How to know what powder is used in a manufactured cartridge

. If this powder was supposed to be Varget, for example, it would ship as bulk #### lot and blended with other bulk #### lots to get the desired ballistics.

Are you saying if (Varget) bulk lot 1234 is 5% less than desired, they find (Varget) bulk lot 6789 that was 5% over desired and mix the lots to try to get it right where desired? Am I understanding that correctly?

Seems like coronavirus restrictions may be getting to some of us... a few saucy members on this morning.

My Savage REALLY like Hornady A-Max black. So, I use Hornady cases, Hornady A-Max bullets and powder that gives me the same velocity. Works for me so far.

I've called several ammo manufacturers in the past, trying to duplicate their loads, none of them would tell me what powder that they were using. The only thing they would say was it was a proprietary load manufactured for them. Basically said look up load data and see what comes close to the speeds of their ammunition. But work up slowly, and don't go for the max load to start.

Trailboss is the best bet for hand loaders. You almost can't put enough in a rifle to get to a dangerous pressure. Downloading powders like 110 in such a large case is difficult because it leaves so much empty space. You'll get erratic ignition. Try the trailboss.

I have read that ammo makers blend powders to get the desired results and consistency, not something you can buy or do at home
When I noted that one box of 6.5 Grendel Hornady "Custom" had silver colored primers and another had brass colored primers, I contacted Hornady. The technician told me that they also change primers "as needed" to keep production rolling as long as it meets their internal specifications for pressure and velocity from lot to lot.

Ok. Just for my interest. Which trailboss is being quoted. Hodgdon or IMR as they are different and have different burn rates. It does matter right??
to the OP
I once had a similar Question for myself ( and yes it was me as I recognized my voice) Was wondering if superformance powder was the same as StaBall6.5.(as I had 8# of it and no superformance and liked the ballistics of the Hornady 129SST with superformance powder) My conclusion was no but very similar in every measurable manner.
Once I got to my accuracy velocity I was GTG.
My advice would to do as you stated. (And others) Remove the projectile, weight the powder but also inspect the powder for shape (extruded vs sphere vs flake) and measure a piece as well if needed. There is lots of descriptive data on powder web sites. Then find a similar powder to these findings and burn rate and you'll likely be really close without blowing yourself up.
good luck and be sure to report back as I'm very curious. Besides some will be out of their corners by then....JK guys JK.
good luck.

If it's legal I will send you 30-30 brass once fired. You pay just the cost of shipping. Quick look at my inventory I have 8 pounds in one box and I may have more.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.JPG
    DSCN0001.JPG
    651.8 KB · Views: 99
If it's legal I will send you 30-30 brass once fired. You pay just the cost of shipping. Quick look at my inventory I have 8 pounds in one box and I may have more.
You need to know the countries import policy on brass or components.

EG. I can import brass & projectiles into Australia but I have to have pre completed a special form & submit it to the customs authority.

If it comes in without this it will be seized.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts