What's your caliber of choice, for coyotes?

That's what's so awesome about the little 17 Remington, low report and the bullet never leaves a yote! IF you miss those little pills come smooth apart. Later,

Kirk

I use two rifles. One in 6mm and the other in .257 Roberts. We thought about maybe a .22 caliber but just never tried one as the others seem to work just fine when I do my part.

my first rifle was a 243, so shot alot with that. I shot a 34 lbs. a couple of days ago w/223 62 gr. tsx, point of shoulder, DRT.broke opposite leg on way out,like my 257wm w/85 bt.340 wm does a good job on them to, shot one last year w/325 head shot, blew his eye out, you get the idea, I shot em with what is handy:D

I've got a 6mm-250 that does very nicely w/ Hornady 75 gr HPs and a 257 AI that shoots 75 gr VMaxes as well as 100 gr Speer HPs for heavier varmints.

I use either a .223 or a 6/250AI. Used to use a 6mm Remington, but have now gone with the 6/250AI. The round fits shorter actions a little better, and cases are easy to find. My next barrel will be for a 1.49 (about that) shoulder deminsion with a 2.00 overall length. But I might do it with a 6mmAI reamer ran into the barrel a little short (actually way short), and then form case out of generic .243 brass.
gary

.204 Ruger, 40 grain Bergers. 6mm-284, 85 grains Sierra Gameking HPBT

I use the .204 primarily. Especially if fox or bobcat is a possibility.

The 6mm-284 gets most of its action when I am supposed to be deer or antelope hunting and cant resist sneaking in a few stands.....

7mm stw and a 300rum. I finally had them quite running with them. tried 204, 223, 22-250, 243, 6.5x284 and kept gettting runners???? they finally quite after jumping to a 162gr. amax @3100

7mm stw and a 300rum. I finally had them quite running with them. tried 204, 223, 22-250, 243, 6.5x284 and kept gettting runners???? they finally quite after jumping to a 162gr. amax @3100

I've never had a single dog get up and run after hitting it with the 6mm Remington. With 80 grain Sierras the dog was often cut in half. I have had them get up and run with a 22-250, but I've got a new bullet combo that may relieve that situation. The results with a .223 were actually better than the 22-250 under 300 yards (most all my shots are under 350 yards). We see a lot of coyotes in the 30 to 35lb. range around here, and every once in awhile a 40lb. dog. I just can't imagine ever needing anything bigger than the 80 grain Seirra as the distruction is horrible
gary

ALL CALIBERS!!! My personal choice is the .460 weatherby. A MA DEUCE is a fine selection as well. Whatever it takes, DOWN WITH THE COYOTES.

Terrain dependant, I guess.

22-250 w/ 50gn blitzkings- normal days

243 w/ 87gn Vmax - windy days or areas where I expect to shoot beyond 300

I'll probably give the 338 lapua a shot or two this spring :)

:) I'V ONLY GOT TO GO TWICE SO FAR & HAVE YET TO SEE ANY DOGS (ONLY HEARD'EM BARKIN'). I TAKE A .22 MAG RIFLE, A .22 MAG RUGER, & A 12 GA
FOR BACK-UP. I JUST GOT MY MINI-14 OFF LAY-AWAY, TOO. gun)

I'M PLANNIN' ON GOIN' TODAY AS SOON AS I GET OFF WORK!!:cool:

I am going to use my .06 and .308 if thay jump on my lap there going to get a tast of my buoy knife LOL. Santa was good to me got my elc call & predator enticer decoy and with the spinning wing DUCK decoy witch lost a wing and grew a rabbit hide on the other side.

Any one i can get my hands on when I see them. Anywhere from 17 HMR to 338 Win. My Ruger M77 .204 with 32 gr Noslers is my truck and calling gun but i grab the .243 with 58 gr V-Maxs when the wind bucks as it often does here in Wyoming. I'd stay away from the 338 Win Mag and 200 gr Accubonds. It'll get the job done done but its a tad messy.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.