What's your shot placement choice on this nice 6 point bull?

Number 2
any of my long range guns 28 Nosler (195 EOL), 300 RUM (230 Berger), 338 RUM or Lapua
(300 Berger)
IVE TAKEN ELK WITH ALL 4 AND SAME SHOT PLACEMENT AND NOT ONE HAS GONE OVER 30 FT.

draw an 'X' between 1 & 5 and 2 and 4 - just to the left of where they cross. Cuts through the most heart/lung area at the angle he's standing. Any one of the following: 358 Win 225 gr, 264 WM 142 LRAB or 308 165 gr SGK

I am a person who tries to keep as much in the way of odds in my favor as humanly possible so I would aim at the intersecting center between 1,2, 4 and 5 as that gives me IMHO the largest room for error on my part.

On broad side shots on any animal I aim for what would be the center of his heart/lung area. A bullet through any part of BOTH of a elk's lungs is going to guarantee a quick clean kill 100% every time.

I base my belief on my experience of having killed over 60 deer and 4 bull elk and every single animal I put a bullet through both lungs went down with in sight, and this was using sabot slug ammo, HP rifle ammo and saboted MZ ammo.

I used 2 last year. At 35 yards my 340 mag. and a Barns 225 Tssp past through without expanding evan with shoulder damage and a hole in both lungs had a long tracking job.

I used 2 last year. At 35 yards my 340 mag. and a Barns 225 Tssp past through without expanding evan with shoulder damage and a hole in both lungs had a long tracking job.

It's first hand experiences such as yours that have caused me to shy away from Barnes bullets for HP rifles, which is quite upsetting to me because I absolutely LOVE the way Barnes all copper muzzleloader bullets and Barnes 12ga 2.75" Federal Tipped Expanders performed on deer, if I had to one word to describe their performance would be "devastating"

With 340 W/mag MV your impact velocity was I'm guessing at if not over 3000fps, if an all copper bullet doesn't open up at that speed, it never would have.

Until this past season I had always been shooting dead on at #4 and never had to hunt them down afterward, essentially they'd stumble and list a bit and tip over within a few steps using the 300 win mag and Barnes TTSX 180gr.

For the 2016 season I switched calibers to 7mm rem mag and 168 gr ELD-X handloads. As an experiment I decided to go a bit higher and see if I could get those dead-*** central nervous system drops so my point of aim was in that "X" area between 3, 6, 2, 5.

What I found was no real difference for 1 elk, two mule deer and two antelopes. They all seem to stumble and tip over within 3-10 yards.

Not really comparing apples to apples with the bullet but my shoulder hurts less and I practice a lot more and my freezer is still full.

~Robert

Here are the results

Attachments

• Hunting_Colllage_2016.jpg
    Hunting_Colllage_2016.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 94
Bottom of #2 and left (in line with the front edge of the leg) using either my 300 WSM with 200gr ELDX at 2952 fps or my 7 STW with 162gr ELDX at 3127 fps. DRT!!
I read an article on "wound research" a couple of years ago by Nathan Foster and this is what he considered to be the best POI on game animals. You will notice he's written an article for this months LRH Online Magazine. I was taught to shoot everything at #4 by my friends when I started deer hunting in Michigan back in the early 90's. I don't shoot them there any more. Left of #2 from now on. The meat tastes better when they don't run.........especially antelope!!

I hit a small whitetail at the #6 location with an -06 and was surprised at the lack of meat damage. Missed the shoulders and right under the spine. Not a bad shot but a bit too high up for me. I hit an elk with an arrow in that area and had almost no blood. Never found him. I heard that there is a small air pocket at the top of the lungs that if hit, would leave no blood. Gun would be a different story.

The vitals on an elk are much lower and forward than most people believe. Additionally the leg bones and shoulder are much forward also. the top of the #1 is the proper place to shoot an elk. Many people shoot elk too far back and it only hits the rear lobe area of the lung and causes less vital internal damage....giving the myth that elk are much tougher and durable than they really are.

Elk Hunting Shot Placement: Where to Shoot a Bull

Shot placement: between 2 &5 - effective and more room for error

Range: anywhere under 500 is comfortable - over.... circumstances must be right

Rifle/Load: my only hunting rifle - 375 AI, Barnes 250 TTSX (until they build a TTSX around 300) @ 3130 fps

memtb

Quartering bull gets it in the esophagus?:D

From that website:

Attachments

• IMG_6028.JPG
    IMG_6028.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts