How to know what powder is used in a manufactured cartridge

Gawpp

Hi,

I own a silenced Marlin 336 XLR .30-30 Win which I shoot with subsonic ammo (Sologne Klassic Subsonic .30-30 Win 170 gr).

The problem is, I live in France and here there is only one manufacturer (Sologne) making and selling this ammo (and they sell it to resellers only). Because of this, it is sometimes hard to find these ammunitions and it is EXPENSIVE: 70€ (75$) for a box of 20.

If I was handloading/reloading, I could easily divide the cost by 2 or even 3.

I already know the bullet they use (Hornady Interlock FP 170 gr). I can know how much powder they use by opening a bullet and weighting the powder.

The only thing I need to know is the type of powder they use. Do you have any tip on how to identify the type of powder used in a cartridge?

Thanks!

Don't be concerned about what powder the manufacturer used in the loaded rounds but by all means take the same components & make your own.
I did the same thing with my 270W.
It loved factory Hornady 130gr SST, I used the once fired cases, bought some .277 Hornady SST projectiles, picked a powder that was suitable for the 270W with that weight projectile & went through the process of working up a load.

You can get safe load data online now from most powder manufacturers, just punch in 30/30 then bullet weight & it will give you what powders work for the 170gr.

Most ammunition manufacturers use what is commonly known as "Cannister" powder. It is made exclusively for them and not available to the public.

Canister powder is what WE buy... i.e. "CAN".

Manufactures use "bulk" powders that are different than what we get. Canister powders are blended so ezch time we buy a "can" of 4895, it is the ~same as the last can.

Hi,

I own a silenced Marlin 336 XLR .30-30 Win which I shoot with subsonic ammo (Sologne Klassic Subsonic .30-30 Win 170 gr).

The problem is, I live in France and here there is only one manufacturer (Sologne) making and selling this ammo (and they sell it to resellers only). Because of this, it is sometimes hard to find these ammunitions and it is EXPENSIVE: 70€ (75$) for a box of 20.

If I was handloading/reloading, I could easily divide the cost by 2 or even 3.

I already know the bullet they use (Hornady Interlock FP 170 gr). I can know how much powder they use by opening a bullet and weighting the powder.

The only thing I need to know is the type of powder they use. Do you have any tip on how to identify the type of powder used in a cartridge?

Thanks!

There is a piece of computer software called "QuickLOAD"...

... that will help you chose a fast powder that will allow you to match the velocity and pressure of the load you want.

Easy peasy.

There is a piece of computer software called "QuickLOAD"...

... that will help you chose a fast powder that will allow you to match the velocity and pressure of the load you want.

Easy peasy.
If he doesn't know what powder is used, he'll need some special equipment to duplicate pressures, big unknown.

Canister powder is what WE buy... i.e. "CAN".

Manufactures use "bulk" powders that are different than what we get. Canister powders are blended so ezch time we buy a "can" of 4895, it is the ~same as the last can.
I have a friend who started an ammo business, he swears he shoots Canister powders, special blends from a mfr. 40lb kegs.

If he doesn't know what powder is used, he'll need some special equipment to duplicate pressures, big unknown.

He does not - the software will give pressure curves for each powder and bullet weight. The main concern with loads like this is not high pressure, but low pressure - too low and you stick a bullet in the barrel, and it won't come out.

I have a friend who started an ammo business, he swears he shoots Canister powders, special blends from a mfr. 40lb kegs.

He is NOT an ammunition manufacturer... he is a hand loader that sells hand loads. When he starts buying powder in thousand+ pound amounts, and his primers are delivered on pallets, in 1,000,000 piece quantities, he is a manufacturer.

Powder manufacturers do NOT blend special powder for him.

He does not - the software will give pressure curves for each powder and bullet weight. The main concern with loads like this is not high pressure, but low pressure - too low and you stick a bullet in the barrel, and it won't come out.

He is NOT an ammunition manufacturer... he is a hand loader that sells hand loads. When he starts buying powder in thousand+ pound amounts, and his primers are delivered on pallets, in 1,000,000 piece quantities, he is a manufacturer.

Powder manufacturers do NOT blend special powder for him.
On your first one, his only baseline will be speed, nothing else.
2md one, good you know what his arrangements are, lol

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.