Which 6.5?

Just a hunter

If you guys had a long action donor rifle with any bolt face, which 6.5 would you build and why? Mostly target shooting but likely some eastern whitetail hunting. I like fast but easy to load for. Easy, as in, load development not necessarily component availability.

I don't have anything chambered in 6.5 anything, that's why I am asking specifically about 6.5. Ask questions and I will try my best to answer them. Looking forward to some good input. Not really interested in going to lightweight bullets to get speed but not completely against it either. I'd like to stay at 130 grain or above bullets.

Thank you folks.

I'm very partial to the 6.5-284. Very easy to develop crazy accurate loads, good velocities with 140 gr bullets, devastating on deer/bear, and works great in a long action. I guess the same could be said for he PRC and if I didn't hand load that's the route I'd probably go if I still wanted a 6.5. For some dumb reason I just like cartridges that can't be found on store shelves easily.

I'm very partial to the 6.5-284. Very easy to develop crazy accurate loads, good velocities with 140 gr bullets, devastating on deer/bear, and works great in a long action. I guess the same could be said for he PRC and if I didn't hand load that's the route I'd probably go if I still wanted a 6.5. For some dumb reason I just like cartridges that can't be found on store shelves easily.
I'm the same way, I like "odd" cartridges as well.

If you guys had a long action donor rifle
which 6.5 would you build and why?
I'd like to stay at 130 grain or above bullets.
Based on these statements I'd consider the 6.5x55 Swede "AI". Low recoil, great brass life and excellent accuracy running 140gr bullets with an 8 twist. Good luck with your decision. 👍

Based on these statements I'd consider the 6.5x55 Swede "AI". Low recoil, great brass life and excellent accuracy running 140gr bullets with an 8 twist. Good luck with your decision. 👍
There is something nostalgic about the 6.5x55 Swede (produced 1894-present); it has been around longer than our venerable .30-06 (produced 1906-present), and both have a longitudinal presence. I started both my sons hunting with it - Carl Gustav 1894M carbine 18" barrel.

The 6.5-06AI, 6.5x284, and 6.5PRC would be my short list with the Swede and the RPM maybe pushing out the 06' and 284 depending on the day. They are all easy to load for and give good velocity with heavier bullets and have decent to very good brass options. The PRC to me is the easiest to load for across a wider range of bullets and has very easy brass options from junk to the best that are easy to find. Good luck, it's hard to choose a bad one.

For Target shooting and whitetail is hard to beat the 6.5 Creed or the PRC. I have both and killed with both. My nieces and nephews use my Creedmoor when I take them hunting and all have killed deer with it. We've never lost a deer with it. I personally hunt at home with a 270 mostly because it's a rifle that my late father gave me. The PRC has more punch but if you are target shooting a lot, the creed would be my choice just because of cost and it's just simple.

6.5 Creedmoor is an AR platform and my PRC is a Savage Ultralight (my second one…sold the first and missed it so much I bought another).
Both guns use Hornady Brass
Fed 210
42.5 H4350 (creedmoor)
58.0 H1000 (PRC)
Both guns like 143 eldx
140 Berger shots great in both as well but the Hornady are a lot less $…
Haven't tried mono in them

If you guys had a long action donor rifle
which 6.5 would you build and why?
I'd like to stay at 130 grain or above bullets.

And another plus is the selection of brass by some of the best manufacturers. Improbable that you wouldn't be able to find SOME of the best brass even in our current lack of support and prices. Just be aware that there are a couple of different versions of the improved case. There is a terrific amount of reloading data and the bullet selection is excellent! The 130 grain versions are the right place to start but moving up for some of the heavier, target related choices is suggested.

Norma 6.5mm 130gr GTX

Sale

Norma 6.5mm 130gr GTX Match HPBT Golden Target - 500 ct box

Norma
SKU: PRO-R-NORMA-518

$239.95 $129.77

https://ravenrocksprecision.com/norma-6-5mm-130gr-gtx-match-hpbt-golden-target-500-ct-box/

😊

Now, if you might want something just a little different from the rest of the crowd, I suggest looking at the Weatherby 6.5 RPM. I load this case with the 6.5 130gr. Norma as the above.

Enjoy!