Which muzzle brake??

You are right about the Mercury suppressors. I have mercury reducers and Pahmeyer recoil pads on a 7.5lb 7 RUM and a 9 lb 338-378. Works perfect for hunting, but for off the bench doing load development or any time I am firing more than 3 shots to verify sight in to go hunting, I still screw on the brake. I can wear double hearing protection at the range, and as far as muszzle blast I stay well away from other shooters. Best of both worlds in my books.
That's the combination I use too. A mercury reducer and Pachmeyer Decelerator pad. It really tames a 416 Rigby loaded up to its full potential.

I'm pondering the idea of "braking" one of my rifles, and what I'm wanting is one that threads on and is similar diameter as the barrel. Other then those two "wants" what else should I look for in a quality and effective brake and who makes/sells them? Yes, I did google it first just didn't find a whole lot of info.

Weight of brake is not much a factor.

Thanks
The very best muzzle brake, a suppressor.....

Not when it comes to recoil reduction but certainly overall.
Agreed. In Canada Supressors aren't allowed. I have shot suppressed in Europe and south Africa and really like it for the lighter cartridges, really wish we could have them here but for the best recoil reduction, they are not the answer. Big boomers like the 460 Bee, 416, 375 Rum etc benefit from good brakes.

Agreed. In Canada Supressors aren't allowed. I have shot suppressed in Europe and south Africa and really like it for the lighter cartridges, really wish we could have them here but for the best recoil reduction, they are not the answer. Big boomers like the 460 Bee, 416, 375 Rum etc benefit from good brakes.
I have one that sits in Africa made by a Friend/gunsmith for the ridiculously low cost of 250.00.

There are pictures with it on my rifles from 300 WM to 375 Ruger in the thread I did here on that first hunt.

I shot both with different brakes but the same suppressor and while the suppressor did a good job it did nowhere near as good a job as the brakes. Definitely much easier on the ears though.

I had been wondering about suppressors in CA because it dawned on me I never saw them on rifles in the videos I've seen of Canadian Hunts.

I'm still trying hard to make up my mind on a Yukon Moose hunt.

I don't think AK allows them for hunting either for the same reason.

The very best muzzle brake, a suppressor.....
I would rather shoot a suppressed gun without a doubt. As far as recoil management goes awell designed brake of course is superior in recoil reduction. But **** that concussion blast even the good ones..... I would rather shoot suppressed with simple ear plug then doubled up protection to shoot a braked short barreled magnum.

For felt recoil reduction on the backend......
There is a lot to like about the Hart RAD 2a (adj for LOP Cant) Recoil System which is their newest ver plus it has a kick-ezz pad. Now combine that with a good brake/suppressor and you have one soft shooting gun even sub 10lb large magnums.

Last edited:
I would rather shoot a suppressed gun without a doubt. As far as recoil management goes awell designed brake of course is superior in recoil reduction. But **** that concussion blast even the good ones..... I would rather shoot suppressed with simple ear plug then doubled up protection to shoot a braked short barreled magnum.

For felt recoil reduction on the backend......
There is a lot to like about the Hart RAD 2a (adj for LOP Cant) Recoil System which is their newest ver plus it has a kick-ezz pad. Now combine that with a good brake/suppressor and you have one soft shooting gun even sub 10lb large magnums.
Suppressors have a built in muzzle brake, albeit not as effective as a dedicated brake. Tests here show about 30% more recoil reduction with a brake when compared to a suppressor unit. I wasn't joking 😬
Despite the horror of some people

I never stated it did not provide any reduction just not nearly as much as a brake. I agree suppressors reduce recoil.

No way a arbitrary % of brake vs suppressor could be established given there are larger differences in reduction just within popular brakes on the market. I bet the same would go for suppressors effect as well.

I still will take a suppressor over a brake accept in a competition setup or where clearly spotting my shots is critical on magnums.

My newest gun is a 21.5" 338 Mega cf stock is 6.5 lbs bare 8.5-9.5lb ready to hunt depending on scope rings setup. 250gr mv 2850-2900 fps 4667ft/lb is not behaving enough to spot downrange without a brake. But I will for hunting trade that for the sound and concussion reductions of the suppressor. Who wants to wear double ear protection hunting if they can get away with simple ear plugs!?!