What next? I'm thinking 6.5 cal

Here is my 2 pennies. The 6.5x284 norma is great...I have one in a savage. The brass is expensive if you buy the Lapua for reloading. Also to get the 140'going up around 3000 ft per sec you seem to need at least a 26 inch barrel and retumbo or 30 inch barrel with some of the more regular powders like 4831, or 4350. Hybrid 100V is good but its not temp stable as I have found out. It all depends on how fast you want to go. I think something like a 6.5-o6 with an AI shoulder would do the trick with a 26 inch barrel. Depending on which brass you use it can basically be found in any brand. I think you also could get by with some of the more conventional powders as well. Something that's does not have to be to slow of a burn rate and velocity would also be up there as well. My 6.5 is only hitting about 2850 with hand loads before pressure shows up. Also I have had some pressure from over the counter HSM ammo. Which was a little off for a factory rifle. Bolt was tight and I had some firing pin marks. Accuracy was still sub MOA. Actually everything that comes off the shelf has been sub moa in this rifle. But I would like about another 200/250 ft per second if I could get it. So probably my next 6.5 will be a 264 win mag, 6.5WSM, or maybe something that can push the 140 berger at 3000 to 3100 ft/sec. That would be a smoking mule dear gun in my opinion.

I really appreciate everyone's input on this. I still not sure where I will go with this build. But you have given me some good ideas. I have some more research to do.

"Also I have had some pressure from over the counter HSM ammo"

HSM should not be allowed to sell their junk 6.5 ammo. Measure a round & see how far they seat it into the case with a Berger 140. Definitely going to give you pressure and zero accuracy. Not sure why they seated so far in maybe for SA mags ??
If not mistaken they were around 2.90 ish which is way short of COAL of 3.228

That will flatten primers....and some other things

I would not worry too much about barrel life for low volume shooting, I have just shy of 2400 rds in one of my barrels and it still shoots fine. The bullets go where I tell them to, it's just that I don't always give them proper instructions ;)

I have recently swapped to H1000 powder. With long cartridge OAL (which your action would allow) I am getting very good V0 (but have not tested this for accuracy yet)

And it's just one of those cartridges that seems to be very easy to load & shoot

Last edited by a moderator:
For game you describe the 6.5x284 is a superb choice. Having taken a few dozen deer and antelope between 50 and 1000 yards, it has been my go to hunting rig for several years. The cartridge design is inherently accurate, it has low recoil, is very easy to load, and when driven to the 3000FPS sweet spot with a 140VLD, the terminal performance on game at both long and short ranges is impressive. A long action, 1:8 twist barrel, 26" length medium/heavy barrel and you will have a very stable long range platform that at approximately 10#, won't break your back if you want to carry it for the day.IMO.

Roe, I always enjoy watching your excellent videos and shooting ... and you're pretty slick with the action.

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for that guys. I forgot all about terminal performance. Greyfox has already said it, I'll just add some visual to his statement. (The deer I shoot is smaller than his species)

Last edited by a moderator:
My .02 for what it's worth, any of the mentioned cartridges will fill the bill. However after shooting out a few 6.5-284's my advise is not all 6.5-284's are created equal and I have heard some bad advise. I like the cartridge BUT it needs to be set up correctly, if you are shooting a 140 class bullet you need enough barrel length, but more important is you need enough free bore. If your throat is short I don't care if you shoot it in an extra long action it doesn't mean crap you need long free bore and enough barrel to take advantage of the cartridge potential. If you cant reach the upper node you have nothing more than a 260, 6.5x47L, 6.5 Creed etc. My first 28" 6.5x284 had a COAL of 2.920" at the lands with a 140 VLD it couldn't reach the upper accuracy node without hammering brass and therefore ran at 2850 fps. The next 28" barrel had enough free bore to run the 140 VLD at the lands with a COAL of 3.220" and ran 3000+ FPS all day long and brass never wore out.
Set it up right or that dog wont run.

Thank you for the replies everyone. This has given me a lot to think about. I am still not sure which way I am going to go. But I better make up my mind soon. I would like to have this rifle up and running by the end of July to have it ready for antelope season.

It is amazing how things change in a short period of time. My son just turned 12 and will be putting in for tags for the first time this year. He has a .243 and shoots it well but he told me tonight that he wants to put in for a cow elk tag. He has been hunting with me for several years and knows what he is getting himself into. So I don't think the .243 is going to cut it. So now I am rethinking this build. I am still going to stick with the 6.5 but thinking more along the lines of a 6.5x55. The main reason being I can get away with a shorter, lighter barrel. And there is less recoil. I think that it would be a fun build and pack plenty of punch. I am thinking about having the factory wood stock cut down to fit him. What do you guys think?

It is amazing how things change in a short period of time. My son just turned 12 and will be putting in for tags for the first time this year. He has a .243 and shoots it well but he told me tonight that he wants to put in for a cow elk tag. He has been hunting with me for several years and knows what he is getting himself into. So I don't think the .243 is going to cut it. So now I am rethinking this build. I am still going to stick with the 6.5 but thinking more along the lines of a 6.5x55. The main reason being I can get away with a shorter, lighter barrel. And there is less recoil. I think that it would be a fun build and pack plenty of punch. I am thinking about having the factory wood stock cut down to fit him. What do you guys think?
I think if you build it right meaning 8-10lbs or so with either cartridge the recoil will not be much of an issue at all. If you're the least bit concerned stick a good brake at the end of the tube and shoot on.

With a wood stock there's a great advantage.

Drill a couple of dowell holes into the stock before you cut it down (from the butt end of course) deep enough to give you an inch of penetration beyond where you are cutting so that when the boy grows beyond needing a youth stock you can simply replace the portion you cut off, insert a couple of wooden dowels, glue them in, and refinish the stock.

For game you describe the 6.5x284 is a superb choice. Having taken a few dozen deer and antelope between 50 and 1000 yards, it has been my go to hunting rig for several years. The cartridge design is inherently accurate, it has low recoil, is very easy to load, and when driven to the 3000FPS sweet spot with a 140VLD, the terminal performance on game at both long and short ranges is impressive. A long action, 1:8 twist barrel, 26" length medium/heavy barrel and you will have a very stable long range platform that at approximately 10#, won't break your back if you want to carry it for the day.IMO.

I second what Greyfox said. I'm getting 3050fps with 140 VLDs in a 26" 8 twist barrel using H4831sc. That's a max load which produces 1/4" groups at 100 yds. Good brass and dies are available.

I'm not sure but if you built a 6.5 SAUM and set it up for 140 VLDs it might work in a long action. Brass is tough to find but it will give you faster velocity than the 6.5x284.

**OK, scratch the 6.5 SAUM. Forgot that you need a magnum bolt face for that cartridge.**

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts