Which caliber for mule deer

I bow hunt mulies in Alberta distance should not be a problem
Pick whatever you are good with and relax

Here's my question. I have had a last minute change to go on a once in a lifetime mule deer hunt in Alberta. And I don't feel like any of my rifles are completely dialed in. Calibers to choose from 300 rsaum. 308 7mm Rem mag. 308 is closest to being done. Just need to confirm data. 300 is good for 400 yds. 7mm is in the load development stage. Current load is 3/4to 1 moa I have 2 days to get one ready. What would you do

Shoot the one you shoot most accurately and have the most confidence with.

Be a real hunter. Sneak up close to one with a 30-30. That caliber has probably killed more deer than all the other ones combined.
Why are you here?? Can't get any more obvious.....just a troll.
20191030_090604.jpg

Here's my question. I have had a last minute change to go on a once in a lifetime mule deer hunt in Alberta. And I don't feel like any of my rifles are completely dialed in. Calibers to choose from 300 rsaum. 308 7mm Rem mag. 308 is closest to being done. Just need to confirm data. 300 is good for 400 yds. 7mm is in the load development stage. Current load is 3/4to 1 moa I have 2 days to get one ready. What would you do

Shoot the one you shoot most accurately and have the most confidence
7mm is playable now. Improve it best you can and fast. Bring 1 backup rifle. Get the deer.

Load up the two that you are most comfortable with and head out the door! Confidence in the rifles goes a long way! Keep it within 300-400 and they all should work well.

Any of your guns will take down a Mule Deer. they are NOT gigantic creatures. they are about the same size as a White tail. I'm in Montana and we have about the same deer as Alberta CA does. I've killed 150 to 300+ # white tail and Mule deer here in Montana with M-1 Carbine, 22-250, 243, 30-30, 30-06, 270 very seldom do I need more than one shot. use what ever you are most comfortable shooting both short range and long shots with. any of the above Cal's will take one down easily. remember Mule Deer are DUMB they will usually trot about 20 yards Stop and turn sideways to you to see what you are and what you are doing. just stand still for a moment while they check you out and if you are still they will Probably go back to grazing right there.

Dang never thought about the creed. I do have one of those in a 6 dialed in !!! The 308 is losded with 168 Bergers 2700 FPS under a .5 moa all day long verified at distance. Been shooting that rifle a lot for a couple of year. Recently changed from the 155s to the 168s haven't shot it much past 500 to check the dope. Only concern with this gun is the energy at 600. Looks like about 1100. Would not hesitate to use it on a whitetail That's what I put it together for. Wasn't sure if that's enough thump on a muley

Live long and prosper!

This will do great on a mule deer!!!

Btw hundreds of mule deer die each year with SUBSTANTIALLY less than 1100fpe

10mm, 357mag, 44mag etc

Shot placement
Shot placement
Shot placement

Repeat

Zen

My buddy and I been hunting the big Alberta mulies every year for over a decade. While 1000 yards shots are certainly possible, the average distance for 20 mule deer taken has been about 250 yards, with 100- 750 yards for our animals taken. They do run BIG(see my avatar). My favorite is my 6.5x284 with a 140 at 3000FPS, my buddies favorite is his 300WM with a 200 Accubond. Both have proven to highly effective. While your 308 will get the job done, of your rifles, I would probably opt for the 7Mag or 300.to better accommodate your 600 yard range spec. As was brought up by Cody, the wind can be pretty stiff up there during the deer season.

Dang never thought about the creed. I do have one of those in a 6 dialed in !!! The 308 is losded with 168 Bergers 2700 FPS under a .5 moa all day long verified at distance. Been shooting that rifle a lot for a couple of year. Recently changed from the 155s to the 168s haven't shot it much past 500 to check the dope. Only concern with this gun is the energy at 600. Looks like about 1100. Would not hesitate to use it on a whitetail That's what I put it together for. Wasn't sure if that's enough thump on a muley
The 168gr Berger is more than capable of putting a muley down at 600yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.