What is this powder?

View attachment 124865 A buddy of mine had someone reload a few rounds for him and since then the guy has moved away and when we spoke with him he can't remember what power he used. The load is for a 338 LM using Lapua brass fed mag match primers and 300g Berger otm with 88g of powder. If we can identify the powder we can duplicate the load that works really well in his gun. Here is a photo of it
You will never know for sure. Discard and start with something known. Not worth the risk and without knowing what it is, you will never be able to reproduce the results even if they were good.

Good grief, you don't need to toss the stuff out, just shoot what you have. When it comes time, get a can of both H1000 and (my guess) Retumbo. However it may not be either. I don't have examples of every powder out there and it's hard to tell from a picture..

Start out in the middle of the data for the Hodgdon powders and see if you can get the same accuracy out of either one. And keep good records! If you just go and throw 88 grains of either one you are asking for trouble. Although, Hodgon lists higher max loads for both powders. But again, keep in mind that anything anyone tells you about this powder is guessing! Might be a good guess, might not! Don't take chances.
Good luck,
Cheers,
crkckr

Here is a pic of Retumbo I just took
IMG_0957.JPG

Thanks for all the input I really do. Not to seem like an *** but I've reloaded hundreds of thousands of rounds of shotgun, pistol, high volume rifle and precision rifle over the last 40-45 years. All I'm trying to do is help a friend out without having to go through the whole load development process. This is a proven load in his gun both winter and summer and he has dope already worked out. He has 75 rounds left and hopefully I can get him something that matches his load so it will be a bumpless transfer. These are the only powders I have in that category to compare it with. The imr and re25 powders are darker in color. I know it's not H4350 but it looks almost the same. I'm thinking it's either retumbo or h1000, I'm leaning 1000. May just get some and give it a try. Thanks
68C8166D-1FF9-496C-8163-687E31704DAF.jpeg

20190303_131631.jpg
20190303_131529.jpg
Which sorta looks like it but then so does this pic of H1000. Or the next one, 7828. Or was the first one...? Aw, don't matter, we're all guessing. Only way to be sure is try to most likely suspects and go from there.
Cheers,
crkckr

Good luc
View attachment 124865 A buddy of mine had someone reload a few rounds for him and since then the guy has moved away and when we spoke with him he can't remember what power he used. The load is for a 338 LM using Lapua brass fed mag match primers and 300g Berger otm with 88g of powder. If we can identify the powder we can duplicate the load that works really well in his gun. Here is a photo of it
Good luck with the photo ..I believe there are currently 150+ powders on the market today. However 88 grains fits with H1000 as a good safe starting point. I shoot 300 gr. Sierra's at 91.5 H1000. No signs of pressure and .75 moa...but I'm old and shaky!

Both the H1000 and Retumbo, when looked at closely (I look at everything closely with my reading glasses or I can't see ca-ca!) have two color grains, although it's a little more pronounced with the H1000. It also appears to me that when enlarging the OP's picture that there are some gold tinted grains as well. However, it could just be reflection from the gold colored pan, which is why I posted the picture of the IMR 7828. I still say we're all guessing and the OP essentially needs to start from scratch - with our two best guesses.
Cheets,
crkckr

Guessing while reloading is a sure path to disaster.
I would suggest using a chronograph, distance and accuracy charts with location GPS, direction, time, temp etc for standard data using ammunition you have.
Then purchase powders and reload carefully, with shooting results in the same parameters as your prior loggings.
You should be able to obtain similar results. I believe if you are careful and consistent your reload results will produce better results with your own recipe.
Always be careful, write a log of what you will do before you reload, keep it all clean, organized and never ever do any act without solid data first.

Thanks for all the input I really do. Not to seem like an --- but I've reloaded hundreds of thousands of rounds of shotgun, pistol, high volume rifle and precision rifle over the last 40-45 years. All I'm trying to do is help a friend out without having to go through the whole load development process. This is a proven load in his gun both winter and summer and he has dope already worked out. He has 75 rounds left and hopefully I can get him something that matches his load so it will be a bumpless transfer. These are the only powders I have in that category to compare it with. The imr and re25 powders are darker in color. I know it's not H4350 but it looks almost the same. I'm thinking it's either retumbo or h1000, I'm leaning 1000. May just get some and give it a try. Thanks View attachment 125115

Try to make a load with H1000 and see where it goes from there. That powder really doesn't look like Retumbo to me.

I use Retumbo exclusively for my LM. Not too impressed with H1000 or 7828 with 300gr bullets. I'll use them for lower weight projectiles, but thats it.

What primers? Any idea there? That'll be another one you may have to figure out.

You should be able to get an idea of what you're looking for. Reloading really isn't the alchemy or rocket surgery some make it out to be. If it was we'd all need a license to buy the components and a degree to use them.

Yea I know everything except powder. Just ordered some H1000 from Brownells with their 10% off and free shipping and will try and duplicate his load. Thanks again for everyone's help

Shoot the loaded rounds you have. If you just have a container of the unidentified powder, THROW IT AWAY! OR use it to BLOW A STUMP! BUT GET WAY, WAY, BACK! NEVER, EVER ask OR ACCEPT ANY ANSWER to a question like that! VERY DANGEROUS GROUND you're TREADING ON!
Theosmithjr

What would it cost to ship a few rounds to Hodgdon and have them analyze it, probably for no charge?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.