Which 6.5?

If you could only choose one of those cartridges you listed to build on a long action, regardless of bolt face, which one would you choose?

It was worth a shot šŸ¤£. I'm too indecisive. Peer pressure helps me
Nothing wrong with asking or answering a question. All about gleaning & sharing information.

Fire away !! šŸ˜‰

Last edited:
I like the 260 rem best of all the 6.5 calibers as long as it's 1 in 8 twist like my rifles .I can neck up 243 cases or neck down 308 which I have buckets full .I shot two big bucks with it using 155 gr lapua mega tip butters one buck at just 20 yards the other at 175 yards .The bucks both were 175 pounds and and both died quickly .I have a 264 win mag which kicks way more snd is only 200 fps faster with those bullets and it weighs 4 pounds more than my 260s .I just bought a 6 5 creedmore but I wish it was a 260 rem so I didn't have another caliber to fool with .My 260s are all 1 in 8 twist and super accurate 1/2 inch at 100 yards all day long .
There's a Model 70 Featherweight CRF .260 with Lilja 1:8 on here with Talley rings for $1000. That's a steal. Easy peasy.

If you could only choose one of those cartridges you listed to build on a long action, regardless of bolt face, which one would you choose?
For "mostly target shooting and some eastern whitetail hunting", I would go with something fairly light recoiling but still decent speeds.
Easy button: 6.5PRC
Coolness factor (but ONLY if you handload): .260AI or 6.5SLR

You do not need or want any more than either of those if you plan on mostly target shooting.

20" .260AI (this was just fire forming)

22" 6.5SLR

24" .260AI

22" 6.5PRC/SI (not my final load)

20" 6.5SS

26" 6.5SS
https://youtu.be/HDcqOKgltm0?si=useWmM1R6jLQFhwp

Last edited:
I guess I should have said, I will target shoot more than I will shoot it hunting. To elaborate, I will hopefully shoot it 2-3 shots a year hunting and maybe 50 a year at a target. Probably less than that after the new wears off. Before the boating accident I had several different calibers to target shoot and hunt with so if I were to be able to recover the lost ones from the accident I would likely not shoot one out in several years.

Also, I guess I kinda look at barrels as a wear item and expect to have to rebarrel at some point. That said, I don't want to prematurely shoot out a barrel either. I'd shoot 3-5 shots or less if needed and let it cool before shooting again.

That extra information might change some folk's opinions.

Considering that you only intend to fire 50 rounds per year, you sure don't have to worry about throat erosion or bore life. The Creed is great for long bore life but based on your intended use, I get something with more ballistic performance.

The 6.5PRC should put you near the middle of the road and ammo can be found for it if needed. You really don't need to reload with the amount of ammo you intend to consume.

I'd like to have some feedback on the 6.5-300. Feedback from people who have loaded for and shot that specific cartridge. Also the other larger capacity cartridges like the RPM, 26 Nosler, 264 WM and any others.
I haven't got to shooting/loading for the 6.5-300 Weatherby yet, but have a custom 264WM with custom chamber, it is throated for 150g/156g and is based on the same minimum dimensions as the 300WM A191 chamber. Due to the 3.55" OAL I get considerably higher velocities and digests slow powder well.
142's top out around 3300fps and are smoking fast.
@Aussie Hunter Steve has a 6.5-300 Weatherby, I'm sure he can chime in, he has had one for some time.

Cheers.

The other round we played with early 2000's was a 6.5STW. Impressive numbers from that round, but we had a hard time getting powders slow enough. I had a powder back then called AR2214, which was not sold anywhere else other than Australia, it was slower than Retumbo and worked excellent in big magnums, then it was dropped by ADI for handloaders. Retumbo wasn't around then.
Anyway, that round was very similar to the 6.5-300 Weatherby, but with the powders available to us then, it was a throat burner! It was right at the time when IMR powder were no longer imported hereā€¦really miss 7828!

Cheers.

In a factory chambering I'd go 6.5 PRC if I wanted to push for some performance. I went with a 6.5-06AI and I've been very pleased, 3100fps+ with 143s. Yes I had to form brass, but I did it from 30-06 brass which is always going to be available. The 6.5-284 doesn't require forming but even there brass has occasionally been harder to find.

In a factory chambering I'd go 6.5 PRC if I wanted to push for some performance. I went with a 6.5-06AI and I've been very pleased, 3100fps+ with 143s. Yes I had to form brass, but I did it from 30-06 brass which is always going to be available. The 6.5-284 doesn't require forming but even there brass has occasionally been harder to find.
What length barrel are you shooting?

Another vote for the 6.5x55 AI. I run a short action version, the 6.5 Addiction. Running the 6.5x55AI in a long action would be a lot of fun. Even running a short action, I'm still running very close to what you'll find online for a 6.5x284. I'm pushing a 127 Barnes LRX at 3040 and a Berger 140 at 2930 from my current 25" barrel. The 6.5x55AI uses powder in the burn range just a bit slower than 6.5 Creedmoor and 308, but it can run Creedmoor powders also. Therefore, it tends to have a few more available options than the more popular cartridges. Also, the brass tends to have very good quality brass available for less money than other more popular cartridges.

I'm on my 4th barrel. The first three were all used for PRS matches. I got about 1500 rounds per barrel.