Rangefinder setup...which would you choose

catorres1

May have some options around a ranging setup. Keep in mind my primary use will be hunting, secondary is shooting at steel etc. for fun as far as I can get to.

For argument's sake, lets limit the RF choices to a Leica 2700b or a 1600r, as these are the only one's available to me. I also have a Kestrel Elite. The RF will potentially be used to range for 2 different guns at a time, maybe even 3 (my sons will be with me).

Keeping in mind that the 2700b automatically uses it's readout of pressure and temp and custom curve, along with angle of shot, to give the effective horizontal range (EHR) to range based on a loaded curve...the 1600r only considers the angle of the shot in it's EHR.....and both give it to 1200 yards only.

The 2700b also gives it's readout in comparison to their standard conditions (29.92, 68 degrees)...so it assumes your dope (or custom distance turret) is setup for these conditions, and then it adjusts based on the curve and it's temp and pressure readings (and angle). In other words, you cannot get a simple distance adjusted for angle reading from it. It's all or unadjusted distance.

Which of the following would you choose:

2700b EHR with Kestrel Elite for most shots (750 or so and under), switching to a raw distance and angle reading input into a Kestrel Elite for long shots.

The upside to the 2700 is that for most shots, it's probably all I need and is much faster as it will output the EHR or even the drop value. It'll be range, dial shoot, up to a point.

Downside, I am not sure it is as accurate as the AB solution in the kestrel, and for really long shots, it does not take into account the many other variables. Plus, as it will have the custom curve for my rifle loaded, the EHR will only be somewhat accurate for my son's rifles, and only to relatively short range. It would probably be about as accurate as the 1600b is using a generic curve.

-or-

1600r for all shots, using the Kestrel for all ballistic calculations except angle.

The upside is that it's EHR will work for all of our rifles out to 1200 yards, as that data is generic...just distance adjusted for angle, regardless of temp, pressure, ballistic curve, etc. That is probably good enough for most of our hunting, and would be used in concert with the range card on the Kestrel to get a firing solution, which will cover all parameters.

The downside is that it's probably slower for the shorter range shots than the 2700b, as I would need to consult the Kestrel or different printed dope charts for holdover etc. In addition, the obvious ranging capability difference between the two, and I understand that the optics on the 2700 are upgraded as well. That's important to me because I use my RF as a monocular a great deal, so improved optics are nice. That said, the optics on the 1600b are great, so I assume the 1600r is at least as good.

Torn between the two...I like the extended ranging of the 2700 as well as the potentially improved optics. But the simplicity of the 1600r when I already have a Kestrel is interesting as well.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.