Help choose Sig cross in 308 or 6.5cm for hunting deer to 400 yards.

Bigeclipse

All

I'm looking for help in choosing the caliber for a sig cross I will buy. It comes in a 308 16in barrel or 6.5creed 18in barrel. This will strictly be for my woods walking deer gun so most shots will likely be inside 200 yards. There is one field which does have 400 yard shots but if I planned to sit that field I'd likely bring one of my other rifles but just in case I happen to walk to that field with this rifle, I still want to know I could shoot 400 and take a deer. I have other rifles for longer range hunting and i routinely shoot out to 600 yards with those. The reason I'm really interested in the sig cross is how handy it is and how it is more modern in setup. Short barrel is nice for maneuvering thick woods (I will not be able to suppress it due to state law). I also LOVE how quickly you can adjust the stock. This means my wife could also use it if she wanted to and I can also adjust length of pull to how thick my garments are. I do re-load but I'm not currently set up to load for either cartridge. I do plan on loading for it though. It really comes down to the cartridge and performance in these shorter barrels. Thoughts Thanks!

Are you really asking us to help you pick one barrel on a switch barrel rifle? Come on man! 😬

I'm not a big chassis fan, but for modularity, like you are looking for, it would be hard to beat! Either caliber would be a winner for your application and it looks like prefit barrels are showing up everywhere.

Really interested to see how it shoots so keep us posted.

1669394223940.png

1669395215938.png

It comes in a 308 16in barrel or 6.5creed 18in barrel.

It's always better to run some numbers before making a cartridge/bullet decision. In this situation with 16" and 18" barrels the two cartridges run fairly close to even when using factory ammunition from Norma. But using 1,000 ft/lbs, you are limited to about 450 yards.

The barrels are the general size that most of the manufacturers use to control weight and balance. The drawback is the loss of velocity and energy. Then there is the noise which can be a little 'bright' when the barrels are closer to your ears. If you feel the convenience of shorter barrels suits you, have at it. At 6.5 lbs (308) and 6.8 lbs (6.5 - 2"+) they are certainly light enough even with a scope and rings.

:)

Both cartridges are virtually identical in ballistic drops out to the 450 distance. This has been posted up many times before. Me? I'd take the .308 for the bullet selection versatility. If shots likely 200 or less go heavy, go light if wife is shooting. Or maybe she wants to go heavy too.! Load up the .308 with Hammers and they will make up the short barrels.

Deer won't know the difference... Personally I'd go 6.5. I like the less recoil (especially if your wife will use it too) and it shoots a *little* bit flatter. Emphasis on little, at the distance you are talking about. Other than that, I personally don't see much difference.
LESS Recoil, will make YOU,.. a Better, Shot as it,.. CALM's the Brain from, developing,.. a "Flinch"
The 6.5 Creed is, "Plenty of Gun" to, 5-600 Yards with, 130 to 143 Grain, Bullets for, Deer & Antelope !

Last edited:
Way more bullet choices in the 308.
When our weather straightens out I plan on loading some 124 gr Hammer Hunters in my 308.
I have taken many animals with a 130 gr TTSX out to 200 yards and all died very quickly!
Light bullets in a 308 is deadly!

All comment made is my thinking as well. I would have the barrel threaded, put a thread protector on it. Then if you want to put a can or muzzle brake on your good to go. 308 would be my choice, 110gr. to 215gr. short distance killing machine. 😎

The 16" .308 Barrel will BE, a Noisy, "Flame throwing", Ear BLASTER, so wear Ear Plugs AND,. Muff's when, Hunting !!!
IF, IF, IF,. you CANNOT have, a Suppressor,... AVOID, the 16" Barrel, .308 like,.. the Plague !
IT'll BE, a BIG,. "Mistake" going .308 Win. with a 16 Inch Barrel,.. WITHOUT,.. a Suppressor !
For Woods hunting, get, a 20"- 22" Barrel, in 6.5 Creed,.. IMO
You can, "Make Do" with, the 18" in, 6.5 Creed, tho !

Last edited:
I have one in 308. It comes threaded. It is also not a chassis rifle the receiver is one piece. I like it and shot some Javelina and deer with it last year. Sub moa with factory Federal terminal Ascent. I have not worked up a hand load in it yet.

As above, deer won't know the difference. Few things I would consider:
1) Cost of reloading and caliber commonality with what you already have. I seem to find good deals on 6.5 bullets and have a variety on hand.
2) Noise. I have a 16" 6.5 and it's too loud for my taste. I think an 18" 6.5 would be quieter than a 16" 308 given the difference in barrel lengths and smaller case capacity.
3) Recoil will be more pronounced with the 308.
4) Pricing and availability, if both will suit your needs see which you can find a deal on.

Ammo and reloading components should be readily available for both. Lapua brass for both, match and hunting bullets for both, etc.

Ok let's have some fun. There was a similar post not long ago on identical parameters.

Post in thread '308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor'
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/308-win-or-6-5-creedmoor.302660/post-2527457

The .308 is flatter out to 500 yds.

Post in thread '308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor'
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/308-win-or-6-5-creedmoor.302660/post-2527476

The recoil difference is 2.4 lbs off 7.5 lb rifle and recoil velocity (felt) less than 1fps. I cannot buy anyone can really feel "major" difference in recoil. The generalities of the creed versus all other cartridges are becoming legendary. I like comparable data.

However, completely agree 16" barrel is likely flame thrower and LOUD!!