Which 6.5

I am leaning towards a .264 win mag right now, but some of the belted case comments cause me to question that.

lightbulbDon't let those comments stop you from what you really want.lightbulb

I have a few rifles with various chambers using belted cartridges. I am in the process of putting a full custom rifle based on a belted magnum case.

Good luck!

Ed

Thanks for all the replies.

Reloading will happen for any choice - I want to be able to find brass on the shelf without a lot of sizing work. Dies should be easy to come by also.

What are the faster velocity options?

What Barrel length and twist rules that I need to think about?

Thanks for all the replies.

Reloading will happen for any choice - I want to be able to find brass on the shelf without a lot of sizing work. Dies should be easy to come by also.

What are the faster velocity options?

What Barrel length and twist rules that I need to think about?

26 nosler and 6.5 weatherby are the kings of the heap for speed, next would be the 264 then the 6.5x284 followed by the 260 and 6.5 creed.

My 6.5 creed has a 1:8.2 twist.

How about a 6,5 x 65 RWS? Lots of power, general very high potential, and brass shouldn't be an obstacle in the US.
Personally, I'm a big fan of 6,5 for "paperwork", but for LR - hunting I would only and exclusively choose the 6,5 x 63 Messner Mag. Extraordinary ballistics combined with a stunning accuracy potential let it also shine beyond 1000 meters. The best is that one doesn't need more than 24' bbl to squeeze out its full performance.
I have given a short description of her and her characteristics in an own thread here on the forum. You may read it up if interested.

How about a 6,5 x 65 RWS? Lots of power, general very high potential, and brass shouldn't be an obstacle in the US.
Personally, I'm a big fan of 6,5 for "paperwork", but for LR - hunting I would only and exclusively choose the 6,5 x 63 Messner Mag. Extraordinary ballistics combined with a stunning accuracy potential let it also shine beyond 1000 meters. The best is that one doesn't need more than 24' bbl to squeeze out its full performance.
I have given a short description of her and her characteristics in an own thread here on the forum. You may read it up if interested.

As I understand it, it is similar to 6.5-06, if so, then I agree as the .30-06 and the .270 Win brass are one of the few brass that I see on the shelves these days at my LGSs.

No, the 6,5 x 63 Messner Mag has nothing to do with the 3006. Parent case is the.366 / 9,3 x 64 Brenneke, which means huge magnum case with lots of H20 capacity.
Another very good European 6,5, the 6,5 x 64 Reb builds on the .270W case.

I went thru the same delema lol. I built a 6.5 saum off a 270 wsm tikka T3 action couldn't be happier. Hornaday is making brass and 3100fps is easily attainable w/140gr bullets much faster if barrel life is not an issue. You can build a saum on a true short action without coal restrictions.

No, the 6,5 x 63 Messner Mag has nothing to do with the 3006. Parent case is the.366 / 9,3 x 64 Brenneke, which means huge magnum case with lots of H20 capacity.
Another very good European 6,5, the 6,5 x 64 Reb builds on the .270W case.

I never said it has anything to do with the .30-06. I said they are similar to 6.5-06 (6.5x63), it is narrower.

Contrary to what you believe ...

... the brass is not a common off the shelf.

The OP asked for a common off the shelf brass and since 9.3x64 is not, I made reference to 6.5-06 and .30-06 and .270 Win brass. In other words, built the 6.5-06 instead ... that's all!

One could start with light loads for the 6.5mm-06 wildcat, which is similar in size and shape to either version of the 6.5x65 RWS, and work up from there.
(extracted from 6.5x65 and 6.5x65R RWS)

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the 264 win . I've had three of them . My current one has a Brux barrel and it is an abosulte hammer . Shoots 140s around 3300. Have pushed it to almost 3400 but figured that was to much . Gun shoots .5moa or better out to 1100 yards that's as far as I've shot it .

I have been having a lot of luck with the 6.5X284 norma Not the fastest on the block but will get the job done. I have it in a savage in a 1:8 twist. It shoots the 140vld's very well. I shoot it out to 1000yards now. I just been hitting the 1000yard mark in the last few weeks but this is on a seasoned barrel and after a some warm up shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.