Which Anti Cant device

This is what everybody seems to be missing in levels -that you need to be able to see it, straight on, in shooting position(just before pulling the trigger). That knocks most(by far) out of consideration. Doesn't matter how 'nice' they are.

Agree. Because of my eyesight I need to be able to mount the level forward of the turrets. There are only 2 levels that would fit there with my configuration, the Holland and the Tubb. The Tubb bubble was too small for me to be able to focus on so I went with the Holland. With it, I see the level with my left eye and the reticle with my right. I level the reticle, close my left eye and shoot.

I have shot many thousands of rounds on the range and hunting with the Holland levels on calibers from 223 to 300 Win. Bolt guns, as and AR10s all with the Holland level mounted.

Never an issue even when hunting extreme cold here in northern MN. (Bubble splitting as mentioned above).

I can easily see it with my non-dominant eye while on the stock in the scope by solely opening my eye.

Another endorsement for the Holland level from a very satisfied user.

This is what everybody seems to be missing in levels -that you need to be able to see it, straight on, in shooting position(just before pulling the trigger). That knocks most(by far) out of consideration. Doesn't matter how 'nice' they are.

IMO, the best, as it's most field functional, is the ScopLevel: Scoplevel Anti Cant Leveling Device
You can see it straight on just before trigger pull, and it takes level to the actual scope instead of rings, base, action(which don't matter). That is, once it's set to the scope, you can move that scope from gun to safe to another gun & back, and the scope is always level when the bubble shows it. Portable in that sense.

If that is your criteria, then the scopes with built in anti-cant bubble level is the way to. I just happen to have one, but the level sucks because it is hard to see.

I was looking at a US Optics folding ACD, seemed like it was magnetic holding when folded in and when trying to open it had some resistance.

I didn't catch the model #, but it looked like it had several adjustment points to ensure it was level open an closed.

Was told it was US Optics and about $190. Tried looking on web and no luck.

US Optics folding ACD works for me just open your other eye and there it is right in front of you.

and then just folds out of the way .

Attachments

• IMG_1465 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1465 (Medium).JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2036 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2036 (Medium).JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 92
The US Optics bubble is the worst I think I've ever tried, and I tried 2 models of it.
I've also at least tried a lot of other models, because level is critical for my hunting in the mountains.
My conclusion: nice, or expensive, is not the same as field functional.

this is the cheap one i use on the others but it works better AFAIC

as you only have to be 2 or so degrees off and the bubble will be

way off center where as the USO is a fair bit more subtle .

Attachments

• $$$13.jpg
    $$$13.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 71
Good choice! It also has a fine tune allen screw adjuster for exact centering of the bubble. I'm on my fifth season with one.

Kinda pricey, but it looks like a nice design. I like the fine adjustment feature.

I have a few of the US Optics units and I have to cut and place shims to get them adjusted to a "true level", when mounted off the picatinny rail. Other than that, the US Optics units work pretty well for me.

It is a little pricey, but what is few hundred bucks when your building a 5k rifle with all the trimmings.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.