What is this powder?

lisagrantb

CEE4D8BF-83F1-4024-9265-CD6987F622B2.jpeg
A buddy of mine had someone reload a few rounds for him and since then the guy has moved away and when we spoke with him he can't remember what power he used. The load is for a 338 LM using Lapua brass fed mag match primers and 300g Berger otm with 88g of powder. If we can identify the powder we can duplicate the load that works really well in his gun. Here is a photo of it

It kinda does look like H50 but at 88 grains that's well below the minimum starting point. I'm thinking H1000, retumbo or maybe a vv powder. Since I don't have any of those I can't compare. My plan was if I could be pretty sure of the powder I would get some and work up to the velocity he's getting now. Even if we guess the correct powder I need to work to match his velocity because it will be a different lott of power.

Looks like Retumbo to me, but both H1000 and Retumbo look very similar.
Does it smell?
Single base powders smell strongly of Ether, double base powders do not have an Ether smell. This may narrow down your search as to what it truly is.

Cheers.

No it doesn't smell or have that ammonia aroma. Looking at the photo of Retumbo on Hodgdon web site I see some pieces with a little different coloring. This powder all the pieces look exactly the same

Hodgdon powder for sure. The color is the give away. With the charge and bullet you listed, could either be H1000 or Retumbo.

This looks like almost every rod/stick powder made. Please, do not guess on what this is and just start over. It's not worth taking a guess or even a educated guess and guessing wrong. Since we have so many avenues to find great loads there is really no reason to guess and take a chance. Please stay safe and find a new load that works best for you and your rifle.

This won't help you solve the present puzzle, but for anyone reloading it is very important to keep detailed records. I have logs with every round I've ever put together, and each box of cartridges has the load details right on the label, bullet specs, powder type and charge weight, primer, number of times the brass has been loaded including the present time, COAL or BTO measurement, and how the cases were resized for the present loading (shoulder setback for which individual rifle). Labels and logs also have dates and what I call lot number.
I don't want to hazard a guess as to your powder sample, in your shoes I'd simply start over. If you have some of those loads to shoot yet, I would use a chronograph to see where the gun is running with that load to give a target MV to head for. Might save you some time finding the good node.

The OP indicated they'd start low and work up once the powder is IDed, so it seems they're aware of the obvious dangers in "guessing".

Do you have any other "magnum" powders? It might help us ID if you can post a picture with the unknown powder next to some known powders. Do you know anyone with a stash of powders that you could directly compare it too?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts