Which rifle route for long range?

My 300wsm barely kicks at all even with no brake. Forgot to mention it's 77 pounds.šŸ˜
That's why I mentioned 7saum. Not bad on recoil and very accurate at long-range and is suitable for elk and deer. Fits in a Tikka perfectly throated long. Long throated 7saum will keep up with a 7mag that has a standard throat. My 77 pound 300wsm is going to be a 75 pound 7saum very soon.
Shep

Different strokes for different folks but I don't think a big 30 cal magnum is the best option to start out shooting for long range precision. I'm fairly recoil tolerant but recoil management comes into play regardless of how recoil tolerant a person is when shooting a big magnum 30 cal will a 230 gr bullet.
Been considering a 7 rem mag as well due to the ~25% less recoil. I'm sure it will still shoot an elk dead at 800 yards

If it were me, I'd pick a cartridge and buy it in one of the savage LE/target models or the new proof carbon barreled Ultralight that savage has. I've had a couple rem700, even semi custom, and all but one of my savages has shot better than any of my rem700. The worst grouping savage I own is a very light 375h&h (barely over 7lbs scoped and loaded) and if I can keep from flinching it's still a sub moa rifle with most factory loads. My 338 lapua stealth is regularly does 3/8 moa, and my 308 stealth shoots groups that are barely larger with multiple factory ammo options. You don't NEED a custom to shoot small groups these days.

Likes other's have said, don't go 28 Nosler, I love mine and once I'v a load, it doesn't get shot much after that, even with the extra barrel I have! If your still new to the long range game, get yourself a 308WIN, to train with, to learn ballistics and wind. Then move to a flatter shooting caliber of your ballistic choice?

A few years back I was looking for a similar solution. Ended up with a Savage 111 Long Range hunter (Now 110) in 7mm rem mag. $900+-, added an Athlon ARES ETR for another $1100. She'll shoot 1/2" moa or less all day, with 67.1 gr of H1000 under 160 gr Accubond or 162 gr ELDX at 3000fps. Effective kill range = 600-700yds on Moose, Elk, Mule Deer, Black Bear. Effective target range 1000yds +.

7mm mag in a weatherby vanguard with a good scope and add a timney trigger fro about 650. total and well .. to be hones t winchester had a economical model 70 black syn stock with 26" tube is still the most accurate rifle I have ever shot.. price with scope was 350.00

So I'm sure this question has been asked more times than one can count.

So I want to use your guys knowledge versus my very little. I'm wanting to get a rifle for long range hunting (elk/deer) and also be good for target shooting. With that being said I don't need it to be the lightest gun on Earth. I want something accurate perferably sub 1/2moa. I'm considering 300 prc and 28 nosler but considering others. My main question is which route should I go bergara hmr pro, Remington 5r, savage w/ proof barrel, barreled action and build my own or rebarrel a Tikka, etc. What would you do to get a very accurate rifle without buying a $5000 custom.
For no special reason the 300 PRC has been getting my attention lately...

For no special reason the 300 PRC has been getting my attention lately...

I just put one together on a savage. Still haven't shot it yet between quarantine and shoulder surgery though šŸ˜”
20200507_205138.jpg

The way I see it if your going factory then you either choose the rifle you want then the chambering or choose the chambering & then a rilfe that produced that chambering.

If $5K the entire budget including glass or just rifle??

If its just rifle then you could afford a custom rifle over there in whatever chambering you want.

I have produced 1/2 moa accuracy or less with Remington's, Tikka's, Browning's with handloading & selected factory ammo.

It just depends what you like about a particular make.

Not much wrong with a Sendero!

Last edited:
I have a savage 111 long range hunter in 300
Win mag. No regrets on the brand and build of rifle, and especially no regrets on cartridge selection. My vote is for .300 win mag all the way, no questions asked. Its history of and ongoing success in competition, hunting, and military use demonstrate that a) the short neck is not a problem, b) the belt isn't hurting a thing, c) coal restrictions just aren't the problem they're made out to be or can be worked around easily enough. The fact that is is so popular endures cheap, diverse, and available brass compared to the other newcomer cartridges.
I don't have a ton of experience with other brands or with anything truly long long range but the experience I do have would suggest that if this is your first real long range rig and your learning on it get a savage of some flavour in 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. I'm certain you won't be sorry.

im especially fond of the 30 calibers. They may kick a little more and there's some things the 6.5s and 7s do just as well but there's really not many situations at all that a big 30 of some flavour isn't a great choice for.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.