Which 6.5 PRC brass

deerhunter64

I am rapidly approaching senior citizen status. I decided to build a rifle in 6.5 PRC which should be completed just prior to my 55th birthday in December. I seriously wish Lapua made brass but obviously not yet or possibly ever. What is my best option for high quality brass. Rifle will be a GAP Crusader used mainly for target practice and long range hunting. I know it is heavy but I can easily carry it in my hunting pack without noticing it much.

HA!HA!. Just heard that 55 is the new 35. So I'm sure you've got plenty of tread left.
As far as I know, ADG is the only optional supplier of quality 6.5 PRC brass other than Hornady and they are usually out of stock.
Lapua 6.5-284 brass is about $30.00 cheaper per hundred than ADG 6.5 PRC brass.
If I wanted Lapua brass, I would just do a 6.5-284. That's my plan anyway, but I also already have a long action.

At this time you have a few options,

Hornady Brass- which I haven't had one issue with the few hundred Ive used
Bertram Brass- seems good with the 1st 100 Ive used, rough necks on them
ADG Brass- I have 400 of them but haven't used them yet, consistent weights
Gunwerks Brass- Ive used 100 of these and they were fine, no issues, not sure who makes them for Gunwerks.....ADG ? or Bertram ?

For a 54 year old I keep myself in very good shape. I toted my 14 pound rifle/ scope combo on an antelope hunt quite a distance with no discomfort at all. I have a 6.5-284 Norma which is very accurate but I just wanted something slightly different to try. I will have to look at ADG brass. How does it compare to Hornady ? I think I already know the answer.

ADG brass is great stuff. Have it in several calibers, only issue I've had is the 6.5 PRC which I can't seam to get to shoot well in a gun that is proven sub .5 MOA. Going to try Bertram brass on Tuesday! Hornady brass in my other 6.5 PRC has been flawless with both 135 & 156 Bergers. If no wind in the am will try the Hornady brass in the new gun!

FWIW - Have had good luck with GunWerks brass; it didn't need as much prep as Bertram or Hornady. 6 firings so far, primer pockets and case heads are still good.
They had it in stock at a reasonable price when purchased a few months ago...

I am rapidly approaching senior citizen status. I decided to build a rifle in 6.5 PRC which should be completed just prior to my 55th birthday in December. I seriously wish Lapua made brass but obviously not yet or possibly ever. What is my best option for high quality brass. Rifle will be a GAP Crusader used mainly for target practice and long range hunting. I know it is heavy but I can easily carry it in my hunting pack without noticing it much.
I like lupua 1st, then I go

I think Lapua will be making brass for this sooner rather than later. Too many off the shelf quality rifles being chambered in this round now.

HA!HA!. Just heard that 55 is the new 35. So I'm sure you've got plenty of tread left.
As far as I know, ADG is the only optional supplier of quality 6.5 PRC brass other than Hornady and they are usually out of stock.
Lapua 6.5-284 brass is about $30.00 cheaper per hundred than ADG 6.5 PRC brass.
If I wanted Lapua brass, I would just do a 6.5-284. That's my plan anyway, but I also already have a long action.

I "second " the 6.5-284... You can either use Lapua or Hornady. If you use the Hornady, make sure you get the big bottle of Aspirin at Walmart. They sell it in bottles of 1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.