Which bullet for deer for 6.5CM inside 400 yards?

124 Hammer Hunters....I don't have my load data in front of me, but I run them at 2925 out of a 22" barrel and consistently have 5 shot groups in the low .2" range at 100 yards. Hoping to be able to find somewhere to stretch its legs in the near future.

I have only been able to shoot hogs here in Texas with it, and thus far I have been impressed with the terminal performance. We have taken 6 hogs from 50-350 yards and while not necessarily DRT, all have died within 50 yards and had complete passthroughs with shoulder shots.

I am a constant second guesser, I was gonna do 4350 then thought varget would give me more room in the case. And Steve had good luck with it so I ran with it. Now I'm always thinking maybe 4350 or 17 would do better. I think varget May be a bit better for the lighter stuff but 4350 seems great for the heavier ones. Not that 30 FPS would change much either way.
I would try Hybrid 100v or maybe Superformance. They should give you top velocity with a full case for good S.D.

I don't post much on here but try to pay attention to what's going on in the shooting community. I'm a full-time gunsmith and have been chambering and reloading the Creedmoor since before it took over for the .260 in PRS style matches. I have tried every high BC bullet made, but always come back to the 130 JLK. It's G7 is about .293, and I've never had any bullet perform the way it does. I shoot 'em in an 8" twist, 26" Bartlein and generally find my accuracy node between 2930 and 3015. I use Lapua SR brass and leave them .015" off the lands. Shot placement is always the main ingredient to any potential DRT scenario, but I have hit some quartering pigs at 250 that blew the intestines, tissue and who know what else out the back side of it. I take mostly neck shots on whitetails but I haven't had one fail even on shoulder shots on the largest boar, and don't think I've had anything run more than a few feet. They are similar to Berger 130 VLDHs in most respects, but I believe they perform better. My $.02
Steve does make awesome bullets, they are consistent with accuracy too, no flyers !

I don't post much on here but try to pay attention to what's going on in the shooting community. I'm a full-time gunsmith and have been chambering and reloading the Creedmoor since before it took over for the .260 in PRS style matches. I have tried every high BC bullet made, but always come back to the 130 JLK. It's G7 is about .293, and I've never had any bullet perform the way it does. I shoot 'em in an 8" twist, 26" Bartlein and generally find my accuracy node between 2930 and 3015. I use Lapua SR brass and leave them .015" off the lands. Shot placement is always the main ingredient to any potential DRT scenario, but I have hit some quartering pigs at 250 that blew the intestines, tissue and who know what else out the back side of it. I take mostly neck shots on whitetails but I haven't had one fail even on shoulder shots on the largest boar, and don't think I've had anything run more than a few feet. They are similar to Berger 130 VLDHs in most respects, but I believe they perform better. My $.02

My friend makes some great bullets which he says work well on deer sized game.

https://bibullets.com/new-products/

Ok my vote is For the Horndy 129 sst. I works great in the cm and my 26 Nosler. That being said find a bullet and load that shoots great and shoot true

I noticed that the Hornady I believe has a 160 interbond for the 6.5s now. I know it's a 160 but thought it was a internond.
No, that's the "Interlock". The 160gr interlock is a round nosed bullet intended for close range work on large/tough/dangerous game.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/#!/

The 129gr unfortunately is the largest Interbond they make in 6.5mm but hopefully they'll be adding at least one or two heavier, higher BC options eventually.

I know this is a long range forum but the advice you all give here has been great so I continue to ask my questions here. Which bullet would you use for reloads on deer and smaller critters inside 400 yards? Im thinking something in the 120-140grain range (highly considering the 117gr Hammer sledgehammers and the 130 grain accubond). The 117gr sledgehammers should provide a flat trajectory so I'm leaning towards those but I'm not sure how they perform on game yet.

So after reading all of the posts I'd suggest that you take every bullet mentioned here, write it on a slip of paper, put the slips into a hat, draw one out and use that.

My only experience with any 6.5's in recent years has been an old Mauser 98 re-barreled to 6.5x55. I worked up a good load with IMR 4831 behind a Hornady 123gr Amax bullet. Velocity on my Chrony corrected for distance was 2920 FPS.
The last two whitetails harvested at my lease were at 171 and 143 yards respectively and dropped like sacks of taters. Amax is not in 6.5 now, so the ELDx 120 gr bullet should do well.

I would preferably want a bullet that can penetrate a whitetails bone and still do the necessary to take the animal and have it run less than 100 yards. We always try for broadside shots but sometimes all you have is a hard quartering towards shot where you will be aiming at the front leg/shoulder area in order to hit the vitals. So which bullets would be best on a scenario like this under 400 yards? That's why I was thinking either monometal bullets or a bonded bullet like an accubond. DRT is always awesome but I never count on it. I have never had a whitetail run further than 75 yards, as long as I did my part on aiming.
I agree w/ always trying for a broadside shot, however, sometimes they don't present, in that case, if close range and I'm confident I can hit the vitals I will take the shot.
If I'm not sure, I let the animal pass by, yes even the real nice ones.
For Whitetail I use Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets 150 grain that I reload. These bullets have worked well for me over the years and my Rifle likes them as well, however, all the bullets mentioned work very good and depends what your rifle shoots the best.

I know this is a long range forum but the advice you all give here has been great so I continue to ask my questions here. Which bullet would you use for reloads on deer and smaller critters inside 400 yards? Im thinking something in the 120-140grain range (highly considering the 117gr Hammer sledgehammers and the 130 grain accubond). The 117gr sledgehammers should provide a flat trajectory so I'm leaning towards those but I'm not sure how they perform on game yet.
Both of my 6.5mm rifles (6.5 Creedmoor & 260 Remington) love the Berger 130gr VLD Hunting bullets. Both shoot under 3/4" or better three round groups at 200 yds. I get average velocity of 2650 fps.
Also have had good luck with 120gr Barnes TTSX--1/2" at 100 yds. 3020 fps with 39.5 gr RL15 from the 260 Remington.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.