What next? I'm thinking 6.5 cal

Thank you for the replies everyone. This has given me a lot to think about. I am still not sure which way I am going to go. But I better make up my mind soon. I would like to have this rifle up and running by the end of July to have it ready for antelope season.

I have been messing with 6.5's for the last several years, including the 6.5x55, 6.5-284, and .264 Winchester Magnum.

For the exact reasons stated in Rimfire's post, I found the 6.5-284 to be underwhelming. Not the fault of the cartridge itself, but in how the chamber was cut.

For several reasons, I prefer the 6.5x55, loaded to modern pressures in a modern action, to the 6.5-284. Ballistically, my Swede runs step-for-step with my 6.5-284 to 600 yards (as far as I have shot either rifle), which is why I consider the 6.5-284 to be overrated and the Swede to be underrated. Among the smaller cased 6.5's, the Swede is my personal favorite.

Having said that, I think the .264 Winchester Magnum is potentially a better fit for what you are after, especially given your stated timeline. I believe you would be better off selling the Remington 700 you have and buying an off-the-shelf Winchester Model 70 in .264 WM. The final cost would be about the same as the re-barrel you are proposing, without having to worry about any deadline issues related to obtaining the barrel you want or gunsmithing. The .264 WM can be easily downloaded to 6.5x55 levels (which I did when I took it deer hunting in the eastern woods), without sacrificing accuracy, allowing you to load effectively for reduced recoil while retaining the option to load it to full potential as your son grows into it. You could easily incorporate Wildrose's suggested technique for cutting the stock down, giving you a field ready rifle with a minimum of fuss or waiting.

I bought a sporter Model 70 in .264 WM back in 2012 when they were first re-introduced. It is everything I could want in a carry weight 6.5 meant for the hunting fields. For a pure hunting rifle, I prefer it to my other 6.5's. Considering how fond I am of my Swede, that is saying quite a lot.

I again have changed my mind. Its funny how this happens. For my son I am taking his .243 and rebarreling it to a .260 and putting a good brake on it. That should be plenty for a cow elk at reasonable distances. For my 30-06, well I am going with a 280ai. I was going to go with 6.5 but I already have a lot of bullets in the 7mm variety so I decided to go with the 280AI. I know that there is not much difference between the 7mag and the 280AI but it will be another fun caliber to shoot. Thank you to everyone for their input. It has been greatly appreciated.

I again have changed my mind. Its funny how this happens. For my son I am taking his .243 and rebarreling it to a .260 and putting a good brake on it. That should be plenty for a cow elk at reasonable distances. For my 30-06, well I am going with a 280ai. I was going to go with 6.5 but I already have a lot of bullets in the 7mm variety so I decided to go with the 280AI. I know that there is not much difference between the 7mag and the 280AI but it will be another fun caliber to shoot. Thank you to everyone for their input. It has been greatly appreciated.
I think yall will enjoy both calibers. The .260/.260 AI are both excellent calibers. And your .280 AI choice will be an excellent one for your standard long action rifle, because all you'll have to swap is the barrel. Everything else stays the same.

For you loads for the .280 AI, I would use Berger 168 VLD's, backed by 7828 SSC and a Federal 210M primer. Alot of people don't use 7828 for the standard LA calibers, but I use it in both my .25-06 AI and .30-06 AI and it works just fine. I even get some great velocities, too.

Mudrunner,

Thanks for the encouragement. I think both calibers will work out well for us. For the 280AI my first choice was going to be 7828ssc. I have about 10 pounds of it on the shelf. I was going to try the H1000 also. As far as primers go I have Winchester Large Rifle Magnum primers and CCI 250 primers. Both have worked well for me in my 7mm mag. I really have a very hard time finding Federal primers. I was planning on using the 168gr Berger VLD's since that is what I shoot in my 7mag. I should be able to push the 168's to 2900+.

Someone else noted the 264WM and its also my favorite 6.5 rifle. Mine is a Remington 721 I purchased in 1963 and in 2010 had it re barreled with a 30" Shilen barrel with 1 in 8 twist and 6 grove. I have been testing different bullets with it from a Sierra 85gr HP at 3830fps, Hornady 95gr Vmax, Sierra 100gr hp, Nosler 100gr ballistic tip, JLK 130gr VLD and Woodleigh 160gr PPSN at 3261fps and love the way it shoots.

There is a chance that I borrow my son rifle from time to time. And realistically it was an easier way to convince my wife to let me build two rifles since one is for our son..:D

There is a chance that I borrow my son rifle from time to time. And realistically it was an easier way to convince my wife to let me build two rifles since one is for our son..:D

Good plan. I had to get a .260 for myself because I was borrowing my wife's too much

I'd do the 6.5x284 for overall performance and Lapua brass. If you want to step up to a mag bolt face I'm absolutely loving my 6.5 SAUM.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.