Which muzzle brake??

Are you saying the MBs ruined his rifle and no longer shoot even without it? That's new to me. @skipglo, clarification, please. I do not want to hijack @KNOTFERSAIL's thread; a separate thread might be better served for an open discussion and add to the knowledge base esp, for those new to muzzle devices.
Hello Feenix. Here or elsewhere as you feel appropriate but I think the discussion here follows with the op's question. What is it you would like clarified my friend?

Relax! That is why I asked for clarification because I do not want to assume anything or my intention to start an argument. I always do load development with my MBs on. @skipglo, "IF" those MBs are threaded 5/8-24" and the kind I need/looking for, PM me, and maybe we can make some deals.
Will do! And yes to 5/8 × 24

Last edited:
Yes, IIRC, their smallest OD is .680." Nathan at MBM has a .670."
The Salmon Pro Tiny can be turned down to match up. I think both can ?

Description quoted below
Salmon River
Ti Pro Tiny:

4 Port Titanium Brake // OD .680 // OAL 1.8 // .65 Ounces

Just a little guy with big recoil reduction.

The Ti Pro line of brakes have been designed for maximum recoil reduction, while coming in at less weight than our competitors. These brakes come with wrench flats, and can be turned and tapered to your barrel. They come bored for 308, or .284 and 264.

Available Threads: 1/2x28, M13x75, M13x1.25
TI-PRO-Tiny2_p88_mm_p88_z200.jpg

Personally I like the look of a brake with a blended taper fit to barrel.

A shift in POI does not necessarily mean it is a bad MB unless one sight-in with it on and hunts with it off. In short, sight-in with your hunting configuration. Barrel harmonics in 30" esp. a in big boomer like the .338 LM is magnified. I had a similar experience with the .270 AI with a 30" barrel but I keep the MB on while hunting.

POI was ~8" high and to the right without the MB. Similarly, the 6.5 CM is 18" to the right from my suppressor to an MB.

6" high and 11" left, or 14 low and 8 right, and anything or everything in- between as long as you get a group it can be worked with...but vertical stringing in a basic straight line of over 6.5 inches.....out of my wheelhouse!

6.5" vertical stringing @ what distance? 100yd and 1000yd are very different levels of severity

ETA: 6.5" vertical @100yd from what use to be tight group something is very wrong with brake or tge attachment, threads, torque force etc. No way you get that from adding a brake @100yd from harmonics

Makes little sense to base decisions off of EXTREME examples that are equally extremely rare. There are litterally millions of rifles with muzzle devices working perfectly fine with at most slight tuning for harmo change and or changing sight settings to account for POA/POI changes.

Last edited:
6.5" vertical stringing @ what distance? 100yd and 1000yd are very different levels of severity

ETA: 6.5" vertical @100yd from what use to be tight group something is very wrong with brake or tge attachment, threads, torque force etc. No way you get that from adding a brake @100yd from harmonics

Makes little sense to base decisions off of EXTREME examples that are equally extremely rare. There are litterally millions of rifles with muzzle devices working perfectly fine with at most slight tuning for harmo change and or changing sight settings to account for POA/POI changes.
100 yards! Yes way... and two different brakes from 2 different competent builders producing the same results and as I said...I have many functioning brakes on many rifles and pics of the targets at 100 and witnesses who were present shooting. It happens, just something for others to be aware of and not blame their guns, hand loads, or scopes!

100 yards! Yes way... and two different brakes from 2 different competent builders producing the same results and as I said...I have many functioning brakes on many rifles and pics of the targets at 100 and witnesses who were present shooting. It happens, just something for others to be aware of and not blame their guns, hand loads, or scopes!

In no way am I questioning the autheticity or accuracy of what you are stating you observered. I do not see where I questioned that. What would be the point? Its the internet. I simple stated that you do not go from, as an example only, a 0.5 moa shooting rifle, with bare threaded barrel, to a 6.5 moa rifle, all vert no less, by attaching a brake and something not being amiss somewhere. It does not just happen. There has to be a cause. The most likely being the muzzle threads given what you stated about the brakes you tried.

Do not want to side track this thread with something that by your own observations is a rarity. Certainly not something to warn someone away from getting a muzzle brake. I would say to be sure to take your gun to a gunsmith with a known great rep for doing precision work and will stand behind their work for your barrel threading.

Crooked, off centerline, out of spec threads are something that can certainly bugger things up leaving you with a big headache and possibly in the end a shorter barrel.

I also completely agree with you on your points about not looking deeply at the scope or load. It's as easy as unscrewing the brake to confirm that.

Hello Feenix. Here or elsewhere as you feel appropriate but I think the discussion here follows with the op's question. What is it you would like clarified my friend?
6" high and 11" left, or 14 low and 8 right, and anything or everything in- between as long as you get a group it can be worked with...but vertical stringing in a basic straight line of over 6.5 inches.....out of my wheelhouse!
Brother, I responded to your PM. Cheers!

Ed

In no way am I questioning the autheticity or accuracy of what you are stating you observered. I do not see where I questioned that. What would be the point? Its the internet. I simple stated that you do not go from, as an example only, a 0.5 moa shooting rifle, with bare threaded barrel, to a 6.5 moa rifle, all vert no less, by attaching a brake and something not being amiss somewhere. It does not just happen. There has to be a cause. The most likely being the muzzle threads given what you stated about the brakes you tried.

Do not want to side track this thread with something that by your own observations is a rarity. Certainly not something to warn someone away from getting a muzzle brake. I would say to be sure to take your gun to a gunsmith with a known great rep for doing precision work and will stand behind their work for your barrel threading.

Crooked, off centerline, out of spec threads are something that can certainly bugger things up leaving you with a big headache and possibly in the end a shorter barrel.

I also completely agree with you on your points about not looking deeply at the scope or load. It's as easy as unscrewing the brake to confirm that.
I ,in no way Tim was warning anyone AWAY from getting a Brake. Not sure how you came to that conclusion! Love em personally....when they work! First time encounter for me...a few years back I would have thrown my scope away, and cut my gun into several pieces for what was a simple brake. Thank God it wasn't on the new gun when I bought it! That was all the comment was meant for...situational awareness!

Mark37082,
The blast and ear damage is why I'm hesitant myself. A stiff dose of retumbo is beating the sh!t outta me though

Feenix,
Patiently standing by 😁

Thanks for the feedback gent's
Look into a mercury reducer before going the brake route. Along with a good recoil pad, they are great for taming hard recoiling rifles.

Look into a mercury reducer before going the brake route. Along with a good recoil pad, they are great for taming hard recoiling rifles.
You are right about the Mercury suppressors. I have mercury reducers and Pahmeyer recoil pads on a 7.5lb 7 RUM and a 9 lb 338-378. Works perfect for hunting, but for off the bench doing load development or any time I am firing more than 3 shots to verify sight in to go hunting, I still screw on the brake. I can wear double hearing protection at the range, and as far as muszzle blast I stay well away from other shooters. Best of both worlds in my books.