Which muzzle brake on a .300WM?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Demon061, May 3, 2014.

1. Demon061

Demon061 Well-Known Member

Thinking surefire. Kicks like a fucking mule right now (Winchester model 70, synthetic stock with no pad)

2. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

That's a lot of recoil for any of the best muzzle brakes to compensate! :cool:

3. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

I have a better solution, put a pad on it, preferably a Pachmyer Decelerator.
    Muzzle brakes are for 50 cal rifles, IMHO.

Cheers.
    gun)

4. dah605

dah605 Well-Known Member

5. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Demon, please watch your language.

6. Demon061

Aye pardon, usually post on a closed forum.

Muscle break seems good, heard a lot of good things. Just best for a potential follow up shot up here (the break versus just a recoil pad)

7. lsm62

lsm62 Well-Known Member

8. barnesuser28

barnesuser28 Well-Known Member

If you want the absolute best, check out the tuned Assassin brake from J E Custom, up to 70% recoil reduction.

9. Skyking

Skyking Official LRH Spponsor

[ame=http://youtu.be/tMLMof4P8Hk]The Fat Bastard Muzzle Brake vs 338 Lapua - YouTube[/ame]

10. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

The muzzle brake you can use depends on the diameter at the muzzle, i.e you might not be able to use the Assassin (or similar) on a light sporter barrel.

11. Demon061

Indeed, it's a light sporter (5/8") which is why I'm looking at smaller brakes. Actually just took a friend's vanguard out with his new brake and it did significantly decrease recoil... though that was only a 30-06. If I could upload pics I'd throw it up here, I don't much care for keeping a lot of our gun pictures on FB.

12. Brewer

Brewer Well-Known Member

I have a muzzle break on my model 70 300WM that was for a ruger 10-22. I turned a small tapered piece to make it look right on the end of the barrel and drilled and reamed the bore to about .330". very effective.

13. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

My smith just put a VAIS on my Brownington (frankenstein rifle ), so we'll see how that shoots once I pick it up from him. It will most likely be my new lightweight whitetail rig for this next season.

I usually shoot un-braked rifles, and prefer it that way, but we'll have to see.

If I like the way this Vais makes my rifle shoot, then I might be adding one to my .300 Ackley.

14. rpierce

rpierce Well-Known Member

If the muzzle diameter is 5/8 then my slabbed mini magnum muscle brake would work out perfect for it. Its designed for sporter weight barrels. I just ran out a few days ago but Len has them for sale on his online store. I should have some more in stock mid next week. If you have any questions don't hesitate to get a hold of me.

Ryan Pierce
    Piercision Rifles
    www.piercisionrifles.com