Which of your guns are really most important?

First no Ammo loaded,You pack your single stage loader along with all the 223/556 Brass and bullets powder thats available hopefully already have a simple plan in place, Small camp kit with necessities for survival

The one aspect of a slug is the threat is stopped IMMEDIATELY so the amount of ammo is reduced. Plus even if body armor, a slug will take the person off their feet easily from the energy. Slugs are overlooked as being archaic but when you need absolute self defense they give you the "one and done" fast. Not to mention, wicked on radiators and engines. Understand I am talking about full bore slugs and not some wimpy saboted bullet. A .729 full bore slug is nothing to be messed with with amount of energy and frontal area. The Sabot technologies slug will group inside an honest 2" at 100 yards with right barrel twist.
Stopping threats is only one aspect of taking care of a family on the run. Shooting medium and small game is also a requirement maybe out to 100yds or so, otherwise your bag full of 12 ga. radiator busters will be sitting next to your starved out body for the next guy to pickup to compliment the 223 he chose to bring.

My 50 cal savage muzzleloader. I shoot 43 grains of 5744 at 2100fps with hot Adt 458dia and 300 grain bullets with the orange mmp sabot . It will take any thing in North America . I routinely shoot it to 300 yards and have never missed with it . It will do everything I need it to do . The one pound of powder will net me 300 shots so carrying the ammo powder and primers and sobots weigh in at a whopping 6 pounds .
yeah that was my other thought too. If you ran out of projectiles but you have powder and primers, you can just about find something to toss in the tube in a pinch. A leaf wad, light load, and some pebbles would make a heck of a scatter gun. not sure how it would react with a rifled barrel though.

Fun scenario - Hard choices - 20 yrs ago grab AR's 1K rounds and be gone now on the other side of 50 years old. Id likely stand my ground with my closest friends and try to see them coming - start at about 1K with Lapua and work my way in. Last line defense likely M2 with Brenneke slugs. If I had to bug out it would be with the AR's and 10mm side arms about 1k 223 and 400 10mm. I can tell you for sure wife would be ****ed at the weight of her pack. Water and Ammo for the win to much game around to go hungry.

38 special. 6 inch revolver. 243 bolt. Lee hand loaders. HS6 and H414. Powder 10? Pounds, 500 bullets of 38 and 243 each. Primers.
If I had a 38/357 rifle I would take it and not the 243.

100 rounds of 330 Dakota 210 nosler partition. Works for the sheep caribou and grizz I would bump into in my bug out location, not too worried about two legged creatures up there

AR10 in 308 with 180gr SP
I shoot this very well to 600yds
yes its heavy
G22 40cal side arm
wife carries 18.5" M1 super 90 in 12 ga
G22 40cal side arm
we can hunt, fight, blow doors off hinges and scavenge

This is a survival/bug out bag question and if I understand it correctly, my wife and I both have bags, therefore, we can each carry a long gun and at least one pistol each. That said, In my bag I am taking a 20" 308 bolt gun with a folding stock and a 9mm pistol with 200 rounds each. In her pack, a 5.56/223 wylde AR SBR and another 9mm pistol and I am carrying in my hand or slung acrossed my chest a short tactical shotgun with 100 rounds (50 #6, 25 #1 buckshot, 25 slugs).
We will carry 500 rounds of 5.56 between us with 62 grain bthp. That gives us a thousand rounds total, 600 for me and 400 for her.

As to the specific guns in my safe that are making the trip? They are; a Tikka TSR-1 in 308 shooting 168 grain A max @ 2700 topped with an S&B PM II 3-12 and a Harris SBR bipod in a McCree's folding chassis, a Remington 20" V3 Tactical/Competition with an 8 plus one capacity, a custom built Wilson Combat 10.5" Pistol/SBR with a Holosun 501c, tac light and collapsible stock, and as bad as I hate to say it because I own far better options(That would hurt me to leave behind) but from a practical stand point they make the most since because if we do get in a firefight situation we would most likely be able to pick up extra mags and ammo off the bad guys, two GLOCK 19s; 2 10 rd mags for 308, 15 20-30 rd mags for AR, 4 pistol mags each.

We can hunt, fight and survive with these, as well as nuturalize any threat domestic or wild that may come our way.

Last edited:
Going on your rules, less I'm carrying everything at once. And I only get 1000 of each. LRM-300wm for scoped long range, LR-308 for AR 10,SR for 223 ar15, 209 for 12 gauge with buckshot or slug, LP for 357 revolver(Eliminate jams). I'm using all your criteria but I'm gonna need to hide a few if I'm carrying them, to use after I exhausted the others. Although I wouldn't mind a 1000 No 35 primers for 50Bmg for real long shots?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.