What's your shot placement choice on this nice 6 point bull?

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Public land bull I photographed a while ago.

Assume the firearm of your choice is being used.

Assume your normally expected shot distance...which is?

Pick a shot placement number that is closest to your choice. (1 to 7)

Feel free to explain your shot placement choice...or not.

What cartridge and bullet combo would you likely use?

At what initial velocity?
elk-shot-placement-1.jpg

2 on the right edge of number. Bull is very slightly quartering on, most room for error in vitals, high shoulder shots put down an animal quickly usually, could hit the nerve cluster that basically turns off all bodily functions, broken shoulders do not lend to animals travelling long distances, little low=heart, little high=still both lungs or even spine.

Anything in the 6.5mm and up range with a good bullet construction. My choice is either my 7RM pushing a 180 Hybrid @ 2996 (my carry rifle), or a .300RUM pushing a 230 Hybrid @ 3050fps (my long range elk rifle).

I'll go with #2 as well.

I think it offers a little more margin for error.

.338 RUM for the same reason.

A bit fickle with bullet, but today it would be the 213 Hammer, started somewhere north of 3200.

Left edge of the tip of the 4, I like that little fold that you can see and about 1/3 up from the bottom. My normal ranges would be 150-350 yards, but I don't have any issues out to 1100ish if I have the right rifle with me.

This year I have two rifles coming, so one of them is the likely gun of choice. A 260ai on a first gen rem ti action and a frozenfibre barrel. Hopefully it will push the 129lrab some decent speeds, the chamber is being cut to put the base of that bullet right at the neck shoulder junction. Or the 33 nosler that is on the way, more basic, just ordered the nosler long range rifle. But I also have a thing for my 26nos - if the barrel makes it 3 more months...

I prefer a shot at a undisturbed bull that isn't all charged up fighting. It doesn't take that much to kill an elk that isn't all charged up (within reason), but get a bull coming in hard to your bugles or give them a marginal hit and they can take a pounding.

5 with a lighter high velocity cartridge , some of the others will kill it depending on how big and well made for the job the bullet is and what velocity . 1 would drop him using a good penetrating bullet but he might run a short ways .

On the left hand side of the four or five. A good bullet at even a modest velocity will take him down there. 6.5mm or 7mm are my calibers of choice for all of my hunting. I like that shot because your bullet is passing through the lungs or top of the heart and your not ruining a bunch of meat.

I'll take shot #4...That's where I shoot deer to save as much meat as possible. Plus, you take out both lungs and the heart, they're going down somewhere. Sometimes in their tracks, and sometimes 10-20 yards away...But never too far.

#2. Shoulder hit through the "top" of the lungs.

Nice big piece of copper going fast. Hammer Hunter or a Barnes TTSX. Weight depends on cartridge. As long as it is arranged for 3000fps plus and decent retained velocity.

I like #4 so you can take out the vitals without loosing any meat as In the shoulder shots. I prefer anything in the magnum 3's with heavy bullets.

Normal situations I would center between 1 and 4. Good chance of getting heart/lungs as well as breaking down the front legs.

If the range is close enough and I have a very stable rest and the animal is stationary, I might consider center between 2 and 3 for a high shoulder/spine.

Number 2 puts them down in there tracks every time! I use a 338 EDGE with 300gr Bergers. I haven't seen a bull walk that combo off taking out shoulder scapula and top of the lungs. In my opinion not much meat is lost. A fist size going in and out is less than loosing the whole animal or for that matter how much you trim when trimming the dried stuff of back at home.

Attachments

• 2011-10-10_17-09-13_707.jpg
    2011-10-10_17-09-13_707.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 179
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.