How to know what powder is used in a manufactured cartridge

Your barrel doesn't care what powder is used. It's an inanimate object. Velocity is the key for any given projectile. If I had a way to use compressed air and get that same velocity with all things being the same i would.
Are saying you don't you don't test several powders to find the best powder for your rifle. Just pick one and adjust to match velocity? I am not saying you shouldn't try to match velocity I start out trying to do that but if accuracy, extreme spread, average deviation all come together at another velocity I will use it. I have tried to find a powder that will match ELD-M 6.5 Creedmoor and can't come close to factory velocity. Has anyone been able to do that if they have please tell me what powder they are using.

in A nutshell yes!! Who am I to tell someone wh
Are saying you don't you don't test several powders to find the best powder for your rifle. Just pick one and adjust to match velocity? I am not saying you shouldn't try to match velocity I start out trying to do that but if accuracy, extreme spread, average deviation all come together at another velocity I will use it. I have tried to find a powder that will match ELD-M 6.5 Creedmoor and can't come close to factory velocity. Has anyone been able to do that if they have please tell me what powder they are using.
The short answer is YES. There may be 2-4 accuracy nodes in any ladder test of powder (or compressed air).....get the point. You can use anything to get you there. I didn't say anything about ESs SDs or seating deapth nor which wt or type of bullet would give you accuracy and Prcision. who am I to tell anyone what they should use for powder/ bullet primer or brass. I simply share my experiences and thoughts. You don't have to share my views. It's a free country And I fought for that so I think I've earned it.
Now as to your ELD-M 6.5 question. As it happens. I've got a vast array of LabRadar data for several powders, primers, bullets at all matter of seating depths using no less then 5 types of brass in both SRP and LRP in both a long and short barrelled rifle. I have this because it's fun and a hobby. Not necessarily because I haven't found what works perfectly. Perhaps if you asked nicely I'd share that with you. With a little research and reading (which based on your other posts you have some difficulty with) you'll realize I've likely already have posted. 😉

FWIW there are threads on single powders for several calibers....,so again
yes you can use one powder for most needs. I like 4350 and 4064. Load that in everything from 223 - 270. There not the best but accuracy to 1 MOA in ALL my loads.

in A nutshell yes!! Who am I to tell someone wh

The short answer is YES. There may be 2-4 accuracy nodes in any ladder test of powder (or compressed air).....get the point. You can use anything to get you there. I didn't say anything about ESs SDs or seating deapth nor which wt or type of bullet would give you accuracy and Prcision. who am I to tell anyone what they should use for powder/ bullet primer or brass. I simply share my experiences and thoughts. You don't have to share my views. It's a free country And I fought for that so I think I've earned it.
Now as to your ELD-M 6.5 question. As it happens. I've got a vast array of LabRadar data for several powders, primers, bullets at all matter of seating depths using no less then 5 types of brass in both SRP and LRP in both a long and short barrelled rifle. I have this because it's fun and a hobby. Not necessarily because I haven't found what works perfectly. Perhaps if you asked nicely I'd share that with you. With a little research and reading (which based on your other posts you have some difficulty with) you'll realize I've likely already have posted. 😉

FWIW there are threads on single powders for several calibers....,so again
yes you can use one powder for most needs. I like 4350 and 4064. Load that in everything from 223 - 270. There not the best but accuracy to 1 MOA in ALL my loads.
Thank you for your services and I served my country as well. I am not sure what I said that was out of line but I am sorry for it. If you would like to share your work with I would appreciate it.

Thank you for your services and I served my country as well. I am not sure what I said that was out of line but I am sorry for it. If you would like to share your work with I would appreciate it.
I apologize too as to me it sounded a little conditioning. Thank you for your service as well
PM me anytime and I'd be happy to share any data I have.cant respond tomorrow as I'm at the range doing load development on a 26nosler.

It has been said trailboss or equivalent. You just can't take any powder and use less or you may get detonation and hurt your self I have used vitrovury in a 300 whisper but it was pistol powder in that small case trailboss is best safe bet. David

It has been said trailboss or equivalent. You just can't take any powder and use less or you may get detonation and hurt your self I have used vitrovury in a 300 whisper but it was pistol powder in that small case trailboss is best safe bet. David

True, you CANNOT just take any powder and use smaller charges to get a velocity with subsonic loads. Normally you must switch to powders that are specially made for that type reloading. Trail boss is an example and then you must be careful or you can get a "detonation" and blow the gun up and end up in the hospital. You can use extremely small loads of pistol powders like H110 but again it can be easy to double charge that type powder.

Back to what the OP asked.

6.5 of Trail Boss w/160 997fps, 9.0gr 1195fps

7.0 Unique w/170 1240 fps

6.5 RedDot w/160 1311fps

15 5744 w/170 1490fps

It would also be easy to work up a 4227 or 4198 load.

Last edited:
Dear Gowpp,

Have you already tried my recipe
Load the 170 grain bullet with 7 grain of Vectan Ba10. Chronograph and add or reduce the load in .2 grain increments until you find a load that gives you 1000 -1050 fps
You should easily find Ba10 in France :)
If you want you can use other similar Vectan powders like A1
Or let me know what shotgun/handgun powders you can use and will give you more information

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.