Which s/a 6.5?

So you have 2 of the best short action 6.5 calibers available today as options.
The 6.5 x 47 will have more components available than the 6.5 GAP (I am not calling hornady brass crap and also not calling it high quality) The GAP will require ordering more expensive but in some cases higher quality components - copper creek is some of the best brass I have ever used - period dot
I had a 6.5 CM in the safe already when thinking about another 6.5. I chose the GAP because the 6.5 GAP will outperform the 6.5 x 47 in nearly every category
  1. GAP built it for me and I am familiar with how George and his team build
  2. 6.5 GAP is ballistically superior than 6.5 x 47
    • With a 140 grain berger the 47 achieves about 2900 fps and the GAP can reach 3190. (the GAP data is my own rifle magneto speed chrono'd with a 24 inch PROOF 8 twist barrel)
  3. Barrel life is about the same
  4. With 140 grain and larger bullets, the GAP has a better powder to bullet grain ratio and can achieve better downrange terminal performance on game
GAP says barrel life with the GAP is 2000-2500 rounds which for a hunting rifle will last you years. For a PRS gun you could get through most of a season depending on how many matches you attend

I really like my 6.5x47L. I load Berger 140gr hybrids either .010 or .040 off the lands with 36.8 to 37.2gr of Varget and a CCI 450. Its the most accurate round I have ever had. 1/4 MOA or better at 200 yards.

OP, I'm going to build the wife a rifle and am in the same boat right now. I just switched from a 6.5x284 to a 6.5 SS for my mid sized cartridge. Very happy with it.

Can't do a CM or PRC, was looking at the 6.5 SLR and the x47. About 99% sure it's going to be the x47. I just don't see much of a downside to it. M

The 6.5 saum/gap has moderate recoil with the 140+ bullets. If you want light, then a CM is probably better.

Lapua's cases in the 6.5x47 are the best cases I've shot in anything. I've got 2600 rounds through a Brux with no change in accuracy. I get SDs of 2.5 to 4 consistently. Never before had such consistent performance from a cartridge.

Respecting your opinion, I have over four dozen game animals and perhaps as many varmints, dispatched beteeen 500 and 1200 yards that might differ...if they could. If the 6.5x284 "Norma" and it's performance characteristics, well proven in competition and LRH, never existed, it's likely that the 260R, 6.5Magnum, and 264WM would still be obscure oddities, and the 6.5CM and PRC may not even exist. It still remains the a top position for "serious" 6.5 LRH, likely accounting for more LR successes then then any of the one of the other 6.5 cartridges over the past several years. It will be here to stay for a long time! Just another viewpoint.

See, this is the problem with pride mixing with braggadocio. People just can't get beyond theirs and look dispassionately at facts. Just because you managed to kill a bunch of stuff with a 6.5-284 doesn't stop it lacking efficiency. If that were the case I could tell you about a couple train car loads of dead stuff that all fell to a .22lr and it would be a valid refuting argument. Inefficiency was my point which has not been refuted.

Anyway, 6.5-284 is nothing but a rehash of cartridge capabilities that had existed for decades already. Before 6.5 Grendel there was 6.5BR. Before .260rem there was 6.5-08 Asquare and before that there was the .263 Express. Before 6.5-284 there was 6.5-06 Asquare. Before there were any of those the entire world outside the USA had been quite fond of 6.5x55 and 6.5x54 as well as numerous others. 6.5 didn't get popular. Long range shooting did.

See, this is the problem with pride mixing with braggadocio. People just can't get beyond theirs and look dispassionately at facts. Just because you managed to kill a bunch of stuff with a 6.5-284 doesn't stop it lacking efficiency. If that were the case I could tell you about a couple train car loads of dead stuff that all fell to a .22lr and it would be a valid refuting argument. Inefficiency was my point which has not been refuted.

Anyway, 6.5-284 is nothing but a rehash of cartridge capabilities that had existed for decades already. Before 6.5 Grendel there was 6.5BR. Before .260rem there was 6.5-08 Asquare and before that there was the .263 Express. Before 6.5-284 there was 6.5-06 Asquare. Before there were any of those the entire world outside the USA had been quite fond of 6.5x55 and 6.5x54 as well as numerous others. 6.5 didn't get popular. Long range shooting did.
LOL....Save the lecture. ALL cartridges are a rehash of prior cartridges!!! Pick your poison. Effectiveness of a cartridge(getting a specific job done) takes priority over efficiency(subjective costs)...At least for many of us, and defined by the "individuals" specific requirements. My 6.5x284(s) more then meet my personal requirement for effectiveness and efficiency...And, has done so providing a high degree of success and satisfaction for over a decade. A claim that a cartridge is "Over-rated" is a viewpoint, and based upon subjectivity and opinion.

Last edited:
Going with the 6.5x47. Anyone care to share some good recipes...at least favorite powders if nothing else..want to stay away from temp sensitive powders
140 gr bullet? IMR4451, H3250 work well for me. Varget a good choice also

I would look very closely at the new 6.5 PRC.

Compare it with the alternatives and remember that it was designed to accommodate the longer VLD and hybrid bullets within the SAAMI COAL without compressing the powder load, unlike older 6.5 mm cartridges.

And to shoot heavier 6.5 bullets get a 1:7 twist to properly stabilize them.

Eric B.

Well pulled the trigger on my manners stock today, first custom one I've had....now I wait..
EH1 with molded swamp camo.
Went with the picatinny rail on bottom end

Action is already at the Smith. I'm like 10th or 11th in line for the build.. parents are getting me reloading dies and brass for my birthday for the 6.5

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.