Whitetailed Deer

bjsiillinois

Me and.my buddy heading for Southwest Montana tomorrow to hunt a couple weeks for elk and deer. I have a general tag, but it's a draw unit for Mule Deer, so I didn't get drawed for a tag. So my only choice is to hunt Whitetail. Obiviously we're going to be at higher elevations hunting elk, was wondering what my chances of seeing Whitetail at those elevations. I've never hunted whitetail out west, so I'm not sure where to look for them. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks Billy

From my own experiences quite often in SW mt you can find some nice whitetail bucks up in the mountains. They will prefer the bottoms of the drainages with little creeks but you will see them up in the parks feeding out of the timber

From my own experiences quite often in SW mt you can find some nice whitetail bucks up in the mountains. They will prefer the bottoms of the drainages with little creeks but you will see them up in the parks feeding out of the timber
Thanks, I'll keep a eye out for them.

What area are you hunting in MT. I hunted in the Bridger mountain range at at 6500' and both mule deer and whitetail. Like Braaten said the whitetails I seen were in the bottoms close to creeks and drainages. Good luck!

What area are you hunting in MT. I hunted in the Bridger mountain range at at 6500' and both mule deer and whitetail. Like Braaten said the whitetails I seen were in the bottoms close to creeks and drainages. Good luck!
We're hunting unit 300 west of lima, on the Contenental divide.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.