What powder is insideRem 7saum cartridge 160gr nosler partitions?

elmerdeer

I'm pulling bullets from the 7saum cases to turn them into 6.5saum.
The case holds 60grs of very fine powder for the 160gr partitions, what type of powder is It?
Can I use it for my 280AI or my
6.5saum?
I have 500 remington 7saum cases that I have to pull all the bullets and powder don't want to throw it out if I can use it properly.
Thank you,
Elmer

You might as well throw this powder in your garden for two reasons, the 1st is the factory sometimes has their own propellants made to order and 2nd is the ammo maker will not divulge what powder is loaded in them. I know this from experience, as I called Remington and asked them what powder they loaded into their 338RUM 250 grain Swift A-frame ammo. They wouldn't tell me but after loading for the cartridge I would bet a dollar to a donut hole that it is H4831SC. Powder isn't cheap but it is not so expensive you can risk your firearm, health and possibly your life messing around with an unknown component.

Many years ago when IMR powders were without much competition, I bought several unmarked pounds from a friend whose uncle died. I did not load any of it right away. Sent a letter to DuPont (they owned the IMR brand back then) and asked them to identify it. Received a response that they cannot identify powder without doing a "bomb test". This involves putting a known quantity of powder in a sealed container, dropping it in a water tank, and exploding it while recording detonation results.

Compressed load, or close to it? Looks like Hybrid 100V would be my guess? See photo of powder. And Hodgdon data puts it around 60 gr with a Nosler? Good Luck. http://www.ilrc.ucf.edu/powders/sample_detail.php?powder_id=160

Look at all the different powder photos and check the size. Ball powders would be a fine powder.

Use this information at your own risk.

Attachments

• Hodgdon data 7mm saum.JPG
    Hodgdon data 7mm saum.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 154
Thank you for all the helpful insights on my question, I will put it on the side for now and not screw around with it. And if I ever figure it out maybe i'll use if not fertilizer it is lol. But its the finest smallest particle size I've seen as far as powder goes for the 160's, the shells with the 140's looks like h4831.

thank you,
Elmer

you could guess the approximate burn rate by amount, cartridge, bullet weight, etc... then do a run up with it as though you were shooting a wildcat cartridge... not really viable unless they are the same lot # though as differing lots of the same ammo may actually use different powder. They often have three or more powders that are within "spec" for a given load... Unless you have at least a couple of # of powder (same lot#) it is basically fertilizer...

Be careful here, as they factory will never tell you what the heck they did to start with...

you could guess the approximate burn rate by amount, cartridge, bullet weight, etc... then do a run up with it as though you were shooting a wildcat cartridge... not really viable unless they are the same lot # though as differing lots of the same ammo may actually use different powder. They often have three or more powders that are within "spec" for a given load... Unless you have at least a couple of # of powder (same lot#) it is basically fertilizer...

Be careful here, as they factory will never tell you what the heck they did to start with...
Very good point - the same lot #

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.