Shot Placement On Cougar

kimberyote

We have several recent sighting of a mountain lion around my neck of the woods.
I am shooting a 243 win with a 88 grain berger varmint bullet at 3020 FPS.
Go for the vitals to avoid a shoulder splash? Would really like to take his shoulders out if I can. Lots of thick brush around for him to run into if the first shot is not DRT. I have shot yotes in the shoulder with the 88's and the bullet plows right through with no problem. I have had Vmaxes splash on me in the past with shoulder shots. Just wondering about the 88 varmint bergers on a shoulder shot cougars.
Thanks in advance.

Shoot him right behind the shoulder if ya can he won't go far if anywhere he will probably do some jumping around though i think its just a cat thing. Ive shot them right behind the shoulder with 60 grain nbt out of a 22-250 and it works just fine.

My choice would be the 115 Berger VLD but that just me.

Attachments

• mountain-lion-vitals-bowhunting.jpg
    mountain-lion-vitals-bowhunting.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 8,615
  • cougar.jpg
    cougar.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 1,864
Shoot them behind the shoulder, try to hit the heart and don't take a chance on a shoulder, if you get their blood up they can take a pounding and go a long ways, one clean shot to the vitals is what you want!!

I have taken 3. First was with a 17 HMR, second was with a 44-40 revolver and third was with a 22 mag revolver. Right in the crease behind the shoulder, just below center mass will get it done quickly.

Jeff

I too would prefer a shoulder shot. Just be careful and study the anatomy of the cougar so you are certain where the shoulder actually lies as a part of the skeleton. I've known some hunters who, probably in haste, mistake the knee for the shoulder and end up with a wounded cougar on the loose with a wound just below the thoracic cage just behind the knee. Not a good thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.