What is this powder?

Maybe you should just buy a pound of Retumbo and H1000 and do a couple loads it would be faster n cheaper. Hodgdons website list both powders as safe at 88 grains

View attachment 124865 A buddy of mine had someone reload a few rounds for him and since then the guy has moved away and when we spoke with him he can't remember what power he used. The load is for a 338 LM using Lapua brass fed mag match primers and 300g Berger otm with 88g of powder. If we can identify the powder we can duplicate the load that works really well in his gun. Here is a photo of it
i would check your reloading manuals under retumbo and H100 with 88 grains of powder, compare then start at minimum load and work up !

View attachment 124865 A buddy of mine had someone reload a few rounds for him and since then the guy has moved away and when we spoke with him he can't remember what power he used. The load is for a 338 LM using Lapua brass fed mag match primers and 300g Berger otm with 88g of powder. If we can identify the powder we can duplicate the load that works really well in his gun. Here is a photo of it
If you don't know for sure, it is nothing but fire starter.

Cracks me up that half of the replies are Chicken Little "YOU'LL DIE IF YOU GUESS!", despite the OP having said this in the next post...
...My plan was if I could be pretty sure of the powder I would get some and work up to the velocity he's getting now. Even if we guess the correct powder I need to work to match his velocity because it will be a different lott of power.

I suggest people read the thread before tossing out harsh and unhelpful blanket statements. Besides, after the 9th "Don't EVER GUESS!" comment, the point was made sufficiently.

The OP is not guessing a load. The plan is to guess the powder, then WORK UP the load. Do you think if someone had said "That's definitely Red Dot!", the OP woulda bought some and tossed 88 grains into a 338 LM? The OP's approach is perfectly safe and smart, and will hopefully save some money with the help of crowd sourced powder IDing.

Anyway, my guess is also H1000 or Retumbo. As others stated, Hodgden "Extreme" powders often have that goldish hue (at least Varget, Retumbo, and H1000 do, and it's **** sure not 88 grains of Varget in there...)

BTW, good job with the comparison picture OP. It's not easy to get good detail of something like that.

Here's my attempt with an iPhone...Retumbo is the one next to the bullet, and H1000 is on the right. Even having both powders here in person, I'm REALLY hard pressed to find a difference...
IMG_4026.jpg

This won't help you solve the present puzzle, but for anyone reloading it is very important to keep detailed records. I have logs with every round I've ever put together, and each box of cartridges has the load details right on the label, bullet specs, powder type and charge weight, primer, number of times the brass has been loaded including the present time, COAL or BTO measurement, and how the cases were resized for the present loading (shoulder setback for which individual rifle). Labels and logs also have dates and what I call lot number.
I don't want to hazard a guess as to your powder sample, in your shoes I'd simply start over. If you have some of those loads to shoot yet, I would use a chronograph to see where the gun is running with that load to give a target MV to head for. Might save you some time finding the good node.

7magcreedmore:
Sounds like a great label/logging setup, and a bit more complete than mine. Photos would be nice. Not looking for any of your data, just the label/log/etc. setup. Thanks.
R2RR

Did you by chance chronograph? I would load retumo @88 and see if it matched the speed. If not try h1000. Both are safe @ 88grains as was mentioned. Unless their was tight head space or something I'd work it up for speed if your going to push it past 1000 yards. I'm @ 90 plus retumo- 300 grain bergers and 1850 yards has been doable of the wind is ok.

It's running around 2660fps. I'm getting some H1000 and work up to that velocity and see how it goes. Thanks

It kinda does look like H50 but at 88 grains that's well below the minimum starting point. I'm thinking H1000, retumbo or maybe a vv powder. Since I don't have any of those I can't compare. My plan was if I could be pretty sure of the powder I would get some and work up to the velocity he's getting now. Even if we guess the correct powder I need to work to match his velocity because it will be a different lott of power.
You are on the right track here. If you work up one of your "guesses" and it is worked up from book data, it is a safe route to go. If either "guess" works up to and shoots like the old load (velocity, group size & charge weight) that means you probably "guessed" right. It doesn't mean that's what it actually was but your playing in the same ball park by the rules and you will end up where you want to be.

lisagrantb,,
If it's any help, H1000 grain length is normally .060 in. avg. diam. is listed as .048 in. Retumbo kernels are dark gray in color, average about .046 in diam. and .066 in. in length. Length ranges from .063 to .069

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.