What to do with Mark V

Texanhunter34

Have a Weatherby Mark V action. Was used on a .30-378WM Accumark. Now just have to decide on what kind of build to use it for. Considering a .338-378. Would like to be able to shoot 1200+ with it. Under 15lbs. Whats a good custom gun maker that could help with the build and supply good ideas. Lets be creative...
gun)

.30-378 will get you +1500 yards... I think you're grossly underestimating the caliber.

.300 Wby will do 1,000 as a breeze-through...And is noticeably smaller than the .30-378.

338-378 or 338 Lapua Improved both will get you to 3,000 fps with 300 gr. with the right powders and barrel length. I would go 28-30 inch Krieger barrel. Farrel 20 MOA base.

I'm a big fan of the .30-378 however I already have a 7RUM, .300 RUM and 7.82 Warbird that shoot great. So I figure since I have the action I minus well go with a .338. More than anything I want the build to be done right the first time and have confidence with it. I know it will be topped with a NFX so I'm good there. With so many options in a build like this it could get really fun. I've tried emailing Kirby Allen but yet to get a response ( I'm sure he is building or hunting so I understand). But I'm open minded to any good maker though.
gun)

I have wanted a 7.82 Warbird for years...Awesome caliber.

If you have all of those big bores, and it's a .300 Wby bolt face, I'd turn it into a 7mm Wby or .257 Wby Mag.

If you're looking for a big bore expert, Kirby's about the best I've heard of.

mudrunner: great idea but it would be similar to a 6.5 Weatherby I already have.
sugarbear: naw, I think ill go ahead and keep it. Thank you for the welcome, Ive learned a lot and seen some interesting things of here, so I decided to join to get input.

sweetest factory action out there, totally worth a big .338 build. I don't think that Kirby works on Wby actions as he has so many customers wanting a build on customs.
I would PM Broz as well. He had a memorable .338 Lapua built on a Mark V.
I think that if I was going the custom route with the Mark V, I would make that action work a little harder. The .338-.378 improved (.338 KAHN), .338 Terminator (I think the MV will handle it) or the .338 AX ( Lapua Improved). Could even check out the Titan. I would make it weigh 14.5 lbs totally loaded.

Would having one of those rounds be worth the extra effort? ( fire forming brass, little extra powder, barrel life) How much gain would it be over the .338-378 WM?

I would definitely build a big 338 on it. I have been working with a accumark 338-378 at long range and it will match what I could do with my customs.It is a excellent action to work with.A guy that holds some word records at 1000 yards has a Lapua improved on a Mark V action and it has shot unreal to even past 2000 yards.Guys that bad mouth the Mark V action don't know what they are talking about... It is a very capable action and is very strong. It would be tough to beat a 338-378 or Lapu AI