Which Anti Cant device

n2horns

I am building a new 7mm rem mag for hunting and will be using an NF scope. Any suggestions to an easy to see/use ACD? If one is a flip out, something that just doesn't flop open easily as my rifle will be in my backpack/scabbard.

I have one today that sits on top of my scope ring but when I am in the scope it is a litte hard to see.

I have only used Holland and Vortex but I really like the Holland. It's compact, good quality, and it has a nice big bubble that's easy to read. Vortex works fine too but it kinda sticks out and has sharper corners.

I have only used Holland and Vortex but I really like the Holland. It's compact, good quality, and it has a nice big bubble that's easy to read. Vortex works fine too but it kinda sticks out and has sharper corners.

I have a AADMOUNT. It has an illuminated bubble in the scope base. Easy to see and right in line with your eye when you are looking through the scope.

This is an offset level from Sinclair International. When I am in shooting position, my left eye picks it up easily without moving my head off scope.

Attachments

• 120401_0003.jpg
    120401_0003.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 167
When the good Lord made me, he didn't make me symetrical. My right side is just a wee bit shorter than my left (no one is perfect, not me for sure)... Anyway, until I started shooting years ago, I never noticed that actually cant the rifle to the right. It became more apparent as the shot distance increased and my bullet yawed to the right.

Way beack when there werent any 'scope levels' but along came Darrell Holland and built a nice one.

I have a couple Holland levels on my rihles, you can mount on either side (I mount mine on the right as I'm right handed and I can see the level out of the corner of my eye, looking in the ocular of the scope.

I would agree with the previous poster that the Vortex level is not as nicely made as Darrell Holland's. I have one of those as well. The Holland level and the Vortex are almost identical (I think Vortex copied Holland as Holland was around before Vortex was even thought of.....

Len sells the Holland Level on this site in his Long Range Store btw. I've bought all of mine from Len and Andy...

If you need an illuminated level you are shooting to early or too late, far as I'm concerned an illuminated level is a gimmick.

I have one today that sits on top of my scope ring but when I am in the scope it is a litte hard to see.
This is what everybody seems to be missing in levels -that you need to be able to see it, straight on, in shooting position(just before pulling the trigger). That knocks most(by far) out of consideration. Doesn't matter how 'nice' they are.

IMO, the best, as it's most field functional, is the ScopLevel: Scoplevel Anti Cant Leveling Device
You can see it straight on just before trigger pull, and it takes level to the actual scope instead of rings, base, action(which don't matter). That is, once it's set to the scope, you can move that scope from gun to safe to another gun & back, and the scope is always level when the bubble shows it. Portable in that sense.

Attachments

• T2KLevel.jpg
    T2KLevel.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 145
  • T2Klevel2.jpg
    T2Klevel2.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 146
I think of all I've used the Hollands is my favorite, I mount them some place between the bell and turrets to the left side so I can see it with my left eye without moving my position.
The Hollands is nice and smooth with rounded edges, slides in and out of scabbards, does not snag and just a nice unit for the price. I disagree about the Scoplevel, absolute piece of plastic junk!!

Some better pictures (slightly better, I am not a photographer) of the offset levels from Sinclair. I have the same setup on all my rigs. I prefer no moving parts, in the hope that simpler is better at surviving hard knocks and if I don't have to do anything but look at it, I might not screw it up. The camera is approximately where my non-shooting eye would be while looking through the scope. I had levels that rode the center of the scope on earlier setups, but went to offsets to eliminate head movement to check the level. No that I'm old(er) I have the level as far forward as possible because my close focus ain't what it used to be, but I can call the bubble as you see it in the pics.

Attachments

• 20141129_090243 (1).jpg
    20141129_090243 (1).jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 20150531_115408.jpg
    20150531_115408.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 141
This is what everybody seems to be missing in levels -that you need to be able to see it, straight on, in shooting position(just before pulling the trigger). That knocks most(by far) out of consideration. Doesn't matter how 'nice' they are.

IMO, the best, as it's most field functional, is the ScopLevel: Scoplevel Anti Cant Leveling Device
You can see it straight on just before trigger pull, and it takes level to the actual scope instead of rings, base, action(which don't matter). That is, once it's set to the scope, you can move that scope from gun to safe to another gun & back, and the scope is always level when the bubble shows it. Portable in that sense.

Sure does. Who wants a clunky level (like you have)...lol Yours looks like a CB antenna sticking up...:D

I can see my Holland just fine when pulling the trigger.... and I stated that.

Both the Holland and the Vortex attach to the scope tube so they are just a portable as your 'antenna' and are much less obtrusive.

I'm sure yours folds down but I learned a long time ago that the more parts in any mechanical equation, the more chance for error and inaccuracy.

Different strokes for different folks. I'll keep my Holland levels and you can be happy with your CB antenna....:D

I can see the Holland and Vortex bubbles very easily without moving my eyes from shooting position. Right eye looking through the scope I just glance at the bubble with my left eye. Both of these levels attach directly to the scope so they too can be left on the scope if you switch it to a different gun. The Holland is about twice the price of the Vortex but I like it better. I use Hollands on 3 of my rifles and a Vortex on one.

I have rifles with the Flatline, Holland, and Vortex scope levels. I like the compactness and design of the Holland but have found that on the two I own, the bubble will split in two in cold weather, and/or, under recoil. With my Vortex, the bubble glass or liquid appears to have developed a haze that makes it difficult to see in low light. The Flatline, while costly, is by far my favorite. It can be used on top of the scope or flipped to the side. A magnet keeps it closed and protected from opening. This is my favorite scope level and has been on my primary shooter for five years.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts