Which 6.5

wkevin98

Hello All.

I know the 6.5 subject is well documented, and having spent the better part of the week looking up old threads, my head is spinning and I'm not sure I know anymore then when I started. I could use some help/advice.

I'm looking for advice on where to start with the 6.5 game. I have just started reloading and getting more comfortable all the time with it. I am looking for a mid-sized game gun (no 12-15 lb. models) and to begin exploring into long range shooting. I have mixed feelings on getting into something that requires a lot of brass sizing work.

I am leaning towards a .264 win mag right now, but some of the belted case comments cause me to question that.

The 6.5-06 stuff looks interesting, as do the AI models.

The .260 & creedmoor look like good options that may be easier to start with as well.

I'll admit I still have much more to learn on the 6.5 options, but I'm really struggling to pick some direction with it. I do like the idea of something hotter/flatter and I'm ok with the shorter barrel life guns right now.

I'm not 100% sure I need to do a full custom build right now either, was having thoughts of snagging a .264 sendero and just get busy shooting.

Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Your cant go wrong with that Sendero , it is at the top of the heap, however a couple of things you should weight into the formula is this, regardless of which caliber you go with remember to stabilize the new LR bullets , Bergers, NoslerLR, etc that are up in the 600s BC you need to make sure you have the correct twist in the barrel, most of the time folks are having huge problems getting these bullets to shoot correctly , this is mostly because the barrels made for factory rifles in American at not correct to shoot the 140 plus gr bullets,
If you really want to streach out the 6.5 you need to be able to shoot the super high BC bullets and to do that without a custom barrel is going to be tough, a PacNor in SS on your gun is going to spoil $500 to get an 8 twist barrel so you can shoot these bullets that really bring the caliber to life!
An exception to this is guns made overseas already have the faster twists in them, so if you buy say a Tikka in 6.5x55 you already get the 8 twist barrel right from the factory. Some guys are shooting the old Swede up around 2900fps with RL26 powder so its darn close to a 6.5/06 to begin with, if the standard case wont quite cut it you could always go 6.5x55 Improved by just reaming the chamber?? But weather you get a 264WM or a 6.5/06 it is probably not going to have the correct twist in it to shoot these new LR bullets................ the 260 n 6.5 Creedmore are both fine rifles but do not hold the powder the 6.5x55 case will . Your on the right track but just make sure you don't get caught with the wrong twist! Good Luck

I have a 260 Rem but just finished building a 6.5WSM. I deemed the 260 as a bit too slow. (I had a 26 Nosler but that is a little too extreme so I rechambered it to the 6.5WSM.) The I am getting near 26 Nosler performance (3,200 fps with 143gr ELD-X) with much less powder. Also you can buy off the shelf dies from LEE for this chambering so though it is a "wildcat" it is a little short on the wild part. Run 270 WSM brass through the FL die and you are ready. I think the WSM case is better than the 264 WM as it is tough, no belt and can be run in a short action. Plus a lot of 1,000 yard accuracy records have been set with chamberings based on this case. Good luck whatever you decide.

My grandfather shoots .264 wm and has for as long as I remember. Deer, elk, antelope and coyotes we used to call his gun the terminator. It was all black and he didn't miss. It's fairly light, pretty easy to shoot and will get the job done.

I now shoot a .260 built off a rem 700 sa. I have only had it since the beginning of March but have shot put to 600 yards with no issues. I have no hunting experience with it yet but hope to get after some coyotes and maybe the speed goats at the end of August. It is heavy so not much for a mountain rifle but I built it to replace a shot out .220 swift and hone my skills at longer range.

My hunting buddy's wife has started shooting a 6.5x.284 and has taken a mule deer at 440 and a bull elk at 300. There are lots of options, you just need to decide what you want to do with it and how much you want to shoot.

For me I'd be looking at the 6.5creedmoor or 6.5x284. Both can be had on inexpensive factory platforms or in the classifieds.

How far are you wanting to take game? Both will take you as far as you want on paper.

Great advice on the twist of the barrel - I know that's something I catch myself looking past right now.

As far as distances, I'm comfortable shooting game at 300-400 yards right now, and punching paper 500+ with what little practicing I do now.

Now that I have my reloading room built and can shoot from the bench, playing around with loads and not having to go anywhere to punch paper, I know I can become a much better shooter.

If you handload, there are tons more options.

I have experience with the 260REM and 6.5 SLR-S Improved (less taper).

The 6.5 SLR is what I am sticking with. Running mild loads I'm getting 2925fps with es in the low teens. Accuracy is very good making a ragged hole (never bothered to measure).

If you do not hand load, the creedmore would probably be my choice.

Thread where I posted the 6.5 SLR results:
6.5 SLR/S Improved - Ready for testing | Shooters' Forum

Spent a day hydroforming 500 cases, so I'm set for a long time!

I have been hunting with a 264 WM built on a 700 action for the last four years. I have taken deer out to 970, antelope to 710, elk to 850 and moose to 690. It has a Lilja 8 twist and certainly gets the job done. I have had a love affair with the 264 since childhood and it has proven to be a good marriage. I recently bought my daughter a 260 Rem but haven't spent time to know how well I like it.

With that said if I were to pick a caliber unrelated to my infatuation from kidhood, I would settle on the 6.5X284. I really like how that seems to be inherently accurate with down range terminal performance. You cannot ask much more the the 6.5s than what this 284 will deliver.

Swede, Creed, SAUM, Grendel, 260 6.5x284. Who says you can only have one? I shoot them all.

I started with the Swede before the CM was around. Loved it and still do.

I recommend the Creed for the ease of finding good factory ammo and simple reloading. I like what the Swede can offer over the Creed, but to get the most of it, you really need to reload it.

Twist is VERY important in the 6.5 family of cartridges. Especially if you want to run the heavy for caliber bullets.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

Was always interested in the 264 WM but brass was an issue and seemed that Winchester only did a run once a year or so. I think this kept use of the cartridge down as it was deemed almost dead. Now Normal and Nosler have brass for it and I see it all the time in places like Cabela's and Sportsman's. This is turning into a plus, because you have a relatively low use cartridge case with readily available components. How often do you find that these days? Almost NEVER.

I was looking at a 6.5-06 or 6.5-284 now I'm seriously considering the 264 WM.

I'm partial to the 264. It was my first rifle and is my current favorite even over my 300wm and 300rum. I have been toying with the idea of picking up a T3 in a swede for a nice light pack rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.