Which bullet for deer for 6.5CM inside 400 yards?

When my 260 used to be a 243 I used Barnes ttsx and did pretty well. My 375 h&h fouled really bad with them. Only thing I don't like about them and has kept me from trying them in the 260 is the bc is quite low compared to the cop and core bullets you'd be replacing and with published loads you get the 140 grain velocity with a 120 grain bullet.

I don't post much on here but try to pay attention to what's going on in the shooting community. I'm a full-time gunsmith and have been chambering and reloading the Creedmoor since before it took over for the .260 in PRS style matches. I have tried every high BC bullet made, but always come back to the 130 JLK. It's G7 is about .293, and I've never had any bullet perform the way it does. I shoot 'em in an 8" twist, 26" Bartlein and generally find my accuracy node between 2930 and 3015. I use Lapua SR brass and leave them .015" off the lands. Shot placement is always the main ingredient to any potential DRT scenario, but I have hit some quartering pigs at 250 that blew the intestines, tissue and who know what else out the back side of it. I take mostly neck shots on whitetails but I haven't had one fail even on shoulder shots on the largest boar, and don't think I've had anything run more than a few feet. They are similar to Berger 130 VLDHs in most respects, but I believe they perform better. My $.02

I see a lot of you use hammers are they jump sensitive? ie need to be close to lands or not. I shoot 6.5"s don't have a creedmore but for deer I use 120 nbt usually drt.

5 whitetail this season all using factory 143 eldx all under 200 yards. 2 head shots, 1 200 yards high shoulder Dropped immediately , 1 @120 yards low shoulder ran 20 yards, 1 @110 yards neck Dropped immediately (see photo)

Attachments

• Deer2018.jpg
    Deer2018.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 143
I have tried every high BC bullet made, but always come back to the 130 JLK. It's G7 is about .293, and I've never had any bullet perform the way it does.
Can't say I've heard of a "JLK" bullet. What is it (other than similar to a VLD?)

I have taken 2 Muley bucks at 600 yards and at 437 yards with a Nosler Accubond and its impossible to die any quicker!
Hornady Interbond did the same thing but they stopped making the Interbond so they could come out with the ELDX.The ELDX should do the same thing as the Interbond but I have a killer load with the Accubond.
DropShot

I forgot to mention that I have taken more than 2 Muleys but they were at close range.
I worked up my load with the Accubond and have bought Hornady ELDX but as of yet I have not completely worked up a load with it as of now.
Bergers were the easiest to work up a load for but I have not shot anything with the bergers yet.

I see a lot of you use hammers are they jump sensitive? ie need to be close to lands or not. I shoot 6.5"s don't have a creedmore but for deer I use 120 nbt usually drt.
They are not sensitive to seating depth. You can seat them close or jump them.

Sounds like an assumption. Got any viable proof??

Me: I will use anything except a match bullet (I can't unnerstand why some people use these for game animals when they are designed for paper only), any Sierra bullet or a Berger.

I want something that will leave holes on both sides or both ends.
Sounds like an assumption. Got any viable proof??

Me: I will use anything except a match bullet (I can't unnerstand why some people use these for game animals when they are designed for paper only), any Sierra bullet or a Berger.

I want something that will leave holes on both sides or both ends.

Proof? As in empirical science? There is loads of it out there and I've read some of it, done by the people who study the mortality rates and causes of death of scavengers who feed on carcasses of game shot with lead projectiles but lost by hunters and farmers. However, I trust you can find it yourself on something like Google Scholar.

Then, of course, there is the basic logic: When someone does a comparison of the mass of a bullet before shooting and after recovery in game, they brag about things like 90% retention. Well, where does the other 10% go? The basic principle of conservation of mass says it's somewhere in the carcass. I've picked out the pieces of lead I could find but it was never anywhere near the amount of loss mass.

And just so we're clear, copper is not truly non-toxic. It ought to be called less toxic. For example, lead-based bottom paints for boats were outlawed years ago. Back in the day, you used to be able to go to a harbor with Navy ships docked in it and find little growth on adjacent docks and pilings. The lead was leeching into the water and killing the surrounding barnacles, etc. Well, when they outlawed lead based bottom paints, manufacturers changed the basic metal to...you guessed it, copper. Now copper has been outlawed as too toxic for the marine environment in many places.

I will still use copper projectiles for hunting for three reasons. First, it is substantially less toxic than lead. Second, copper bullets typically retain most or all of their mass when shot into animals at reasonable speeds. Third, the little flecks of copper are a lot easier to see in a carcass than lead.

Don't get me wrong. I love to hunt and eat my kills and feel that, on balance, wild game contains fewer toxic substances than most domestic livestock; I just want to keep it that way. While I still wonder what's in all those plastic tips our bullets are now topped with, at least they're brightly colored and easy to find when you butcher.

Yes that could be it the first was looking at me but trying to figure out what I was the second knew something was up but wasn't sure what.
Man I need to crank up my speed on my creed I'm only at 2854 with the 124 hammers. Ran out of time to finish my ladder. Quick load said my charge of varget was way to hot but I'm getting no pressure at all and speed seems a bit low. I'm hoping to keep going and be around the 2950-3000 mark being I'm using a 22" tube. Good news is I shot a group today at 200 that all were touching. Have just enough ammo left for a audad and some pigs next week.
You might try a slower powder than Varget, that is more of a .308 M1A powder for it's timing cycle

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.