What's your shot placement choice on this nice 6 point bull?

Public land bull I photographed a while ago.

Assume the firearm of your choice is being used.

Assume your normally expected shot distance...which is?

Pick a shot placement number that is closest to your choice. (1 to 7)

Feel free to explain your shot placement choice...or not.

What cartridge and bullet combo would you likely use?

At what initial velocity?
elk-shot-placement-1.jpg
Number 2 right at the bottom left of the 2.
7mm STW, Peregrine 161gr VLR. MV +/- 3250fps.

Top of 4. Use any Hammer Bullet designated for big game hunting at yardage suitable for impacts over 1800fps. This spot leaves room for error and always makes them dead. Consider the 5" radius circle of error.

Steve

Depends upon his location. If he is standing at the top of a bad hole I want him to drop in his tracks. High shoulder shot; top of 2 to bottom of 3. If he is in open country and it won't hurt if he runs a short ways; around the 4. Just not too low.

I aim for 4. Before the range finder days, I would always over estimated range so aiming low was usually a better bet. Plus, I take a heart shot over a lung shot and don't like wasting meat with a shoulder shot.

Given my full year experience with an air gun and very small targets to 85 yards (100s of dead things) and my current plan of hunting with a pack animal carrying my LR/ELR rig and my ride carrying my suppressed, subsonic 300 Blackout with 165 BTSPs @ 1077 FPS I'd grab the Blkout and at that distance with great confidence I put one right smack in the eye.

That's said sitting here at the computer. In real life, given that big guy at that distance I'd probably wet/mess my pants/orgaz simultaneously and shoot a tip off the wale tail.:)

#2. I want my shot to be high in the lungs so they fill with blood and suffocate the animal. If you shoot too low they will drain allowing the Elk to go farther and possibly get lost. # 7 would be my next preferred shot. I've personally seen the effects of hydrostatic shock running up the carotid artery and it's instant death often.

I generally aim center mass; between 4 and 5, left edge. Leave room for error. Try to hit just behind the shoulder, especially at longer distances. This general location has delivered quick kills for us with 6.5, 270, 300 and 338 calibers with minor meat damage out to 780 yards

I have to go with none of the above. I will go with an early traditional shot of just below the ear high in the neck. taking out the cervical vertebrae. I have found nothing better than turning the lights out immediately without wasting meat.
I also have a not-so-traditional cartridge in use, 270 Winchester and 270 WSM. one with a 150 grain Hornady SST or Berger VLD hunting slug, the other with a 180 Berger VLD hunting slug. A pair of custom built Model 70's do very well in Western Montana.
#1 through 7 waste too much meat and the animal can run if you are not using the right slug.
just my two cents worth. :cool:

Last edited:
Between 4 & 5....Maybe the right edge, depends on angle of the shot. Heart/lung shot and save front quarter meat of at least one side. Hopefully both.
A 300 Win Mag 200 grain bullet. Then I'd go kiss his forehead :) And say a thank-you prayer...

#4 Mathews Halon 6 70# 28' draw shooting 560 grain fmj arrow tipped with Slick Trick 100 grain standard. 20 yards complete pass thru. Had to do it lol

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.