Help choose Sig cross in 308 or 6.5cm for hunting deer to 400 yards.

Flame throwers are fun, you just have to wear hearing protection. Year's back I cut one of my 300Wm down to 20" for a brush gun. You have to be careful, it might catch the brush on fire. šŸ¤£ I think the flames blew out about 5'. One of my buddies told me if I didn't hit what I was shooting at, it would scare it to death. šŸ˜šŸ‘

Ok let's have some fun. There was a similar post not long ago on identical parameters.

Post in thread '308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor'
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/308-win-or-6-5-creedmoor.302660/post-2527457

The .308 is flatter out to 500 yds.

Post in thread '308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor'
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/308-win-or-6-5-creedmoor.302660/post-2527476

The recoil difference is 2.4 lbs off 7.5 lb rifle and recoil velocity (felt) less than 1fps. I cannot buy anyone can really feel "major" difference in recoil. The generalities of the creed versus all other cartridges are becoming legendary. I like comparable data.

However, completely agree 16" barrel is likely flame thrower and LOUD!!
Your comparing a 150 in the 308 vs a 140 in the 6.5. The 308 will be flatter if you run light for caliber in the 308 vs heavy for caliber in the 6.5. Drop the 6.5 down to a 130 or 120 and I think you'll see that flip. Not that it really matters I just wanted to point it out.

Your comparing a 150 in the 308 vs a 140 in the 6.5. The 308 will be flatter if you run light for caliber in the 308 vs heavy for caliber in the 6.5. Drop the 6.5 down to a 130 or 120 and I think you'll see that flip. Not that it really matters I just wanted to point it out.
So I ran 130AB at 2900fps and they are identical at 400 yards which is the OP's stared range and they flip at 500 yards only for 2" drop. The .308 still delivers far more energy than the 130AB. So again the 6.5 CM does not have a significant anything over the .308. Is it a good cartridge? Yes! But it is not magically better than the .308. If you are uber sensitive to recoil and 2+ pounds of recoil is massive, then yeah go for it.

The 140ELDX is by far the most common factory ammo used in the 6.5CM which OP stared he will start with factory.

150 is standard weight for 308. It is not light for caliber.

The 16" .308 Barrel will BE, a Noisy, "Flame throwing", Ear BLASTER, so wear Ear Plugs AND,. Muff's when, Hunting !!!
IF, IF, IF,. you CANNOT have, a Suppressor,... AVOID, the 16" Barrel, .308 like,.. the Plague !
IT'll BE, a BIG,. "Mistake" going .308 Win. with a 16 Inch Barrel,.. WITHOUT,.. a Suppressor !
For Woods hunting, get, a 20"- 22" Barrel, in 6.5 Creed,.. IMO
You can, "Make Do" with, the 18" in, 6.5 Creed, tho !
I always hunt with hearing protection

So I ran 130AB at 2900fps and they are identical at 400 yards which is the OP's stared range and they flip at 500 yards only for 2" drop. The .308 still delivers far more energy than the 130AB. So again the 6.5 CM does not have a significant anything over the .308. Is it a good cartridge? Yes! But it is not magically better than the .308. If you are uber sensitive to recoil and 2+ pounds of recoil is massive, then yeah go for it.

The 140ELDX is by far the most common factory ammo used in the 6.5CM which OP stared he will start with factory.
Never said it was better.

For 30 cal. It's light. 140 is heavy in 6.5.
Disagree. 150 grain is average for the "cartridge" 308 Win. It's not about caliber. I consider 140 grain average for the cartridge 6.5 Creedmoor. 168 and up would be considered heavy for the 308 Win.
I would consider 140 grain bullets light for the 6.5 PRC.

Regardless when cartridges are as close in comparison as the 308 & 6.5 CM are, I'll choose the larger caliber every time.
The 6.5 caliber is one of if not my favorite and I own several variations from 6.5 Grendel up to 264 Win Mag Improved with several between, but the 30 caliber in my experiences leaves better blood trails if needed and kills faster.

Flame throwers are fun, you just have to wear hearing protection. Year's back I cut one of my 300Wm down to 20" for a brush gun. You have to be careful, it might catch the brush on fire. šŸ¤£ I think the flames blew out about 5'. One of my buddies told me if I didn't hit what I was shooting at, it would scare it to death. šŸ˜šŸ‘
Point blank = "flame broiled" at same time! Shoot, cook and eat!

My wife loves shooting 6.5cm, she however doesn't like the 308. Claims the added recoil is enough to bother her. For what it's worth, neither is out of an sig cross. I think it's simply the added noise associated with a shorter barrel

I love the 6.5. It's crazy accurate. My oldest daughter shot a buck this morning with Hornady 143 gr eld-x. This is everyone's go-to factory load. The shot was perfect and the deer dropped in 40 yards. Double lung. That's all great. But, the exit hole was the same size as the entry hole. Very little expansion. A so-so shot and you have a problem with the best 6.5 bullet on the market. So, let's get serious. 6.5 - the 143 gr eld-x is an average bullet at best and nothing comparable to a 30 caliber 150 or 165 gr Nosler ballistic tip, accubond, etc., 6.5 bullet selection sucks, you can't hardly buy 6.5 at the store, it's way more expensive, and even hand loading is way more expensive if you can even find the components. If it's second, third, twentieth gun, go for it. If it's your primary hunting rig and especially if you want to go for elk or black bear you better stick with .308.

I love the 6.5. It's crazy accurate. My oldest daughter shot a buck this morning with Hornady 143 gr eld-x. This is everyone's go-to factory load. The shot was perfect and the deer dropped in 40 yards. Double lung. That's all great. But, the exit hole was the same size as the entry hole. Very little expansion. A so-so shot and you have a problem with the best 6.5 bullet on the market. So, let's get serious. 6.5 - the 143 gr eld-x is an average bullet at best and nothing comparable to a 30 caliber 150 or 165 gr Nosler ballistic tip, accubond, etc., 6.5 bullet selection sucks, you can't hardly buy 6.5 at the store, it's way more expensive, and even hand loading is way more expensive if you can even find the components. If it's second, third, twentieth gun, go for it. If it's your primary hunting rig and especially if you want to go for elk or black bear you better stick with .308.
I have a few rifles actually. 6.5prc, 28 nosler, 7mmrem mag, 7mm08 and a 3006. The 3006 is very light weight mountain rifle but kicks like a mule for my wife and is a 24inch barrel. I was wanting to go short barrel for maneuverability. We hunt with hearing protection but it sounds like the 308 with a muzzle brake may still be loud, even with hearing protection. Maybe it's not such a big deal for one shot. I was leaning towards the creedmore for this reason.

I have a few rifles actually. 6.5prc, 28 nosler, 7mmrem mag, 7mm08 and a 3006. The 3006 is very light weight mountain rifle but kicks like a mule for my wife and is a 24inch barrel. I was wanting to go short barrel for maneuverability. We hunt with hearing protection but it sounds like the 308 with a muzzle brake may still be loud, even with hearing protection. Maybe it's not such a big deal for one shot. I was leaning towards the creedmore for this reason.
Chop the 30-06 and put a can on it