What's your shot placement choice on this nice 6 point bull?

Quartering bull gets it in the esophagus?:D

From that website:

Yeah, that pic of the throat shot is AFU, but I used the site for the first body diagram of vitals as I couldn't get a picture to load.

My point is still valid however, despite my poor choice of website.......the vitals are lower and more forward than most realize and shots "center of mass" as some are advocating are too high and too far back. Reading all of the posts here, it doesn't surprise me so many elk are lost after being shot here in Idaho. They can travel far and hard if poorly hit and it is easy to lose them with out a blood trail.

They are NOT just "big deer" as it is clear many assume.

Yeah, that pic of the throat shot is AFU, but I used the site for the first body diagram of vitals as I couldn't get a picture to load.

My point is still valid however, despite my poor choice of website.......the vitals are lower and more forward than most realize and shots "center of mass" as some are advocating are too high and too far back. Reading all of the posts here, it doesn't surprise me so many elk are lost after being shot here in Idaho. They can travel far and hard if poorly hit and it is easy to lose them with out a blood trail.

They are NOT just "big deer" as it is clear many assume.
Actually that's exactly what they are, they are the 2nd Largest of the Cervids in N. America with Moose being the largest.

250 - 700 yards
R-Bros .300 win mag, 27 in Broughton
215gr Berger starting at 2,990 fps

I have always been a heart/lung shooter. Learning to hunt for meat in the 70's shoulder punching was considered a bad shot! Never lost any critter punched through the lungs. I think the only situation that would make me re-think that would be a mountain goat or sheep on a very steep mountain. I might take the high shoulder in that situation.

Last edited:
Public land bull I photographed a while ago.

Assume the firearm of your choice is being used.

Assume your normally expected shot distance...which is?

Pick a shot placement number that is closest to your choice. (1 to 7)

Feel free to explain your shot placement choice...or not.

What cartridge and bullet combo would you likely use?

At what initial velocity?
elk-shot-placement-1.jpg
My opinion is 5 because it is a solid kill and the room for error is good I a circle around number are equally good spine, shoulder, heart and lungs.

Used a #4 at 300 yards this year and it turned out pretty good. Kept as much meat as possible on my table.

6.5 Creedmoor
130 Berger VLD Hunting
2820 fps

If it's windy I'll shoot #2 for largest margin of error.
If it's good conditions, left side of #4
For a rifle I'd take my 300wby slinging 200eldx at 2990fps

Resampled_2013-11-01_17-08-44_450.jpg
Resampled_2013-12-21_15-33-30_582.jpg
Todd's late season cow.jpg

Assume your normally expected shot distance...which is?

Pick a shot placement number that is closest to your choice. (1 to 7)

Feel free to explain your shot placement choice...or not.

What cartridge and bullet combo would you likely use?

At what initial velocity?
elk-shot-placement-1.jpg
What a fantastic bull! Hope I get a chance at one like that on the NTO group hunt this year.
My go to POA for broadside elk is # 4. As a kid I was always taught by my dad and grandfather to aim for the lower third of the chest right in the crease of the shoulder to take out both the heart and lungs.
The last bull I killed a couple years ago here in Utah was with that exact shot at 185 yards with a 50 cal CVA muzzle loader. 250 gr Barnes TE-Z Spitfire
The last 7 cows I've killed have been the following:
Range = 375 - 538 yards
Firearm = .300 Win Mag
Bullet = 215 gr Berger Hybrid at 3093 fps muzzle
All were 1 shot kills, none went farther than 30 yards.

Last edited:

Assume your normally expected shot distance...which is?: 350 - 1100 yards

Pick a shot placement number that is closest to your choice. (1 to 7): Just left of the bottom of number 2

Feel free to explain your shot placement choice...or not... : Preferably would wait for the bull to lower his head/neck slightly until it was inline with the point of aim (seems to be a natural/neutral position), giving the maximum margin of error for windage. This POA/POI has always resulted in quick, clean kills, with lots of 'data' points generated over the years between myself and family members. On a big bull like that, meat damage would be the last thing on my mind. Lose a little bit of shoulder meat (hamburger), verses aim further back trying to 'save' meat, miss a wind call, resulting in a hit too far back, and lose all the meat...

What cartridge and bullet combo would you likely use? 338 Lapua, 285 gr ELD-M / 338 LM, 300 gr Berger Hybrid / 260 Rem, 143 gr ELD-X

At what initial velocity? 2880 fps (285 ELD-M), 2840 fps (300 Hybrid), 2820 fps (143 ELD-X)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.