Why have you missed?

Why have you missed?

• Total voters
Adrenaline for me, I just get excited and I hate it! I wish I could chill out and not get so dang excited. But to me that's the fun of hunting, so I will just keep working on controlling it.

It's odd for me, give me a bow and I don't have the issue at all. Hand me a rifle and it's adrenaline issues like crazy! Because of this I focus really hard on getting really good rests so I just have more control and adrenaline gives me less issues.

Over the years both in the field under hunting conditions and in service rifle competition I have seen riflemen that were otherwise fairly good shots have problems in both prone position (which barring a rest) should be the absolute best possible shot a hunter or competitive shooter could take followed by a very tight, elbows inside the knees/thighs sitting position. I believe the reason some people have trouble with these 2 positions is lack of practice. I believe especially if a person is going on a hunt where it is possible that one of these positions might be the only alternative then one should practice from both positions as much as possible before the hunt.

I missed a cow elk by way overestimating the range (and, yes, that was before good laser rangefinders).

Shot over her back. Twice.

My wife has only missed one shot. She loves seeing every hair, and always keeps her Mark 4 turned to 14. Bullet clipped a branch she didn't see.

My life lesson came when I first started down the long range hunting path. In Colorado for my first mule deer hunt. Found a good hump to lay prone, good rest, overlooking an open valley. I had a Bushnell 1000 rangefinder. When a good buck walked out half way across the field. I ranged him and got ---. So I ranged a tree I thought was just ahead of him. 300 yards. So I shoot and he humps up and stands there. I shoot 3 more times at him broadside, nothing. Then It dawns on me maybe he's farther. I hold on his spine and shoot and he goes down. Found out he was 100 yards past the tree I ranged. Shot him way low the first time then 3 misses....... If you are gonna shoot long range then buy good equipment. A cheaper rangefinder almost cost me a 165 inch deer. I now own a Leica 2800. Doesn't miss a beat. I use the Bushnell to bow hunt now.

I've missed two deer. One a few years ago, nicked a branch about 10 yards in front of me. Shot over that buck, clearly my fault, and close range at about 130.
I had an extra doe tag last year and was having a terrible time with flare using an illuminated reticle. Wound up missing one at about 150 and was surprised. Later filled the tag, using the same rifle, nearly had the same issue.
Dr. visit concluded I've developed an astigmatism that has come on pretty quickly. I pulled that scope off, trading it for a single dot on the reticle.

Missing an easy shot is humbling.

Missing a chip shot all by yourself is not all that bad but in front of a group of hunters is the worst!
A shot at a nice bull elk at 250 yards with a 6-8 mph wind from west to east,should have been easy.A group of hunters with a guide coming down from their hunt stopped to watch.I was shooting over a canyon and had no idea that the wind in the canyon was way faster than where I was.
After the miss the guide and hunters came down and reminded me to never shoot over a canyon if you can help it.
I felt like a child.I got that elk the next day but not shooting over a 40 feet deep canyon.

There have only been 2 times that I shot at and missed an "elk". One was on a surprised and rapidly moving heard on the side of a mountain that I quickly guestimated to be in the 500 yd range, and from the sitting position, I gave slightly to much lead and watched my shot impact dirt just in front. However, I let that heard run up the top and slow then connected with a 890 yd shot.

The second was on a 1,200+yd shot on a walking bull that was about to leave my sight, and I rushed into a prone position and again misled the animal in the front. After that, he wondered into another hunter's range, and was taken down. That one really hurt my pride, for he was a very good bull and was taken by a first time elk hunter from another state.

Other game animal misses through the decades have involved trees and limbs, very tall, thick grasses, rapid standing shots and those running game that required immediate snap shots.

Other: Shooter's lack of attention to the details in front of your face!

300 meters calm morning shot prone off pack. Didn't account for the clumps of tall grass in front of my muzzle but not noticeable in my scope. Saw elk but didn't get another shot the rest of the season. Out of state once in a lifetime tag I only got because New Mexico at that time allowed residents who drew the tag that incurred serious injury or illness to transfer the tag to another hunter. Zero scouting totally unfamiliar with the area. I essentially received a phone call and load and go. Regrettably one of my top 10 worst hunts.

Shooting a moving deer or elk is not something I would even consider at 500 much less 1200 yards. I am not judging or trying to bring ethics into this at all. I just can't imagine trying to figure out all the variables involved in making this type of shot.

While I do not recommend it for most, I am a very experienced LR/ELR shooter with decades of various competition shooting and practice on still and moving targets. It was a quick judgement call on a very good bull, and like many others, I took the chance. But on this one, missed by a few inches.