Which cal for muledeer long range?

Well I can tell you that a 338 Lapua with 300 gr Berger Hybrids will do a fine job of killing a mature mule deer buck at 750 yards.... But it is not my first choice for this application for some strange reason:

imagejpg1-6.jpg

Possibly because I like to eat back straps...
Thank you for solidifying my opinion of .338's being overkill... Now, if anyone wants to argue with me, please observe Exhibit A. ^^^^^

That was my intention. I saw a lot of talk on 'over-kill' cartridges here and thought it may save someone from learning about overkill the 'hard way', as I did. It's not something that I am proud of.

I would think that 7STW's, 300 RUM's, and equivalent could product similar results under the wrong conditions.

That said, I love my 338 Lapua. It is a pleasure to shoot and I'm nearly through my second barrel on it. It is by far my most consistent rifle for shots over 500 yards, especially when wind is a factor, as it was in this case. BTW, I think it is about right for elk (calfs and yearlings excluded).

Since the 'incident' I've been using my 243 win and 6mmART40 for mule deer with 105 gr AMax's. All animals shot have been recovered, but there's been more tracking involved than I like. Having a 260 remington built for next year. That may be the ticket.

Thank you for solidifying my opinion of .338's being overkill... Now, if anyone wants to argue with me, please observe Exhibit A. ^^^^^

That was my intention. I saw a lot of talk on 'over-kill' cartridges here and thought it may save someone from learning about overkill the 'hard way', as I did. It's not something that I am proud of.

I would think that 7STW's, 300 RUM's, and equivalent could product similar results under the wrong conditions.

That said, I love my 338 Lapua. It is a pleasure to shoot and I'm nearly through my second barrel on it. It is by far my most consistent rifle for shots over 500 yards, especially when wind is a factor, as it was in this case. BTW, I think it is about right for elk (calfs and yearlings excluded).

Since the 'incident' I've been using my 243 win and 6mmART40 for mule deer with 105 gr AMax's. All animals shot have been recovered, but there's been more tracking involved than I like. Having a 260 remington built for next year. That may be the ticket.
For elk sized game and larger, I can understand completely. But for anything smaller (mulies, whitetails, etc...) I just don't see anyone being able to justify using one. And your picture is exactly why. At that point, why even bother going to harvest the deer....Might as well let it lay and let the coyotes pick off what's left of the ruined meat.

Yes, the 7STW's can be explosive at fairly close ranges, which is why I won't shoot a deer under 300 yards with mine....I learned that lesson the hard way the very same year I bought it new (2002). I also have a big .300 Ackley Improved Magnum, which is an improved version of a .300 Wby Mag, and I'm sure it will be a meat killer, too, if shot inside of a certain yardage. For me, I won't take my STW or .300 Ackley, unless I'm shooting atleast 500 yards at game. If not, then I bring my 7mm RemMag (my actual designated "deer rifle"). If placed right, it does very little meat damage and drops them like a rock.

Thank you for showing that you are a sensible .338 owner. :)

I get so sick of hearing deer hunters talk about how they want a .338 RUM or .338 Lapua to hunt whitetails with here in Alabama... They day they develope fangs and start eating human flesh might be a different story, but until then, it is completely useless to me. :cool:

I've shot probably close to 115 White tails with the STW and NEVER had anything remotely close to that kind of damage.

I shot a doe with the 165gr 300wm SST two years ago and that was probably the worst I've seen damage wise. Hitting nothing more solid than ribs it left a fist sized hole on the back side. That was the point at which I decided the SST was just too explosive to use at under 400yds.

90% or more of the deer I've killed with the STW were killed with 139gr interbonds or interlocks. Usually about a golf ball sized exit or smaller and they were all dirt dead when they hit the ground. Probably half of the remainder with 154gr inderbonds and the balance were killed with accubonds with similar results.

Most were killed between 400-750yds.

The one whitetail I shot that did that kind of damage with my STW was around 100 yards with factory Federal Premium 160 SGK's. Which is why I haven't shot game with Sierras since that day either.

Might have been a fluke, but it blew one whole shoulder out (exit side) and ruined 1/2 of the first shoulder it entered.

Like I said, might have been a fluke, but it was massively devastating. Past 300, I've had no issues.

I like the 7mm mag for deer sized game. It's not new or flashy, but itworks. I shoot 168g Berger's at 3017. The rifle has a 26" Pac Nor barreland shoots 1/2 MOA if I do my part.

Just returned from Wyoming and filled 3 deer tags. A forked horn and twodoe's. There is meat in the freezer. The distances were 265, 525, and 391. The265 was the hardest shot, sun in my eyes, bad ground couldn't get flat andbehind the rifle, tall grass.

I had fun.

Ok I'll bite, for the sake of constructive argument...
I have seen worse with a .444 with factory 240 grain loads. That was the most destructive thing I have ever seen on deer, several of them so it wasn't a fluke. I don't see many folks bitching about it being some kind of super magnum.
The biggest wound channel I have inflicted on a deer was with a .30-06 and 180 grain corelokts. At a slight angle (looks like the picture may have been the same) it hit a rib going in and must have blown out at least two on the way out. I couldn't believe the carnage.

Thank you for showing that you are a sensible .338 owner. :)

I get so sick of hearing deer hunters talk about how they want a .338 RUM or .338 Lapua to hunt whitetails with here in Alabama... They day they develope fangs and start eating human flesh might be a different story, but until then, it is completely useless to me. :cool:

I'll tell ya what makes me sick, people whining about the big bad man with the .338. I actually think it's hypocritical for somebody to shoot those poor little deer with something as badass as a 7mm STW (at least some try to tout it as the great thing ever) and try to tell me that I'm "over gunned". Most people would say the same thing about your super 7mm. My rifle just shoots a bigger bullet than yours, get over it man. Oh this might really get the debate going; I went deer hunting this afternoon with my newly purchased .408 Cheytac! I must be compensating for something.:rolleyes:

Edited to say: believe it or not I'm not PO'ed, I just tend to give at least as hard as I get.

Take it or leave it...Everyone has an opinion, just like you. I have seen several deer taken with a .444 Marlin, my old man has one he's used for years. Makes a hell of a mess...Which is why you don't see me using one of those either...

Scared? Hardly... Just think for deer sized game it's overkill unless you don't plan on eating what you kill. And I never said just because you owned one made you overcompensating...You did. Everything has its place.

Here in Idaho Mule deer country where we actually hunt them in the field and not on the computer, just about anything is used. They are easily killed and do not need any special caliber or cartridge. On the small side the 223 is used and on the big side the 7mm Rem is used. the 243 t0 the 30 06 is the most prevalent with the 270 Win just about the most common. Due to long shots I prefer the 7mm cal myself. Nothing magical about a Mulie. Most are within 400 yds.

All on here will disagree with this....A 243 with a old school 85 to 100gr bullet will kill a Mulie faster than a 7mm Rem with a 162 amax. It is not the caliber or the cartridge. Its the bullet. 162 amax penetrates 4 inches and grenades . 100yds to 500 yds. Seen it time and time again.

Shot placement, Shot placement and shot placement are the most important factors. Then the bullet construction, then the cartridge . This is the priorty factors if it is kept in the 350 yd plus or minus range.

We chuckle at the big time city hunters that come in and hunt with the new snazzle dazzle best in the world Mulie cartridge. They are not ELK. Simple Mulies are all they are.

Elk on the other hand is a different story. The 270 to the 338 are what EVERY one uses with the 30 06 being the most popular for the masses. The 7mm Rem and 300 Win are tied for the most common used for reloaders and serious hunters that want to stretch the distance. with the 338 caliber a very distant 3rd choice

Here in Idaho Mule deer country where we actually hunt them in the field and not on the computer, just about anything is used. They are easily killed and do not need any special caliber or cartridge. On the small side the 223 is used and on the big side the 7mm Rem is used. the 243 t0 the 30 06 is the most prevalent with the 270 Win just about the most common. Due to long shots I prefer the 7mm cal myself. Nothing magical about a Mulie. Most are within 400 yds.

All on here will disagree with this....A 243 with a old school 85 to 100gr bullet will kill a Mulie faster than a 7mm Rem with a 162 amax. It is not the caliber or the cartridge. Its the bullet. 162 amax penetrates 4 inches and grenades . 100yds to 500 yds. Seen it time and time again.

Shot placement, Shot placement and shot placement are the most important factors. Then the bullet construction, then the cartridge . This is the priorty factors if it is kept in the 350 yd plus or minus range.

We chuckle at the big time city hunters that come in and hunt with the new snazzle dazzle best in the world Mulie cartridge. They are not ELK. Simple Mulies are all they are.

Elk on the other hand is a different story. The 270 to the 338 are what EVERY one uses with the 30 06 being the most popular for the masses. The 7mm Rem and 300 Win are tied for the most common used for reloaders and serious hunters that want to stretch the distance. with the 338 caliber a very distant 3rd choice
WHAT!!!!!
The 30-06 and .270 kill elk? Wow to hear some say they ain't enough gun. It has to have magnum in the name or it isn't enough...

Sounds like the people hunting in Idaho is about like here in Alabama. The.243 to the .30-06 are the most popular calibers used. Coming in 2nd would be the 7mmRM and .300 WM. Third and lower would be all the rest.

Just about, if not all the bolt guns on the shelf at Walmart and the gun stores around here,
30-06
7 RM
300 WM
That's it, and they only stock what they can sell....

Well said idaho elk hunter! Bullet placement and bullet type is key. And bullet varies from cal to cal, there's a difference say between 308 and 300rum so the bullet that works great for 308 may have very different results shot from 300rum.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.