.

In a hunting rifle i would go PRC over CM all day, even as a non reloader. There are more and more rifles being released with it as a cartridge. the new savage high country looks awesome and comes in 6.5 PRC

It depends how far you want to shoot, 1 mile the 6.5 CM will do it, 2 miles then the 6.5 PRC, couldn't help my self Lol.

I see why huntera in areas like the northwest that only shoot to up to 100 or 200 yds dont need more than the Creedmoor but here in the west where you can shoot further the 6.5 PRC is a better option, and you can push heavier bullets for elk and moose as well.

I think 500 yds and under you don't need more than the CM, but further you are better of with the PRC.

It sounds like you prefer magnum speeds like some of us and I dont blame you. We don't want to just settle for just good enough.

By that logic why not a 6.5 Weatherby. Or 26 nosler? You can always keep finding more speed in the next size up cartridge.
So it's kinda like chasing the next big thing. You can never catch it. Now as for your needs either will work I shoot my creed and larger game than deer at that distance and it works great makes a mess of the boiler room and goes right out the other side most the time. I think it's reasonable to find what you are gonna use it for and then get a cartridge that does that. The creed fits that bill great. Plus it will have less recoil than the pro. Which is always a nice thing even if you are not sensitive. I shoot some big boys and I still love the no recoil of my creed. I love the round just hate the people that think it's the greatest ever. It's perfect for what I use it for.
The reason not the other calibers you mention is because they ended in flops as far as factory ammo is concerned where as the prc line may actually have some staying power.

The reason not the other calibers you mention is because they ended in flops as far as factory ammo is concerned where as the prc line may actually have some staying power.

Key word is may. Lol
You are correct though my point was you can chase that extra speed till you are blue in the face. For his intended purpose the creed is great. If he thinks down the road he may go farther the prc is probably the answer. I only say this because I was the guy who went all the way up the ladder to a 400gr going 3180fps and realized I still ended up grabbing my creed more often than not. That being said I'm like most here and if the prc was out when I bought mine I may have done that instead.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.