Whats your favorite RUM?

I had a 338 built up as my elk rifle, Havnt got to test it on live game yet unfortunately.
But she shoots great. Ended up with a 225 Barnes ttsx (gotta love CA). Pushing it around 3100.
All my rifles have brakes, this one recoil wise feels just like my 28 nosler.

Attachments

• DDC7B1D0-1C77-4526-8CBF-4B02CB187C2C.png
    DDC7B1D0-1C77-4526-8CBF-4B02CB187C2C.png
    356.2 KB · Views: 45
So, what is your favorite U.M. for hunting and why?
7, 300, 338, 375, edge, edge +p , other ?????

Why?

Is the extra powder usage worth the gain over wsm, wm?

What about increase in recoil? How heavy is your rifle? What about barrel life?

How much further can you shoot, how much more velocity do you gain in equal length barrels over wsm or wm? How long are you loading ?

View attachment 477421
Well, I had a 7RUM when first introduced on a cheapish BDL way back then, we played around in the shop trying to match the 3 power level ammo…gave up doing that when we had dented shoulders and cases sooted their entire length and blew a brake clean off the barrel. Got just over 700 rounds through it in 5 months and it was toast, now we didn't exactly look after it, it was a shop gun…

Really enjoying the 300 RUM, bought the only gun available here in 2020, a SPS Stainless built in 2015, very nicely finished and has zero issues, even the trigger is smooth for a Remington. Was covered in dust, sat on a shelf for 4 years.
The recoil for me is fine, no problem, but I don't like the feel of the stock at all. Impressed with the ballistics and accuracy, shoots very well for an untouched factory gun, other than a bedding job and re-enforcement around the wrist and fore end.

Built a 338 Edge, really nice cartridge, extremely accurate, but just wasn't fast enough for my liking for 2,000 metre shooting. Sure, it did it with ease, but I felt it lacking.

Cheers.

So, what is your favorite U.M. for hunting and why?
7, 300, 338, 375, edge, edge +p , other ?????

Why?

Is the extra powder usage worth the gain over wsm, wm?

What about increase in recoil? How heavy is your rifle? What about barrel life?

How much further can you shoot, how much more velocity do you gain in equal length barrels over wsm or wm? How long are you loading ?

View attachment 477421

I don't own a RUM, but it could be one of the few cartridge introductions that Remington got correct this century!

That said, for me, it would be the .338 RUM! memtb

I had a 300 rum years ago and enjoyed it. A great shooting rifle but at the time I didn't reload so the limited factory ammo and at the time cost way above a 300 Winny pushed me off.

I've now become a fan of the 30 Nosler and despite the short free bore it's still a great round. I just sold a mid weight model that was shooting 230's at 2980. It was a bit twist limited for the heavies but it worked.

I went a little lighter on the rifle and faster on the twist stepping up to a properly throated 30-28 Nos in an 8 twist. It should be ready in a week or two and I'll start running ladders with the 230's and 245's.

How much extra speed are you guys getting with the 300 rum over a wm or wsm of equal length barrel?
My 300WM easily gets 3180fps with 180's, 2980 with 210's. My 300 Bee gets 3260 with 180's and 3100 with 200's. The RUM easily gets 3450fps with 180's and 3300 with 210's, so quite a step up.

Cheers.