Which Caliber?

8-9tw 270ai. The 170 eol 150 ablr and the matrix 165 175 if you can get someone to import them for you. 3000fps from a longer than 26" barrel 2900+ from a 22-26" if you use rl26 or 565,570 will be achievable..
You would need a sizer and you have a factory ammo option in a pinch. Sectional densities of .3 which is similar to the heavy 6.5 bullets with more mass and although small more frontal cross section.

6.5-284 Norma gets my vote. I've been loading and shooting it for nine years now and it has never disappointed me. With 140 class bullets in the 2950-3000fps range it easily hangs with my .300WinMag for smacking steel and targets to 1000yds. I have both set for 300yd zeros and the come-ups are nearly identical most days. That's with my .300WinMag loaded with 208-215gn bullets. 6.5-284 recoil, to me, is mild and tolerable for a day of shooting.
I used Lapua brass with my first barrel, a stock 26", Savage, and had nine loading's on those 100pcs of brass with no problems or end in sight. I got the hankering for a new barrel and screwed on a 28" Lothar Walther pre-fit and a shooting buddy gave me 250pcs of mostly new Norma brass. I'm about halfway through my fourth loading on all of those. I haven't lost any of these cases either but If I had to start over with this cartridge and brass, I'd go with Lapua, regardless of cost.
The farthest I've killed a deer with it; 723yds using the 140gn A-Max. Fully confident results would be the same out to 1000yds using 143gn ELD-X or 140gn VLD Berger.
No burnt throats yet.

I am leaning towards the 6.5-284 I have been thinking about this cartridge for two years now, it seems to be the most easily to convert my 270 towards without having to invest heavily, I like the Sherman's, but more I think on them, the more I would need to invest. I need to look at some loads for the 6.5-284 Norma, see if my mag powders I currently have will work or if this is going to need a different powder type.

I like the idea of the 6.5x55. That's a fun round to shoot. If you reload and looking for a .30 cal, maybe consider a 300WSM on the long action. I'm shooting 210 Bergers at 2850 with the long action. Plenty of room in the mag.

The 6.5x284 is truly hard to beat!

You won't have any trouble keeping the bullets seated out far enough in that action either.

You'll probably be happier with the carting and handling characteristics with a shorter carbine length barrel. Yes, one loses some velocity, but even the 16" barrel I have in mine gets velocities that are roughly the same as folks using 24-inch barrels with the Creedmoor.

I have a Winchester M70 Lightweight Carbine I purchased when I was 18, that was 24yrs ago. I am looking to re-barrel this rifle, I was thinking about sending it to Hart Barrels and have them put a new barrel on it. That had me thinking about changing caliber as well, with the M70 receiver, what would you guys recommend? I had thought about a 6.5-284, what would work for that receiver? I reload my own ammo, but I don't want to make my own brass, I would like to stay with something that is readily available on the market. I do not have a 30 caliber in my arsenal and do not have a 6.5 in my arsenal. Any thoughts out there that I could use with the receiver?

Thanks.
Don't reinvent tll
I have a Winchester M70 Lightweight Carbine I purchased when I was 18, that was 24yrs ago. I am looking to re-barrel this rifle, I was thinking about sending it to Hart Barrels and have them put a new barrel on it. That had me thinking about changing caliber as well, with the M70 receiver, what would you guys recommend? I had thought about a 6.5-284, what would work for that receiver? I reload my own ammo, but I don't want to make my own brass, I would like to stay with something that is readily available on the market. I do not have a 30 caliber in my arsenal and do not have a 6.5 in my arsenal. Any thoughts out there that I could use with the receiver?

Thanks.
Don't reinvent the wheel. Why not go with the trusted and proven 30-06?
Bullets are available at Wally World, easy to load for , and capable of taking any North American game. JS

Thanks.
Go with a 30 cal, you won't be sorry. I have a 6.5, but I go for my 30 cal.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.