What's your shot placement choice on this nice 6 point bull?

At the range indicated by the pic which is looking like spitting distance, shoot it in the ear with a .22lr. It's close enough. Yes, I know that's not a legal method of take probably anywhere.

#2 7 MM STW 140 Grn Berger 3100 fps. Range out to 400 yards. Should create a shock wave to the spine to stun the animal long enough to bleed out from the wound channel and not be able to get back up. Shrapnel from bullet and bone fragments will shred lungs and major arteries and vessels in the chest area.

If you drew a line from the 1 to the 5 and the 2 to the 4, I would want to place my bullet in the center of the X.

I shoot a .260 ackley with a 140 vld at 3070, that would give me the most room for error at longer ranges, and would be a nice center lung/possibly top of heart shot. It would also depend on wind direction and how confident I was in my wind call...I have shot animals with this gun from 440 yards to 925 yards.

If I was closer and didnt need as much room for error, I may place my bullet a little higher in an attempt to have impact shock closer to the spine drop him on the spot. If I had to pick one number though....it would be 5.

I have not ever shot an elk so my answer may be way off. I have shot deer 150-175 lb through the heart and have them run 100 yds and shot same size deer through the lungs and drop on spot. And these deer have been with 308 with std 150 gr ptd soft point corelocks. Now since I have been using my 243 with 80 gr hollow points and doing the #7 neck shots ALL deer have dropped in their tracks with no meat loss. Is there an issue with using a 7mm to 308 size hollow point and neck shooting out to 300 yds on elk size neck area ?

What LONGBOMBER said, left edge of #4. Good for both heart and lungs.

I use a 200 gr. .300 Win mag. round in a stainless Browning A-Bolt. It's moving at 2,880 fps. at 2,500 ft. altitude on a clear 60 F. day.

Eric B.

I would aim at the right edge of 2.

+1 on this, but I'm no expert having only killed a handful of elk.
Made a perfect hit (on this spot) at a little over 1,000 yards and dropped him with a single 300 grain SMK out of my .338 Edge. This is the only elk I've ever seen DRT and never twitch a muscle. Again, I'm no expert.
Then last year this aim point saved my butt when I fudged my windage and hit back of ribs, 800+ yards with a 415 grain Cutting Edge MTH from my .408 Cheytac. If intended shot placement was any further back I'd of had a gut shot bull across a very steep and heavily timbered valley.
This season (Lord, family and military willing I get to go) I hope to have a big .375 of sort with either CEB Lazers or Chinchagas. No you don't need the power, but it sure doesn't hurt. That and the wind deflection being half what most "normal" cartridges will do sure puts a man's mind at ease, especially if hunting solo.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts