Which 7 would you choose?

Lonewolf74

I'm toying with building a 7mm of some flavor cus I don't have any 7's. My criteria for this rifle would be a standard weight of around 8-10 pounds hit steel to a 1000 and deer to 500 maybe 600.

280AI is high on my list but I also got respect for the no frills, get it done, dependable 7.08. I also think the 7 SAUM is pretty cool just haven't looked into it a ton.

28 Nosler I do not want because I like to actually shoot my sh!+ and not re-berral every 2 seasons. Also if I'm serious on taking something big at distance the 30 or 338 is coming out.

So which 7 would you build and why? Which 7 has good performance vs barrel life? Which 7 is optimal on a short action, which is better suited to long actions?

I've seen a few post now of people stating that the 7PRC is only about 50-75 fps faster then the 7 SAUM and it's taking 4 grains more powder to do it. Is this true? If it is I would definitely go SAUM over PRC.

I hand load so store ammo availability is no concern for me.

280AI has served me well over last 7 years hunting in Wyoming and New Mexico. 162ELDX Precision Hunter has killed everything it hit. Not too big, not too small - it fits into a standard long action with 308 bolt face. Easy to reload too - Hornady and Nosler have factory brass.

I have a custom short action ex-PRS rifle available - looking at 7-08 or 7 SAW for hunting/NRL Hunter rifle (because limited to short action).

I am watching 7PRC with interest

My criteria for this rifle would be a standard weight of around 8-10 pounds hit steel to a 1000 and deer to 500 maybe 600.
In a SA I'd go for a straight 7-08. Search pharmseller and his success and loads. I'm a heavy for caliber so a mid-long action 7-08 or variant makes more sense. But my criteria has longer ranges so that's why I went 7mm RM. At your range criteria a 7-08 makes much more sense.

7 SAUM fits your criteria perfectly.
Build on a Medium or Long action.

What is the OAL of your current setup… if you currently run a SAUM?

Does anyone make M5 type bottom metal and AICS pattern mags that fit the XM length actions and a cartridge such as the SAUM?