Which s/a 6.5?

DXHI

Getting all my parts accumulated to carry to gunsmith soon.
Looking for a low recoil 6.5 on rem short action.
Been looking hard at the 6.5x47 ..but recently the 6.5 Rsaum caught my attention.
Barrel life of lapua is appealing and factory brass.

Purpose..coyote out to 500 some occaisonal bambi

Kinda what my gut was telling me too thanks for confirming that guys

Mg bolt face vs std .308 bolt face. Which do you have? If you haven't purchased yet, go with the std .308 bolt and end your search with the 6.5-47L. You can load 'em long and still fit in the mag well. PERFECT choice.

Do you hand load? If so, the x47 case is really good, very nicely optimized. There's no real answer to what's best. It's what's best for your use case that's at question.

If not .260rem is a hell of a lot more available as is 6.5CM. They're all pretty much in the same basic performance boat, only small differences between them. Of note, a .260AI is basically a match for the 6.5PRC with the proper powder selection except it uses a .473" bolt face. A buddy of mine shoots a .260AI in competition. The thing is hard on targets. 2900fps+ with 140gr class bullets.

The 6.5PRC just doesn't seem like it's a great option for anything. 200fps over a 6.5CM for 50% more powder burned just makes a ton of extra recoil and blast for what is ballistically nothing. And by nothing I mean it. The difference in drop at 500yrds is about 4 inches. It's a great way to put to use a magnum bolt face short action that was built on something abusive in recoil like a .325WSM but IMO, that's all. It seems made to comply with match rules and to give just a little velocity edge to make for less wind drift variance for match shooters.

Getting all my parts accumulated to carry to gunsmith soon.
Looking for a low recoil 6.5 on rem short action.
Been looking hard at the 6.5x47 ..but recently the 6.5 Rsaum caught my attention.
Barrel life of lapua is appealing and factory brass.

Purpose..coyote out to 500 some occaisonal bambi

If you have a .473 boltface, I'd forget the SAUM. If you EVER think you might have need of factory ammo, go with Creedmoor. If you are using a factory ADL or BDL mag box and load your own ammo, go with the x47. If using an AICS type mag, flip a coin...

John

Going with the 6.5x47. Anyone care to share some good recipes...at least favorite powders if nothing else..want to stay away from temp sensitive powders

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.