what has most important role on bullet accuracy

460or338

put aside the gun itself and breakdown the shell/gunpowder /primer/ bullet /bullet construction /velocity / and the ballistic coeffiecnt .which play's the most important role now i know i probably left somthing out or didnt word it right sorry lol. Can you have a slow moving bullet but with very high bc's .870+ and still have a very or farily accurate gun at range's of 900 yard's plus and when i mean slow i think 2100-2300 fps range but probably subsonic at the range i said .let me check a trajectory calculator etc.nope still supersonic at 1000 yards 1500 fps i think subsonic is 1090 fps or so .anyways can slow but high bc bullets be as accurate or close to a super high velocity bullet or similar or lower bc's?

Last edited:
I would say bullet based upon my own experience. I can change bullets and go from tennis ball size groups down to quarter size groups. The next item would be type and amount of powder. I will have to check the ballistics calculator about that last part.

put aside the gun itself and breakdown the shell/gunpowder /primer/ bullet /bullet construction /velocity / and the ballistic coeffiecnt .which play's the most important role now i know i probably left somthing out or didnt word it right sorry lol. Can you have a slow moving bullet but with very high bc's .870+ and still have a very or farily accurate gun at range's of 900 yard's plus and when i mean slow i think 2100-2300 fps range but probably subsonic at the range i said .let me check a trajectory calculator etc.nope still supersonic at 1000 yards 1500 fps i think subsonic is 1090 fps or so .anyways can slow but high bc bullets be as accurate or close to a super high velocity bullet or similar or lower bc's?

I will take the back door approach.

For accuracy the order would be= #1 the barrel, without a quality barrel you can't acheave
great accuracy #2 the workmanship, Another important item nessary to get the best out
of a good barrel.#3 the powder primer combination ( For the best SDs), #4 the bullet type
and weight and #5 your reloading skills. every thing else is wasted if the loading process is
hit and miss.

These things should be addressed in this order and if one of them is not at it's best it
should be resolved before going to the next step.

If one of these things are not in the equation accuracy will be very hard to come buy.

The order is very important to get consistant results. An example would be (The best load
will never be very good if the barrel is of poor quality and the best smithing cant make a silk
purse out of a sows ear (Bad barrel).

This is the method I use to acheave sub 1/2 MOA on all of my rifles, and so far It has worked.

J E CUSTOM

#3 the powder primer combination ( For the best SDs), #4 the bullet type
and weight

J E CUSTOM

I agree with the prior post on the relative importance of bullet compared to powder and charge weight, so would therefore reverse the order of above #3 and #4. #4 before #3.

My input based on my experience is that different bullets create a greater difference in group sizes in a rifle than powder/primer/charge weights, although both are part of the overall process.

For accuracy the order would be= #1 the barrel, without a quality barrel you can't acheave
great accuracy #2 the workmanship, Another important item nessary to get the best out
of a good barrel.#3 the powder primer combination ( For the best SDs), #4 the bullet type
and weight and #5 your reloading skills. every thing else is wasted if the loading process is
hit and miss.

These things should be addressed in this order and if one of them is not at it's best it
should be resolved before going to the next step.

If one of these things are not in the equation accuracy will be very hard to come buy.

The order is very important to get consistant results. An example would be (The best load
will never be very good if the barrel is of poor quality and the best smithing cant make a silk
purse out of a sows ear (Bad barrel).

This is the method I use to acheave sub 1/2 MOA on all of my rifles, and so far It has worked.

J E CUSTOM

I would add as either #1.5 or #2.5 the trigger.
If you have a 6# pull or a crappy trigger you'll never get near 1 MOA, much less under it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.