Which 7 would you choose?

I have a 7 Saum and it checks all your boxes really hard. I like to think of it as a 7-08 magnum. Mellow shooting, accurate, unfussy, hyper efficient. Even though some guys get it next to the RM. I couldn't. Brass is what it is, but it will last the life of the barrel at least. No disrespect to the 280ai but the guy I knew who tried to make a high volume multipurpose gun had a hard time getting it dialed in to the fun and then he ran into bad donuts.

I shoot 180eldm mild at 2660, accubond 168 hot at 2850 I think, and absolute hammer 140s at 3230. Respectable, and shootable. People with long actions and stronger actions regularly get the 180 to 2800, and it's already a bomb at the speeds I get.

There's other fun ones out there. I really wanted a 708 AI when I started the build but then the panic hit and only the heaviest pills were available so I did the saum. I would absolutely go back to that someday. My buddy has a fast twist 7rm and loves it, that's been his killing machine since the 90s. Really not many bad choices in your window. Id steer away from the wsm only because it's so much less efficient than the saum, same performance with way more powder. Edit: also wsm brass is real basic otc stuff and the saum brass you'll find, when you find it, is the best in the game.
I seriously wouldn't discount a fantastic cartridge like the 280ai based on one guy having issues with his rifle.
There are many happy 280ai shooters out there.

Last edited:
I've been a shooter and handloader for the 7-08 for quite some time, currently shooting the 145gr LRX at 2850fps, and that's more than likely where I'll leave it. That said, if I were to build a new 7 I'd seriously consider a 7mm-6.5 PRC, seems to hit the sweet spot like a 7 SAUM but with no worries about brass supply.

My main reason for wanting to go 7.08 is I could get one of them new Coup actions from ARC and run it in AIAW (double stack double feed) mags. I think that make it a pretty dang cool PRS type of rifle with better ballistics than 308 and just less man bun than 6.5 Creed. It could cross as a great dear rifle out to 500 too.

For the 7.08 guy's, do you think pushing the 162 ELDM to 2900-2950 is attainable or is that pushing it for this cartridge?

Std 280 SAAMI spec reamer, 162 at 2930 on 24" with Fed 210 and IMR 7828 is a load right out of the Nosler #4 manual.

Now bump to a 280 AI with R#26, and you are at 3030, again, depending on barrel length

If you go 7 Rem Mag on a 28", 162 at 3200 with Retumbo is real world with 215's, and this is where the 7 stw and 28 nosler is also accurate at with 3350 being top end.

I have been through several 7 STW's.

The std 7/08 will get you 2700+ on a long barrel with 162's, possibly 2800. It best to put Wyatt's mag box in a Rem 700 for use with those long pointy bullets as you can not stuff them down in the case with the slow-burning powders taking up all the room.

The standard 280 Rem loading data in reloading manuals are dumbed down due to pumps and semi-autos. In the 280, with 180g eldm, accuracy node is at 2700 fps+, depending on the barrel length...run the numbers, it is impressive with only a smidge of powder....some things you just have to witness for yourself.

The 7mmRM is the all-round best. Parts and ammo everywhere still great at everything. Still will be parts and ammo in 10 years some of these others not so much. Do 8 or 7.5 twist. Done

I did a .284 Win A.I. and I love it, performs how I want. That being said if I was doing it now I'd go for 7 PRC it's basically the same performance wise but dies and reamers are readily available.

I have 7mm-08AI, 280 Rem, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm WBY Mag.
Had a 284 Win, liked the cartridge, but the gun was too heavy for me hunting and too light for matches.

For the amount the OP wants to shoot, and the ranges given I'd do 7mm-08, or AI.
I had 6,000+ rounds down the tube before I finally retired the barrel.
Couldn't seat the 140gr Berger VLDs to the lands & hold in the neck.

What projectile are you using in Africa. I have a trip planned next April and plan to bring mine.

I'm running a Berger 180 gr HVLD at 2900 fps. RL 26. I've taken 3 eland with this bullet and setup out to 520 yds. Last yr a Aoudad in So Africa at 611. One of the eland was just 75 yds. The point is that bullet has been very effective as long as I do my part. I've had a couple of PH's ask what bullet I was using.
Bruce

I seriously wouldn't discount a fantastic cartridge like the 280ai based on one guy having issues with his rifle.
There are many happy 280ai shooters oit there.
I'm not. I didn't. I'm not going to. I'd have built one regardless if I had a long action instead of a medium action. Literally said no disrespect. But It's an issue that's come up. In this case the "one guy" guy, a young marine who could tell me spindrift at any yardage and tell me how to improve any weapon model or system I could think of, knew what he was doing and it was still bad enough he got rid of it. And it's not the only time I've heard of it in an AI case. I thought it was worth mentioning in the field of potential pros and cons since they're so close to being functionally identical that you're choosing between obscure differences or taste preferences. If I knew just one guy who couldn't get his saum to feed I would mention that too even though it's not likely to have an effect in his planned activities. I just got a stiller standard face long action for an amazing deal and If I didn't have a true dime of a 7 already it would absolutely be a 280ai. But it seems like he's asking what people know so I shared. I think the saum is a very marginally better choice for what he's planning based on my experience with it but the 280 is probably still great.