400 yard deer rifle.

How much would a break cost. Average.and okay I'll think about that too.

Kinda depends who's you go with, from some of the quality brakes I've seen you can expect to spend 80-175$ on a brake. I'd look at Defensive Edge, APS, JE customs, Hollands and American Precision arms as well as a few others that I can't think of at the moment.

Kinda depends who's you go with, from some of the quality brakes I've seen you can expect to spend 80-175$ on a brake. I'd look at Defensive Edge, APS, JE customs, Hollands and American Precision arms as well as a few others that I can't think of at the moment.

If I just head inn i my local gunsmith could he do it for that price? Also guys I shot a remington 700 7 mag and 308 today. I shot better groups with the 308. Not were 700 with leupold vx1

Just picked up a vanguard in 240wby that would be perfect, with 100gr loadings it is still carrying over 1000ft/lb energy at 400y. You wont find anything in a factory rifle/chambering that shoots as flat and hits as hard with less recoil.
Plenty of after market stocks available for the vanguard/howa action, don't know what they go for in the USA but only paid $625 here in AUS.

A brake will help you tame the recoil, but a 300WM is simply overkill on deer at out to 400 yards. There is no need for it, unless you wish to stick with one gun.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. The .300 WM is my go to chambering for antelope to elk size game and have harvested them from less than 100 yards to 931 yards using 180 and up bullets.

I do however like your comment "unless you stick with one gun." :)

Cheers!

Just picked up a vanguard in 240wby that would be perfect, with 100gr loadings it is still carrying over 1000ft/lb energy at 400y. You wont find anything in a factory rifle/chambering that shoots as flat and hits as hard with less recoil.
Plenty of after market stocks available for the vanguard/howa action, don't know what they go for in the USA but only paid $625 here in AUS.

Okay thanks. I'll look into that. What glass to you have on top of it.

If I just head inn i my local gunsmith could he do it for that price? Also guys I shot a remington 700 7 mag and 308 today. I shot better groups with the 308. Not were 700 with leupold vx1

Typically from what I've seen, most gun smiths will install a radial break unless told other wise which is effective but not as near effective as the breaks I listed. But yeah any competent gun smith can install a break all you have to supply the break of your choice.

Wanted to try and keep it a budget setup to see what is possible, put a SI sightron 4-12x on it with the HHR. The 2.5moa line should go very close to be point of aim at 400y and the 5.5moa very close at 500y.
Middle of winter down here, picked it up a week ago and we have had rain or snow every day since. Did manage a very quick sight in, 2 shots at 25y to get it close, 1 at 50 and another at 100 to confirm it was 1.5" high. Scope appeared to be moving the correct amount for what I was dialing in. When we get some decent weather Ill do some proper testing, the rough sight in was good enough for 2 rabbits with 2 shots at around 150y so happy enough with it so far.

You can get a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 270 win with a 24" barrel for around $500. Stainless Steel can be had for around $625.

These rifles come with a decent trigger and a guarantee of MOA.

For a good cheap scope…look at the Midway Weaver 3-10x 40mm Grand Slam scope for $300

After being a hunter for more than 50 years, I have settled on the 260 rem as my white tail cartridge. I recommend it or any of it's group (6.5 creedmore, 6.5 x 47 lapua, etc) for the following reasons.

It is flexible, I can take my deer from 80 to 500 yards and not feel under or over gunned.

It is efficient, I load about 43 grains of WIN 760 with a 130 AB and I have a fine accurate cartridge.

It is accurate.

Brass is available.

Recoil is negligible.

Factory rifles are available at a variety of price points that shoot it well.

I settled on my Remington 700 Mountain Rifle built in the mid 80's. It came with pretty walnut stock and a deeply blued action and spaghetti barrel. The rifle came stock with a box magazine which I also love. This is one of the finest cold bore first shot rifles I have ever owned. Downside is don't try to shoot more than 3 rounds for a group. By the 4th the spaghetti is hot and rounds will fly everywhere.

Just my 2 cents. rch

280 Remington, its an 06 with a 7mm (.284) bullet. Kicks similar to a 30-06 depending on bullet weight. You can find a used 700 mountain rifle for around $600 now and then on line which are really fine rifles.

IMO the 280 Remington is about the best all around factory chambered cartridge there is. Great ballistics without the recoil of a mag. I shoot a 280 Ackley which IMO is hard to beat if you reload.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. The .300 WM is my go to chambering for antelope to elk size game and have harvested them from less than 100 yards to 931 yards using 180 and up bullets.

I do however like your comment "unless you stick with one gun." :)

Cheers!

I did not say it would not kill them. I said it was overkill. Unless you feel you NEED 300WM power to kill a deer within 400 yards, I doubt we really have any disagreement.

Given the 400 yard requirement, a 243 will do antelope to deer just fine, as will dozens of chamberings with far less recoil than the big 300.

Now go to bigger game or longer ranges, and the 300WM shines. I own one and love it. But if I know I'm not shooting elk or know I'm not shooting long range, I've got smaller options that cause less meat and shoulder damage. :)

I did not say it would not kill them. I said it was overkill. Unless you feel you NEED 300WM power to kill a deer within 400 yards, I doubt we really have any disagreement.

Given the 400 yard requirement, a 243 will do antelope to deer just fine, as will dozens of chamberings with far less recoil than the big 300.

Now go to bigger game or longer ranges, and the 300WM shines. I own one and love it. But if I know I'm not shooting elk or know I'm not shooting long range, I've got smaller options that cause less meat and shoulder damage. :)

I was responding to your overkill comment ...

A brake will help you tame the recoil, but a 300WM is simply overkill on deer at out to 400 yards.

All my MT antelope were taken with 178+ (VLDs, NBTs, NABs, etc...) bullets out of my .300 WM on average 300 to 400 yards and the worst meat damage was a 2 broken ribs in the boiler room area, shot placement regardless of caliber/chambering is still the key along with enough KE to harvest the game humanely at POI.

I too have smaller options but because this is LRH where I have the possibilities to shoot antelope, deer, and elk up to 1K yards, the .300 WM is my go to chambering for most of the time.

Last year, I used only my .270 AI with 175 Matrix VLDs and this year, it's going to be my .300 WSM with 215 Berger VLD.

Cheers!

Last edited:
How about the 257 Weatherby? I have read that the MOA Vanguards shoot very well. Why this chambering? FLAT TRAJECTORY.

In fact so flat shooting that you wouldn't have to twist a turret or use stadia out to your 400 yds with the right point of impact at 100 yds.

I use the 115 Berger VLD in my 257 but a 100 gr Ballistic tip or a 110 Accubond would work well too. Use RL-33 for the heavier bullets to get a bit more velocity.

Recoil is going to be similar to a 30-06 with a 165 gr bullet definitely less than a 7 Rem mag.

a 257 weatherby, i like that either a vanguard or an accumark. a 264 sendero would be a good one too.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.