What to do with leftover powder

LOL - Did you ever take high school chemistry?

1 - It does NOT dissolve in water or alcohol.
2 - It dissolves in ionic solvents - acetone and ether.
3 - It can be melted and molded.

Ergo - it is a plastic!

Go back to high school and return your diploma.

OK!!! try water or alcohol and then acetone or ether BUT please do not put a pound of it in a pan and try to melt the stuff.

Guess my question is how old that 500 grains of leftover is?

Easiest answer - grab some more brass & bullets and use it up, say you end up with a few extra rounds? Sounds like a happy problem to me!

Or as JustWoody1 suggests, save and use it for a few fouler/barrel break-in/case-forming rounds. Something where actual ballistic performance is not a great concern.

But - if the leftover is from a much older lot than the new container and you just don't want to load that few more, you can always save it for a test series in a bullet/primer/brass combo that will not require more than 3-4 shots each of low-medium-high powder charge. Unless it's so old it's already turning bad, it'll probably still get you close enough to decide which level of powder charge works the best...just know that when you dive into the newer lot of the same powder you have to start with a few rounds to confirm your results from the older powder, and you may be doing this anyway as you work on tweaking that load to maximize results with a particular launcher.

If all else fails, the roses in front of my porch seem to do really well with an extra shot of fertilizer! Lots of available nitrogen. Cannot say if its okay for a vegetable garden, never tried that...

I don't mix powder. At end of the day I don't take a chance. Powder is cheap when you consider other things like time wasted if it was to affect things. This is just me!

Over time I am reducing the number of different bullets, different powders, different primers and different brass that I use. None of my powder is very old as I shoot a lot. H1000, IMR 4831 and IMR 4064: these three cover all of my bottle neck cartridges, giving good accuracy and performance (4895 and 2400 for the 45-70 and 44 W.C.F. Unique and Bullseye for the pistols). Once I hit on the right load I search no further, load 50 at a time so I am always ready for a hunt or a target. Lately my 308 and 358 Winchester give me pure pleasure. Go to the range, shoot five each at a pie plate with a sticker target. Might bring along the EDGE for five rounds at 300. I am old but life is still good... I go when the sun is high and hot as others say it is too hot to shoot: impossible! Same as the winter too cold or wet!, NEVER.

Over time I am reducing the number of different bullets, different powders, different primers and different brass that I use. None of my powder is very old as I shoot a lot. H1000, IMR 4831 and IMR 4064: these three cover all of my bottle neck cartridges, giving good accuracy and performance (4895 and 2400 for the 45-70 and 44 W.C.F. Unique and Bullseye for the pistols). Once I hit on the right load I search no further, load 50 at a time so I am always ready for a hunt or a target. Lately my 308 and 358 Winchester give me pure pleasure. Go to the range, shoot five each at a pie plate with a sticker target. Might bring along the EDGE for five rounds at 300. I am old but life is still good... I go when the sun is high and hot as others say it is too hot to shoot: impossible! Same as the winter too cold or wet!, NEVER.

I hear ya! One day. Working towards that but enjoying life with the kids now and my time is more limited. Enjoy.
Reminds me of a friend of mine. Shoots a lot in the hot sun. He takes a portable DC fan with a cooler with drinks. Lol.

I'm curious, say you have loaded 50 rounds of ammo to take to the range. The keg you loaded them from has about 500 grains left. You have a new keg from the same lot and of course the same type of powder. Is it OK to pour the remainder into the new keg so it doesn't go to waste. The reason I'm asking is i have a lot of 1# kegs with small amounts that have the same lot number and don't really know what to do with it. Just can't bring myself to throw it away.
Mix it in ..I always do!

Mix it in ..I always do!
My big consumer is the EDGE 90 to 100g per shot. The 358 uses 50g per shot and the 308 around 42g per shot. 7000g/lb and I buy the 8 pound jugs. Even the EDGE gives me 560 rds per jug and I don't shoot that many in the course of a year. The 358 is my most efficient killer at 50g per shot or 1,120 shots out of an 8lb jug. Lots of shooting at five a time. The 358 gives me 2650fps on a 200g RN SGK. That is my hunting round this year. Last year I used the EDGE: my idea of diversity, ha can order four jugs and pay just one hazmat fee: MidSouth is my best source lately.